• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd guess the state unemployment office will be bottle necked until the pitchforks come out. Then they'll release the floodgates to anyone asking?

Maybe as soon as every other question at the Gov's daily afternoon press conference concerns this backlog of claims?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Restaurant. And it’s not $600, it’s an EXTRA $600 on top of whatever benefit they qualify for which could be as high as $390 per week, so $990/ week for 4 months not too shabby for mailbox money.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I was wondering what type of work these folks do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It must be based on the store's loss prevention metrics. BG Walmart has them. Many bottles at the Heartland crossing do. (Higher end Bourbon-like products are in a small (2x2) case... probably 6-8 skus) The neighborhood WM at Kentucky and 465 had such a problem the ENTIRE spirits case is locked and treated like guns: Ring a doorbell. Tell the associate what you want. They carry it to the front for you and when you get to the register you have to ask the cashier to go get it from the CSM/Self serve checkout station. The last (and final) trip I went through the self checkout because I saw where she took it. I got to the checkout but couldn't get the guys attention without yelling like an a-hole. When I walked over to get his attention, I lost my place in line and had to get behind another person. :xmad: I was NOT a happy camper. Luckily it was the store manager I snagged. He got a polite ear full. He was unsympathetic and a bit condescending "But do you know why we do it?" "No S, Sherlock. But that's not my problem you dont have better security and have to treat me and everyone else like a criminal."

~snip~

I'll try and remember to look next time I'm in that store. Like I said, it may have changed since I last bought liquor in there. Kroger has had the anti-theft bottle tops forever, which is why I remember being surprised that "that" Walmart didn't. Still crazy that they wouldn't keep the tools at all the registers though. That would be annoying. And speaking of annoying, that same Walmart was keeping shave cream in a locked cabinet last time I wanted to buy some there. Steal all the booze you want, but leave our shave cream alone! :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

"They're volunteering to come off layoff status to build these ventilators. They are committed, they're enthusiastic, they're passionate."

A engineer friend of mine at the GM plant in Bedford has raised his hand to go up to Kokomo to build these ventilators. If they let him go, he’s going to live in his camper trailer while he’s up there. He’s a good man.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    FTR im a chef, ran a small kitchen, and I was DENIED unemployment benefits because I had only been in my last job for 8 months before covid restaurant layoffs. There are a lot of people being DENIED for lots of different reasons

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Also it seems that schools closing and not having childcare makes you eligible for unemployment. My wife is a nurse and her surgery center closed so she is staying home with the kiddos. However her employer is saying they will reject all unemployment claims cause she can float to where ever the need is. From her coworkers it appears that the need so far is ICU's. She has a history of asthma so there's no way she needs to be taking care of covid patients . For childcare her employer actually recommended having friends watch the kids or going on care.com and enlisting a stranger to watch the kids...no thank you! We have zero family close by and it wouldn't be social distancing to have friends watch the kids. We went ahead and filed for unemployment and awaiting to see if it gets approved.

Also to be 100% transparent we have used a daycare part time and they are still open however they are stretch to their max with kids and low staffing. So sending my kids would just make their situation worse but I think they would accept them if they had to. So for the safety of wife and kids they are staying home. This is hitting her hard as she is truly one of the hardest working people that I have ever met and she wants desperately wants to work but isn't willing to sacrifice our family's safety.

If we get unemployment it would help greatly but if it is reject we'll survive, the safety of my family is more important than money.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    FTR im a chef, ran a small kitchen, and I was DENIED unemployment benefits because I had only been in my last job for 8 months before covid restaurant layoffs. There are a lot of people being DENIED for lots of different reasons
    Where did you work before? Unemployment goes off of base quarters from the previous year?

Indiana Unemployment Eligibility Requirements: Past Earnings

[FONT=&amp]Like every state, Indiana looks at your recent work history and earnings during a one-year "base period" to determine your eligibility for unemployment. (For more information, see Nolo's article, Unemployment Compensation: Understanding the Base Period). In Indiana, as in most states, the base period is the earliest four of the five complete calendar quarters before you filed your benefits claim. For example, if you filed your claim in December of 2015, the base period would be from July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]To qualify for benefits in Indiana, you must meet all of the following four requirements:[/FONT]

• You must have earned at least $4,200 in the entire base period.
    • You must have earned at least $2,500 in the last six months of the base period.
    • In the entire base period, you must have earned at least 1.5 times your wages in the highest paid quarter of the base period.
    So it’s possible depending on employment and earnings you didn’t qualify?

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Where did you work before? Unemployment goes off of base quarters from the previous year?

