• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I've never seen anyone OC in a Simon Mall.

I have to think mall security would ask anyone doing so (even legally) to leave.

I OCed in Circle Centre on Tuesday of last week, even stopped at the customer help desk, no one said a word to me:dunno:

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I kinda wonder if it's time that we put some "weapon" signage requirements into law. IIRC, Tennessee has very specific sign guidelines in regards to guns, pretty much dictating the size, shape and verbiage on the sign. There's nothing in Indiana as far as I can tell that specifies how the notice is put, so Simon and Kerasotes theaters for example can list a no weapons policy as an item in a multi-item list of conduct requirements. If you don't read the whole list at Kerasotes, you'd miss the line forbidding weapons. There's also nothing stopping someone from typing "no guns" in 4 point type on a return address label, sticking it to the back of the cash register, and saying they posted their policy when the police come to prone you out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I kinda wonder if it's time that we put some "weapon" signage requirements into law. IIRC, Tennessee has very specific sign guidelines in regards to guns, pretty much dictating the size, shape and verbiage on the sign. There's nothing in Indiana as far as I can tell that specifies how the notice is put, so Simon and Kerasotes theaters for example can list a no weapons policy as an item in a multi-item list of conduct requirements. If you don't read the whole list at Kerasotes, you'd miss the line forbidding weapons. There's also nothing stopping someone from typing "no guns" in 4 point type on a return address label, sticking it to the back of the cash register, and saying they posted their policy when the police come to prone you out.

Uh, no thanks!

What's next, put the "No Food or Drinks" signs into law? How about a D Felony for illegal nachos?

For starters, the police cannot "prone you out" for a store policy. You can be asked to leave, and that is it. As it SHOULD be.

Rather than further erode your right to defend yourself, how about business owners got over that fact the LAWFUL carry is absolutely NO RISK to their business. Do you think crooks care what any signs or laws say, anyway? Those signs aren't to keep criminals out. Those signs are to keep good folks in line.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My point was that signage against carrying can be vague. Just look at the differing opinions of what Simon's policy is, especially by their own employees. Here's the TN statute. When you see this sign in TN, you know they don't respect your rights, and can choose to stay or go without confusion or interference.

I know that the signs are a slap to those of us who aren't afraid of our own shadows. I dropped my Costco membership after they mysteriously posted their stores no guns. I don't spend my money in places that choose to ignore people's rights. I just think that if an establishment chooses not to get our business, the sign should be obvious to protect both sides from liability. I haven't been in a Kerasotes theater since January, but try reading everything on their code of conduct sign, while you're in line at a peak time, surrounded by teenagers in Gryffindor costumes.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Just CC at the mall like most of us do and there shouldn't be any problems. I don't think Simon really cares either, as long as people act responsibly. Posting such a rule helps them not be liable when al Quada starts blasting in one of their malls.

IMO we don't need more rules on how to post rules.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    My point was that signage against carrying can be vague. Just look at the differing opinions of what Simon's policy is, especially by their own employees. Here's the TN statute. When you see this sign in TN, you know they don't respect your rights, and can choose to stay or go without confusion or interference.

I know that the signs are a slap to those of us who aren't afraid of our own shadows. I dropped my Costco membership after they mysteriously posted their stores no guns. I don't spend my money in places that choose to ignore people's rights. I just think that if an establishment chooses not to get our business, the sign should be obvious to protect both sides from liability. I haven't been in a Kerasotes theater since January, but try reading everything on their code of conduct sign, while you're in line at a peak time, surrounded by teenagers in Gryffindor costumes.

Within that TN statute, it states that it's a Class B Misdemeanor ($500) if you carry on property where it's posted. No thanks, I'd rather have the property owner ask me to leave, rather than leaving myself open to a big fine if I happen to miss the sign.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    none around me are posted but i did get the boot from the muncie mall and they told me that their policy state that no firearms unless you are a police officer. i didn't really care to argue the fact that their policy doesn't make exceptions for leo because i was already on my way out anyways.

I've yet to be bothered in Muncie, Mounds, Castleton, or the Exit 10 Shops for OC'ing, just goes to show you what dressy appearance + glock = no bother...

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'll fill ya in here, I work at a Simon Mall, the official policy is for no firearms at any of there locations, but I don't believe most of the security would enforce it, might ask about it, but u shouldn't have a problem, even I carry at Simon malls

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I'll fill ya in here, I work at a Simon Mall, the official policy is for no firearms at any of there locations, but I don't believe most of the security would enforce it, might ask about it, but u shouldn't have a problem, even I carry at Simon malls

Thanks for your reply. I very rarely carry OC most of the time carry CC but I just joined here and thought I would ask.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Does the MC Sports at the Tippecanoe mall carry guns or ammo? I guess it's not a big deal either way, because Dick's does, but I'm just wondering..

