• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got me there.

I've still no evidence that Dick's is anti Second Amendment.

Obviously the practicing of the anti-gun post-Newtown sentiment of refusing to sell modern sporting rifles (or honor their contract commitments with manufacturers and customers,) is not enough "evidence" to compel you to remove your loyalty to Dicks. What would they have to do to push you away from supporting them with your words and or dollars?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No shortage of places to buy guns and ammo. The vast majority of those places support our Second Amendment.
    Dicks Sporting Goods does NOT support the Second Amendment, thus supporting them with our $ is the same as supporting any other anti-gunner.

because Dick's is exactly like all of Bloomberg's .orgs. In fact, i'll bet the big Dick himself is funding Bloomberg with every ammo purchase we make. Why buying ammo at Dick's is literally funding all the efforts to enact the most absurd gun legislation. OMG we have to stop this madness!!!

Seriously, there's more than one major flaw in your argument. I stopped shopping at Dick's simply to protest their caving to public pressure. I'm not about to try to make up a bunch of false equivalencies to make it any more than it is.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    because Dick's is exactly like all of Bloomberg's .orgs. In fact, i'll bet the big Dick himself is funding Bloomberg with every ammo purchase we make. Why buying ammo at Dick's is literally funding all the efforts to enact the most absurd gun legislation. OMG we have to stop this madness!!!

Seriously, there's more than one major flaw in your argument. I stopped shopping at Dick's simply to protest their caving to public pressure. I'm not about to try to make up a bunch of false equivalencies to make it any more than it is.

I can see both lines of argument on this. FOR ME, I see Dick's as being not-pro-2A, but that doesn't necessarily make them anti-2A. I dislike the fact that they caved to pressure and left Troy industries out to dry, so I generally don't buy there. However, in a town with only 4-5 semi-reliable places to find ammo, Dick's in on my list, but always at the bottom of the list.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So we're not supposed to shop ANYWHERE that stopped selling a particular kind of gun? How about stores that stopped selling guns altogether? Sears, J.C. Penney, K-Mart, just about every hardware store used to sell guns. Now they don't. Clearly they are anti-Second Amendment. As for contract commitments- that's what lawsuits and lawyers are for....I have some experience in this. I assume that either the contract allowed for termination or Troys Indus. is pursuing its remedies.

Truthfully, I haven't bought anything at Dick's for a long time, but not because I trying to send a message. Dick's sells guns and ammunition. It is a throwback to a time when all sporting goods stores did and has an effect of mainstreaming guns and ammo, to an extent, because guns are not limited to specialty stores where ony guys with tactical beards and cargo pants seem to belong.

Dick's may make boneheaded decisions at times. Every business does. That does not make it ant-Second Amendment. Cite me an instance of a Dick's policy, decision, etc. that advocates the restriction of gun ownership rights. If that's out there, I'll change my tune.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So we're not supposed to shop ANYWHERE that stopped selling a particular kind of gun? How about stores that stopped selling guns altogether? Sears, J.C. Penney, K-Mart, just about every hardware store used to sell guns. Now they don't. Clearly they are anti-Second Amendment. As for contract commitments- that's what lawsuits and lawyers are for....I have some experience in this. I assume that either the contract allowed for termination or Troys Indus. is pursuing its remedies.
    Sears and Penney's sold guns? K-Mart still exist?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I will admit that I have NOT read the entire thread, so if this has been stated already, it will be stated again.
    I think some people make a BIG deal about nothing. I would have just answered the question and gone on. In my opinion it really was not that invasive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sears and Penney's sold guns? K-Mart still exist?

Sears, Penney's and Wards sold guns well into the '80s.

...and I've heard that some K-Marts still exist.

I also expect all Dick's protesters to remain intellectually consistent by turning in any Smith and Wessons they have for making a "gun safety" deal with the Clinton Administration.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own a Marlin 60 I got from K-Mart in about 1993. I also own a J.C. Higgins 12 ga, circa 1948- a Sears store brand.

