• ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJ-OK4jiSY&sns=em

I believe his point is that you are neither the accuser, prosecutor, judge, or jury, nor have you seen the evidence. There is rather significant difference between "alleged" and "convicted". If convicted, by all means shout it from the hills and let the bastard rot, but until then, everyone deserves a fair trial.

Where is this work camp I want to go. I think he misunderstand me my question was wonder if you think it would bea good or bad Ideal to put a sign in your yard like this. And again that sign does not call anybody out by name.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i think it would be a bad idea he is basically calling the guy a child molester with no proof other than an accusation like it says in the article. that is a good way to ruin someones life, the same thing happened to some other guy in indiana and every accusation turned out to be a lie. if i remember correctly the kid lied about the whole thing.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Maybe you should reread my post I did not say anything about what I believe. I said I was on the fence about the sign. I cannot speak for my friend. That sign is not calling anybody out by name its just simply saying child molesters.

Exactly, because you said you were on the fence about the sign, just trying to find out why you were on the fence, and why your friend thought it was appropriate.

If someone made this sign and put it in his window or on his lawn as a reaction to his neighbor being accused of any crime, I'd think he was already convinced his neighbor was guilty of said crime.

If I understand your theory correctly if I post a sign that burglars would be shot that every person walking by my house is automatically convicted.

Not quite. If you had a sign in your window that said that, then a neighbor was brought up on charges of a burglary, no one would see it as an issue, you had prior establishment of a punishment fitting for a crime committed against you. Now, if you put up the sign immediately after he was released on bail and you read about it in the paper, then you'd be calling him out, because your sign is a reaction, not because it was proactive.

I'm not going to say having the sign is a bad idea, but the timing of it right now might not be the greatest.

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    God forbid the guy with the sign ever gets ACCUSED of anything.

But anyway, the sign is highly inappropriate in regards to the kids. I imagine it will scare the **** out of them. Making them think there is some kind of horrible monster across the street who is so dangerous, Dad has to put a sign up to threaten his life. And who is it this evil monster wants to do horrible unspeakable things to: ME!.

Unfortunately, in his quest to show everyone he's a big, bad, gun-toting badass, he's going to have a couple of girls afraid to leave their house and jumping out of their skin at every little noise.

P.S. I'm always a little skeptical of people who go to such great lengths to say how disgusted they are with child molesters. What's the saying? "Thou doth protest too much".

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    God forbid the guy with the sign ever gets ACCUSED of anything.

But anyway, the sign is highly inappropriate in regards to the kids. I imagine it will scare the **** out of them. Making them think there is some kind of horrible monster across the street who is so dangerous, Dad has to put a sign up to threaten his life. And who is it this evil monster wants to do horrible unspeakable things to: ME!.

Unfortunately, in his quest to show everyone he's a big, bad, gun-toting badass, he's going to have a couple of girls afraid to leave their house and jumping out of their skin at every little noise.

P.S. I'm always a little skeptical of people who go to such great lengths to say how disgusted they are with child molesters. What's the saying? "Thou doth protest too much".

So you signed up on INGO just to make this your first post... Really?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Making the assumption that the dude across the street IS a molester... is a yard sign really the best _tactical_ decision? Even leaving out all of the other stuff?

a) If it ever did come to physical violence - it's going to get used against you in court. You WILL have been presumed to have picked the fight to some extent
    b) that said, it IS a tool of intimidation and protest and decidedly shows the person that they are unwelcome in the area. Intimidation and protest in general can be a helpful thing - but it's a double edged sword - a negative stigma can also come with it.. NOT saying that that's the case here - just pointing out that intimidation would be the logical point of yard signs, OC Events etc. And while that may indeed run the person off - there is always a backlash. And you will get hit with the backlash.

If I was across the street - I might choose different tactics, as opposed to the "get up in your face" method. But to each their own.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If your friend ever has to put him down expect the sign to be used in court against him. Just saying.

Seems that this comment was skipped over, so I thought I would repeat it. By making that sign, he opens up all sorts of possibilities if the accused molester is ever attacked.

Besides that, I am a firm believer that firearms should NEVER be used as an object of intimidation.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Bad idea. Besides the possibility of slander, defamation charges, it could be used to show a predisposition to violence. If the guy across the street 'loses it' becasue of the sign and charges across the street and attacks your friend, your friend might just be convicted of manslaughter 'by egging him on' or being passive aggressive.
    I think he'll lose in court.

