• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've been working on my can for a couple days now. Filthy! Hoppes #9, stainless brushes, and a pick is only getting me so far. Anyone have some miracle solvents they'd recommend to make this easier?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Miracle solvent? Google “the dip”. It works extremely well. Now, you don’t want that to touch your skin…. I don’t want to be around it. Purple power is decent.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I normally use the purple Simple Green in a sonic cleaner. I was out of it last week and used white vinegar instead and it worked surprisingly well, but that might be because I fell asleep and left the baffles in it overnight.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My experience with sonic cleaners is they remove bluing, don't know what your suppressor finish is. My heavy duty all purpose solvent is Methylene chloride, dissolves anything organic, but follow confined space procedure if you use it in an enclosed area as it is a wicked oxygen displacer.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think the body is blued tool steel. The main baffle stack is ti, and the larger caliber blast baffle is tool steel or stainless. Don't really care much about the bluing. Soaked it overnight with Hoppes. Rinsed it and then did a 30 minute cycle in the ultrasonic with simple green. Still was a pain. Ran the baffles through the vibratory with walnut shells for a couple hours. A pick and some patience and they were good to go. The whole time, the tubes were just drying. It was like everything inside turned to ash. It scraped clean in just a couple minutes. Pleasant surprise. I think I'll try Breakthrough next time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My experience with sonic cleaners is they remove bluing, don't know what your suppressor finish is. My heavy duty all purpose solvent is Methylene chloride, dissolves anything organic, but follow confined space procedure if you use it in an enclosed area as it is a wicked oxygen displacer.
    As a kid my dad had a cleaning tank in the basement that was full of carbon tetrachloride. He would drop parts in it and plug in a air hose to start the agitation.
    Back when we played with a cup full of mercury.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My dad used to let us roll mercury around in our hands too! Lol
    As a kid the local ymca building got a new boiler to heat the indoor pool. The old one was the size of a truck.
    It had a thermometer on it that was 4' or so long. I took it off and dumped it in a milk carton. I probably had a pint of it that we played with.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Stories like this, my own childhood experiences and a lifetime as an industrial chemist allow me to sleep well even when big media is screaming.;)
    My ex bil was a forensic chemist for Andersons PD, me once made a comment that he wished he had the software because he wanted to put a chunk of me in his mass spectrometer.
    I told him, he had a boring childhood.

Top Bottom