I had a Ted Williams 12g. pump that I got at Sears in the early 70's, A marlin bolt action .22LR from K-mart and another .22 from penny's if memory serves. Had being the key word as the 1st "X" took care of that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Seriously, there's more than one major flaw in your argument. I stopped shopping at Dick's simply to protest their caving to public pressure. I'm not about to try to make up a bunch of false equivalencies to make it any more than it is.

I don't have an argument. All I have is the fact that Dicks gave in to the pressure of anti-gun groups and supporters in the height of the strongest challenge to our Second Amendment to date. When we needed our supporters to stand firm, they went with the anti's. That action shows that their resolve stands with those who will happily remove the Second Amendment.

Supporting their business is supporting a business that is proven to take the other side. You may call that what you choose, I call it anti-gun...

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Sears, Penney's and Wards sold guns well into the '80s.

...and I've heard that some K-Marts still exist.

I also expect all Dick's protesters to remain intellectually consistent by turning in any Smith and Wessons they have for making a "gun safety" deal with the Clinton Administration.

the old smith & wesson made that deal. When safe t lock bought the company from the Britts that deal was null and void. So that point my friend holds no water.

No one is telling you where to shop, shop where you want to and I, we will not shop where we want to, it's that simple. I don't need to justify why I don't shop at certain places no more than you have to justify where you shop, I really don't care where you spend your money.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    the old smith & wesson made that deal. When safe t lock bought the company from the Britts that deal was null and void. So that point my friend holds no water.

No one is telling you where to shop, shop where you want to and I, we will not shop where we want to, it's that simple. I don't need to justify why I don't shop at certain places no more than you have to justify where you shop, I really don't care where you spend your money.

...so why won't people shop at Dick's? Still looking for a good answer.

Did Smith not make the deal? Did stores not sell guns in the past and stopped doing so?

What makes Dick's different? Simply saying "no one is forcing...." understood....no one is forcing anyone to do anything, but when people take "principled" stances, I want to know what basis that principle has. Explain to me a rational reason why Dick's is viewed as anti-Second Amendment. I haven't heard one yet.

What's the principle? Once you do something dumb, we never forget? Apparently not- people seem to have forgotten Smith and Wesson's deal and give them all kinds of money. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't. I'm look for logic and consistency.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Now that's some good thinking right there!
    I scored three 100 rd CCI Mini mags at Walmart for $7.47 each. Mrs Glue was with me so she got three as well. The Guy asked if I was a US citizen and I answered yes, Cuzz I am. He then said this isn't for a handgun is it? Feeling prompted by the way he asked the question I replied with a no.

My first thought was to ask what a handgun had to do with it, but then started thinking about if they have a wig section in the store and lost my train of thought about the handgun question.

Why the wig? So that I could put on a disguise and return for another 300 rounds. :shady:

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    I don't shop at dicks, because their fly fishing section is smaller than a kitchen cabinet. I can find better deals for anything else in better places. Just can't stand those that don't take real fishing seriously. /p

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    ...so why won't people shop at Dick's? Still looking for a good answer.

Did Smith not make the deal? Did stores not sell guns in the past and stopped doing so?

What makes Dick's different? Simply saying "no one is forcing...." understood....no one is forcing anyone to do anything, but when people take "principled" stances, I want to know what basis that principle has. Explain to me a rational reason why Dick's is viewed as anti-Second Amendment. I haven't heard one yet.

What's the principle? Once you do something dumb, we never forget? Apparently not- people seem to have forgotten Smith and Wesson's deal and give them all kinds of money. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't. I'm look for logic and consistency.

I can't answer why other don't shop at Dick's, I have my reasons. As to what is the principle, I don't need to explain my reasons to you no more than you to explain yours to me.

As in the case with Smith & Wesson I already stated that was under a different ownership and only the name of the company is the same, not the same owners, policies or beliefs. If Dick's were to change ownership and their policies I more than likely would shop there again, but until they do one or the other they can kiss by behind.

Top Bottom