Unless it's changed in the last year or so since I've been there, and they haven't since the store opened in 2001, no, they don't.

And when I went to College Mall in Bloomington before Halloween, I went into the entrance next to Radio Shack, down the hall from Target, and specifically stopped to read their mall rules signage. I don't know if they have the same signage at the other entrances, but it does say no weapons. I CC'd only due to the clothing I was wearing, but I didn't see security. I wasn't being careful about concealing and no one said a thing to me.

skyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Frankly, I agree with Pocketman, but I will carry in all of their locations especially when with my two daughters and wife!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Hammerhead, that's interesting. I used the same entrance and didn't see the signage. Where was it located?

As you walk in the doors there, in between the two sets, there's a bunch of signs on the right hand side on the wall. I don't know the exact verbiage, but it was about halfway down the list of "rules" that you couldn't carry a weapon "capable of doing harm" or some such, including guns.

There was no exception for LEOs. What I gathered from reading their "rules" was that the wording they use is to keep criminals, thugs, and ne'er do wells from coming in and being felonious. Simon Malls has always been against teenagers and "gangbangers" hanging out in their properties, being a "disturbance" and bothering the sheep. They believe that by stating their "rules" this keeps the "undesirables" from being undesirable, and gives them grounds to eject anyone for breaking their policies.

However, they paint with such a broad brush, as do many places that post these policies, that they don't see where legal people, including LEOs (but only in the printed rules, they won't kick a cop out for carrying a gun), should be allowed to carry. They think if they keep everyone from doing it, criminals won't do it, so legal owners won't need to. The logic is flawed, and so are the policies.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I've been to quite a few INGO events, and I guarantee I'm safer at any of those (with a bunch of gun nuts) than I am in a Simon mall parking lot during the holidays. Too bad Simon can't guarantee my safety while on their property.

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    A buddy of mine is mall security at a Simon Mall and he told me that if he were to see someone with a gun, he is supposed to ask them to leave and if they dont he is supposed to call the police. Now he told me all this knowing that I carry and I probably had my gun on me. This was also 2 weeks after a security guard was assaulted and all they did was give them a collapsible baton to protect themselves so Im sure he wasnt too worried about me carrying.

FFEMT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Madison Co.
    I realize this is an old thread but I had an experience at Hamilton Town Center off I-69 210 exit. I walked out of Kays jewerly store and was OCing like I do most days. As I'm walking to my car I realized I was being stared down by mall security. Now I realize that he is just doing his job but the way he did it was very unprofessional. He ran across the road and came up to me.

Security: Hey pal!
    Me: Yes sir?
    Security: This is private property and you need to put that damn thing in your car if you're going to be here. (he says this while pointing at my gun)
    Me: Excuse me? You don't have to be an ass about it, for one. For two, I realize this private property but you might want to put up signs saying no guns allowed. For three, I am getting ready to leave anyways. I come here regularly and have OCed in many stores here, and have passed by many security guards. Nothing has ever been said to me. Thank you for telling me, but now I won't be back. For some reason if I am back, I will carry concealed. Now stop and think how many people here have guns that you can't see. Next time don't be an ass to someone who is trying to exercise his/her right and follow the rules
    Security: (has a dip in and spits right at my feet) Whatever sir!
    Me: (just walked away)

I use to dip and I understand you have to spit, but don't do it at someones feet! Very unprofessional! My girlfriend works at that mall and I am there at least 3 or 4 days out of the week. I have never been told that I had to leave my gun in my car while I was there. The people who work at Kay's even thanked me for OCing. If he thought I was going to rob somewhere, then I'm pretty sure I would have robbed the jewerly store I just walked out of! Now I know that you have to leave your gun in your car at that mall. I just thought the whole situation was very unprofessional.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    What about a mall like Hamilton Town Center, where it is an outdoor mall? Would it just depend on the individual stores whether carrying a firearm is allowed? There is still security that walks around outside, on the mall property.

FFEMT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Madison Co.
    What about a mall like Hamilton Town Center, where it is an outdoor mall? Would it just depend on the individual stores whether carrying a firearm is allowed? There is still security that walks around outside, on the mall property.

I justed posted about that above yours...you can't carry. Needs to stay in your car.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I apologize FFEMT. I just skimmed through the first couple of pages on this thread and did not see anything about Hamilton and did a Quick Reply.

That is pretty ridiculous how the security guard handled the situation. I guess I'll know now to CC there. Thanks for sharing.

FFEMT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Madison Co.
    I apologize FFEMT. I just skimmed through the first couple of pages on this thread and did not see anything about Hamilton and did a Quick Reply.

That is pretty ridiculous how the security guard handled the situation. I guess I'll know now to CC there. Thanks for sharing.

Oh no problem! Just wanted to let you know!

Top Bottom