I have a different attitude about some of this too. A relative of mine was, (and still is) a vamp. She started at age 6 or 7. Very aggressive too. I thnk she even got all the male members on my side and plenty on the other side. Not me though she complained to my wife one day.
    Thing is, he could have fallen victim to one like her. The truth will come out at some point. I tend to wait and see nowadays. I'd definitely keep an eye on him.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    E2993674-95CF-4793-8A10-F5B0B09F038C-2239-0000032F6DC4216E.jpg

........Do you think this is a good ideal. I'm one the fence.

No. Its not a Glock. :D

protectedbyglock.png

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. Warn your kids and watch them well.

2. Don't put up signs because it is cool to have a class of people we can threaten to kill even before the trial.

3. Focus on the teachable moment for your kids which is self care, self protection, talking to family, staying safe, and not public lynching parties virtual or literal.

4. Know that there are sex offenders on parole, past parole, awaiting trial all over. Run one of the databases and understand that if this is the thing you want to get obsessed with - you are gonna chase an army of them in a 1 mile area of your home.

5. The name of the game is protection. It is not eradicaton. In the end, the legal system is your friend and the police are your enforcers. Put up that sign and all of these allies will discount you as the nutter across the street instead of the concerned father in the neighborhood watch.

6. If you really want to do anything, watch and report if the guy does anything suspicious.

Otherwise keep your kids close and show them your love & care, not your fear or rage.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I don't see any need for the sign. He doesn't know all the facts and may be making a rash judgment about guilt that is not his call to make. Leave judgement to the courts, it will happen soon enough. Take necessary precautions but the sign is uncalled for. It also advertises to potential gun thieves a place to watch for an opportunity to break in.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Sign is in poor taste due to its timing and our crazy "innocent until proven guilty" model. To say it isn't referring to the guy across the street is disingenuous according to what you have already stated above.

We had a guy live 4 houses down from us a few years ago that was a teacher nearby. He was accused of being on tape with a minor as well. He lost his teaching job, wife, and kids before the trial even was set. Became a black sheep of our community and lost everything. Trial came and the "video" was so dark you couldn't even tell the race of the individual let alone facial features. He was found to be innocent through cell records and the fact that he was in the hospital getting blood work done all day in the hours he was accused to being breaking the law. Later the girl admitted lying because she was mad that he didn't react to her when she told him her feelings about him.

So the teacher was released and got his job back, but quit soon after due to continued death threats. He is still divorced to this day. All because the only mistake he made was failing to report that some kid had a crush on him since he thought he dealt with it at the time.

Not saying the guy you are talking about in the OP is innocent in any way. Just saying that you friend is creating more harm than good with his sign until the trial is over. You just never know.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    ^^^ THIS ^^^ x 1000.

ANYONE can make an accusation. Molestation is, perhaps, the quickest and most effective means of destroying a person. Especially if that person's a teacher or other youth leader.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I hope he is cleared of charges and your friend gets into legal problems himself. For 2 reasons..... one being this mans life will not be ruined.... two this girl would get the help she needs at a young age still...... and three that sign is drawn in crayons.... and wildly inapproptiate.

Once convicted do what you want.... would hate to see it turn around on your friend one day. Be accussed of something and automatically be assumed guilty.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    A friend of mine with three little daughters just posted this sign in his front yard. He lives across the street from that child molester in Crownpoint. That child molester is out on bail.

E2993674-95CF-4793-8A10-F5B0B09F038C-2239-0000032F6DC4216E.jpg

Thera the link to the story.
    Crown Point man accused of child molesting, videotaping assault : Crown Point

Do you think this is a good ideal. I'm one the fence.

Nothing like a visual aide showing intent at trial. Always helps the prosecutor change the time from a couple years to a life term!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    actually, look it up and make sure it wasn't statutory rape before you go all willy nilly. I've seen lots of 19 year old guys get screwed over by their girlfriend's parents when they catch em getting freaky and they get registered.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think provoking him is a bad idea.... The man is facing a sentence and its hard to tell how he is going to behave until then.

Should he decide to go postal, your friend just increased the chances he targets his kids.

This guy is sick... he did not commit a crime of opportunity. This sign might not be a deterrent for someone sick, like a "neighborhood watch" sign might be for a thief.

just my two cents... (and by no means am I saying your friend should cower, but I'm not sure provoking is a good idea)

Top Bottom