• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's already hurting a lot of good places. Unless you like viewing Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc. with mounds of trash and human waste starting to accumulate. Heck, we've already got San Francisco and Seattle if we want to see that.
    Which is both hilarious and sad. I mean, seriously, why are they still open if unmaintained? Are our fellow Americans so, well, nasty, that they will simply **** all over and leave it?

Freeze the spending accounts of the congress critters (rather than withhold pay for trash collectors) if you want to get something done. These shut-downs are nothing but a publicity stunt. They do NOTHING for the federal budget, and simply slap around a few voters.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Which is both hilarious and sad. I mean, seriously, why are they still open if unmaintained? Are our fellow Americans so, well, nasty, that they will simply **** all over and leave it?

Freeze the spending accounts of the congress critters (rather than withhold pay for trash collectors) if you want to get something done. These shut-downs are nothing but a publicity stunt. They do NOTHING for the federal budget, and simply slap around a few voters.

Yes, yes they are. I did read that some local businesses near the parks have taken it upon themselves to go in, haul away trash, maintain restrooms, etc., but it's not enough to keep up. I agree with freezing the spending accounts (and pay) of legislators, but most of them are (or are soon to be) millionaires, so I don't know how painful that would be for them.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

Always remember, "People Suck."

I think it should be a law that anytime we have a shutdown every single congressman should be booted from office. They have proven they cannot do their job and need to be replaced.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Always remember, "People Suck."

I think it should be a law that anytime we have a shutdown every single congressman should be booted from office. They have proven they cannot do their job and need to be replaced.

Uh, no thanks

Under that scenario shutdowns would become a desired means to an end and thus more likely

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Boarder Patrol and ICE are working without pay. Kind of ironic. How long will they allow them to work that way? Some will say, "They will get back pay." and they likely will. But bills due now don't get paid with an IOU. Will they get EXTRA pay for the late fees and possible hits on their credit?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are they motivated by their paycheck or their belief in the necessity of the work they do? And which would you prefer in anyone with a law enforcement role

ETA: I certainly would have no objection to the use of discretionary funds to help with such expenses (in any endeavor where the work of the people in question was considered vital, such as law enforcement) if it could be done legally. If it requires new appropriations, which I believe requires the acquiescence of the House, it could be a long cold winter for organizations leftist fervor places out of favor such as CBP

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Boarder Patrol and ICE are working without pay. Kind of ironic. How long will they allow them to work that way? Some will say, "They will get back pay." and they likely will. But bills due now don't get paid with an IOU. Will they get EXTRA pay for the late fees and possible hits on their credit?
    If you are living that close to the edge that a few weeks without pay will run you all out of resources, you're doing it wrong. I work for gov (local) and not at the high end, and we have 6 months of emergency fund plus are debt free. Got that way by making the hard choices and being careful. We have 2 credit cards, and pay them off every month. If we can do it, so can other gov employees. No excuses.

Many gov employees will not have to work, but will be paid anyway. After all, it's just your money.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

They get paid good money, if you work in govt and aren't prepared for this it's your own fault. If they can't manage a couple weeks without destroying their credit they're living beyond their means.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are they motivated by their paycheck or their belief in the necessity of the work they do? And which would you prefer in anyone with a law enforcement role

I think most people are motivated by a paycheck, and then interests... with the hopes that both overlap. Rarely, do people work out of a belief in its necessity, for free... and those that do, don't really see it a a necessity over something they enjoy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They get paid good money, if you work in govt and aren't prepared for this it's your own fault. If they can't manage a couple weeks without destroying their credit they're living beyond their means.

You're clear that the statement above is representative of most Americans?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think most people are motivated by a paycheck, and then interests... with the hopes that both overlap. Rarely, do people work out of a belief in its necessity, for free... and those that do, don't really see it a a necessity over something they enjoy.

Misdirection. They were not recruited or hired on the basis of working for free, that is a temporary condition of the current politics

The thrust of my question was - if these people 'manning the barricades', as virtually all LEOs do, are only motivated by money and not mission; are they not in the arguably in the wrong job and working for the wrong employer

How many Scot Petersons do we wish to employ?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, a lot of Americans probably sat down and had a 3,000 calorie breakfast today, it's not the govts fault you make bad choices.

But it is the government's fault (in this instance) when you work an honest job, and don't get paid for it. Unless you view working for a government entity an inherently bad choice.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    But it is the government's fault (in this instance) when you work an honest job, and don't get paid for it. Unless you view working for a government entity an inherently bad choice.

Well, generally, yes.

I view it as they know the pros and cons of taking the job. One of the cons are sometimes politics will effect your pay schedule. They’ll be paid, just not on time. We had shut downs during Obama’s terms also, however I don’t remember the same outrage. There may have been as I wasn’t a member here during those days, but I didn’t care then either. It’s all part of the business, even if it may suck for the innocent families that are caught in the middle, it’s a con of the job. All jobs have cons (and I don’t mean felons ;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you are living that close to the edge that a few weeks without pay will run you all out of resources, you're doing it wrong. I work for gov (local) and not at the high end, and we have 6 months of emergency fund plus are debt free. Got that way by making the hard choices and being careful. We have 2 credit cards, and pay them off every month. If we can do it, so can other gov employees. No excuses.

Many gov employees will not have to work, but will be paid anyway. After all, it's just your money.
    Yeah, they probably will miss one, maybe two paychecks (assuming bi-weekly or semi-monthly), and you really shouldn't be terribly inconvenienced...

...But, a lot of those folks missing out are janitors and others such employees, not just white collar workers.

And there's the loss of moral and trust here - if this happens now, who's to say it won't happen again? I imagine a lot of these folks are spending time job hunting while at home. And the people that leave are never the ones you want to leave.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, generally, yes.

I view it as they know the pros and cons of taking the job. One of the cons are sometimes politics will effect your pay schedule. They’ll be paid, just not on time. We had shut downs during Obama’s terms also, however I don’t remember the same outrage. There may have been as I wasn’t a member here during those days, but I didn’t care then either. It’s all part of the business, even if it may suck for the innocent families that are caught in the middle, it’s a con of the job. All jobs have cons (and I don’t mean felons ;)

We absolutely did have this level of outrage.

...but it was directed (appropriately) toward Cruz.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Here is a question I have been mulling over and over. I keep hearing the unessential positions/jobs branches are shut down. OK. I the reality of the free market when your job/position becomes such (Unessential) are you not released. People are downsized every day. No one really throws a fit. Except maybe those being downsized.
    This entire thing is somewhat confusing. How much Gov. do we actually need. Seriously.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a question I have been mulling over and over. I keep hearing the unessential positions/jobs branches are shut down. OK. I the reality of the free market when your job/position becomes such (Unessential) are you not released. People are downsized every day. No one really throws a fit. Except maybe those being downsized.
    This entire thing is somewhat confusing. How much Gov. do we actually need. Seriously.

Well, I like to go to National Parks, but those are closed because they're "unessential".

Top Bottom