• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    So, I posted a pic of a new gun on Facebook and called it my new ''toy." Did I make some kind a faux-pas that I am not aware of as a newbie? Most people appreciated and praised my new acquisition, until I got a text from my mom, who doesn't call or visit often and apparently has no knowledge of our new hobby, and desire to protect our family. (Her husband is a vet.)

She asks if I think it's funny to call a gun a toy, why did I think it was necessary to have one, and do I know that no one wants to come over to my house anymore if they know I have a gun.

Does everyone else have to deal with family like this? :dunno:

Do you warn everyone that comes over to your house? Should you tell the parents of kids coming over for a playdate, even if everything is ALWAYS locked up in a big safe?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, since mom does not call or visit hardly at all, then I would say to her what else is new...you never show up around here anyway. Don't loose sleep over it, you have people here on INGO that think like you do. Take care.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If your mom isn't calling or coming over anyway, no big deal IMO. Let her have her little hissy fit. At some point, tell her you're all growed up and you'll make your own decisions.

I don't tell anyone coming over anything about what I have. Should I be obligated to tell them I have poisonous household cleaners under the sink or herbicide in the shed? My kids know not to talk about firearms also. It's really no one else's business. Be responsible and maintain your privacy.

:twocents:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Try to educate it....if that dont work....remind her it is entirely her right not to come over just as it is your right to say what does and does not happen inside your home.
    The "toy" association probably wasnt the wisest word to use though. Just reinforce to her that you dont consider at a toy at all.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If your mom isn't calling or coming over anyway, no big deal IMO. Let her have her little hissy fit. At some point, tell her you're all growed up and you'll make your own decisions.

I don't tell anyone coming over anything about what I have. Should I be obligated to tell them I have poisonous household cleaners under the sink or herbicide in the shed? My kids know not to talk about firearms also. It's really no one else's business. Be responsible and maintain your privacy.

:twocents:

Hooky, you got guns at your house? Guess I will never visit then.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Try to educate it....if that dont work....remind her it is entirely her right not to come over just as it is your right to say what does and does not happen inside your home.
    The "toy" association probably wasnt the wisest word to use though. Just reinforce to her that you dont consider at a toy at all.

Yeah, but to us gun nuts it is a new toy. I say that every time I get a new toy.:D

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Well... Unless you killed or injured anyone with a toy as a child, I think it's safe to say that mom is just over reacting.
    Maybe she was just having a bad day. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So, I posted a pic of a new gun on Facebook and called it my new ''toy." Did I make some kind a faux-pas that I am not aware of as a newbie? Most people appreciated and praised my new acquisition, until I got a text from my mom, who doesn't call or visit often and apparently has no knowledge of our new hobby, and desire to protect our family. (Her husband is a vet.)

She asks if I think it's funny to call a gun a toy, why did I think it was necessary to have one, and do I know that no one wants to come over to my house anymore if they know I have a gun.

Does everyone else have to deal with family like this? :dunno:

Do you warn everyone that comes over to your house? Should you tell the parents of kids coming over for a playdate, even if everything is ALWAYS locked up in a big safe?
    Most everyone that knows me well enough to come over to be invited to my home has pretty solid idea of where I stand as far as Firearms Ownership, and the Constitution and its Amendments.

You did nothing wrong in my opinion, people refer to Cars, Boats, Motorhomes, Motorcycles, and all kinds of other inanimate objects as toys, so why not refer to a firearm in the same fashion...

Sounds to me your Mother is a bit childish, and immature...

That being said, I would have probably mouthed off that does it really matter that I have a Firearm(s) in my Home, you never bothered to come by prior to my acquisition(s). So STFU...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd offer to take her shooting and would show her how a safely handled gun is not a dangerous thing to have. Be the perfect example of safety if she goes with you and explain to her what firearm safety means. Right now, she probably has an image of you waving the thing around to show it off with your finger on the trigger. Replace that image with one of responsible gun handling.

If she refuses, you've at least tried. Maybe start working through other members of the family until gun owners have become the family norm instead of being the oddity. But, whatever you do, don't do something stupid and outside of the rules of safe gun handling. Do that and you will confirm every one of their fears.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    most everyone knows that i refer to new weapons as toys. As someone else stated, everyone says that when they get a new motorcycle, dirt bike, car, etc, so its a ok for this too. As for the mom, well, as you said, you hardly ever talk to her, guess you can deal with the shunning, or ask if she would like to learn more about it and see what she thinks when she is knowledgeable about one

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow...go to my facebook page and you will see my sister, niece, son and son in law sending rounds downrange and loving it.
    Sister in law did not care much for my hobby but they never come over anyway.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    I have antigun family and friends as long as they keep Thier opinions to themselves ,I don't bring guns up. But it shouldn't matter what they think.its your choice that's all that matters.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Tell dear old mom to google up "Luby's cafeteria" and let her brain go into denial mode that something like that could ever happen to her or a loved one. I love to see antis do brain gymnastics to avoid facing reality. If she says it can't happen tell her to check out "San Ysidro McDonalds massacre."

Top Bottom