Indiana Unemployment Eligibility Requirements: Past Earnings

[FONT=&amp]Like every state, Indiana looks at your recent work history and earnings during a one-year "base period" to determine your eligibility for unemployment. (For more information, see Nolo's article, Unemployment Compensation: Understanding the Base Period). In Indiana, as in most states, the base period is the earliest four of the five complete calendar quarters before you filed your benefits claim. For example, if you filed your claim in December of 2015, the base period would be from July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]To qualify for benefits in Indiana, you must meet all of the following four requirements:[/FONT]

• You must have earned at least $4,200 in the entire base period.
    • You must have earned at least $2,500 in the last six months of the base period.
    • In the entire base period, you must have earned at least 1.5 times your wages in the highest paid quarter of the base period.
    So it’s possible depending on employment and earnings you didn’t qualify?

They based mine off of my employment history from Oct 18 thru Sept 19.
    I stepped away from the restaurant biz and had been working with my brother to start his business and after a year or so when he got rolling he bought me out and I wanted to get back into a kitchen. So Aug '19 I started my (current?/former?) position and from the end of Aug '19 when I started thru the end of Sept I was JUST a hair under the 4200 threshold lol unbelievable. What about Oct 19 thru Mar 20, why doesnt any of that count? Oh well. But I'm just glad my wife has had a good job for a long time so my denial wasn't as harsh for me as it will be for so many others.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So let me get this straight.

1. You can quit a job and draw unemployment

2. You get 600 more bones a week in your check on top of your normal unemployment check

Ol John that picks up cigarette butts and sweeps the parking lot for $10 bucks a hour can make more money sitting in his trailer drinking PBR and watching Sanford and son reruns?

So generally lower income people tend to waste money when they have any income beyond necessary stuff like Cigarettes and PBR. So I guess we will be able to get some great buys on big screen TV’s and such soon.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There is a bank branch I drive past on my commute to work. I have driven by it at least 2-3 times a week for the past 29+ years. I have NEVER seen anything like I saw today. See photo below. The drive-thru was packed with all lanes full and cars backed up into the street. This is in a lower economic area so lots of SS, disability, welfare, snap, etc recipients. I would assume most of these folks are account holders who would have ATM cards but maybe not. Did a slew of tax return or stimulus payments go out?

I know this, if you do not have a substantial cash reserve at home you should.

attachment.php

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just was on a test drive and my bank looked just like that. Line for drive thru was around the building and out to the street. Glad I remotely deposit my paycheck so I won't have to wait in that line after work today.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Why? If the banks fail, FDIC will pick up the tab. If they don't, the money in your account will be so much worthless numbers on a computer screen, and you'll need a suitcase full of paper money to buy a loaf of bread, if it's worth anything at all. Doesn't even make good toilet paper. The new currency will be beans and bullets.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    There is a bank branch I drive past on my commute to work. I have driven by it at least 2-3 times a week for the past 29+ years. I have NEVER seen anything like I saw today. See photo below. The drive-thru was packed with all lanes full and cars backed up into the street. This is in a lower economic area so lots of SS, disability, welfare, snap, etc recipients. I would assume most of these folks are account holders who would have ATM cards but maybe not. Did a slew of tax return or stimulus payments go out?

attachment.php

Scrambling to set up direct deposit accounts? :dunno:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

attachment.php

All normal banking is now happening through the drive throughs. I don't think that is particularly high volume for a payday (Friday); it's just all grouped outside.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    All normal banking is now happening through the drive throughs. I don't think that is particularly high volume for a payday (Friday); it's just all grouped outside.

I should have mentioned the parking lot of the branch was typically vacant to 1-2 cars at most in the a.m. The photo was taken a little after 9:00 this morning.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I sold an item on FB this morning. Guy said he had to hit more than one ATM as a couple did not have cash in them. I figure end of the month pay checks, welfare, and tax $ ? You don't think people may be hording cash because they can't spend it?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Why? If the banks fail, FDIC will pick up the tab. If they don't, the money in your account will be so much worthless numbers on a computer screen, and you'll need a suitcase full of paper money to buy a loaf of bread, if it's worth anything at all. Doesn't even make good toilet paper. The new currency will be beans and bullets.

I'd really like to know if anyone has another take on this. Am I wrong in my thinking? I see nothing wrong with having a couple thousand in the safe for general purposes, but why would I need a substantial cash reserve at home?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    So let me get this straight.

1. You can quit a job and draw unemployment

2. You get 600 more bones a week in your check on top of your normal unemployment check

Ol John that picks up cigarette butts and sweeps the parking lot for $10 bucks a hour can make more money sitting in his trailer drinking PBR and watching Sanford and son reruns?

So generally lower income people tend to waste money when they have any income beyond necessary stuff like Cigarettes and PBR. So I guess we will be able to get some great buys on big screen TV’s and such soon.

At least my wife didn't quit her job she was laid off, replacement job offered is very much beyond her knowledge/capabilities (ICU).

Top Bottom