• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Let me start by saying, I am not looking for anything illegal or unsafe even in a WROL situation, so let's get that out of the way.

In a major collapse TEOTWAWKI situation, what is the best/cheapest painkiller? There is Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and Alieve. I understand all that for more minor pain.

Is alcohol the best short term pain killer? I am thinking of if someone has a broken leg that needs to be set or something major that needs to be done.

I am alcohol ignorant. What would you recommend on the cheap to get a supply of?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    I would not recommend alcohol for any medical uses except for sterilizing something and or some one has attempted suicide by drinking radiator coolant for the average vehicle. Alcohol thins the blood to much to use for any type of trauma it will only help them bleed that much faster with a chance of never clotting. As a SHTF pain killer depending on the situation if the local pharmacy is closed and you bought a medical pill book/pill identifier go have fun take what you can. if that's not a choice stock up on anything over the counter that could be used.

Source: EMT

GrumpyUnk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Jackson County
    Yes, Tramadol is prescription only. If you have a Doc who trusts you, he may write you an Rx for some pain meds or antibiotics if you explain your reasoning to him. Never hurts to ask.
    My Doc has written some Rx for ABX and I avoided the insurance hassle & just paid the $4 charge at WallyWorld. We know each other well though. YMMV.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    dilaudid? that's powerful stuff. don't you need a script for that?

Yeah. It is pretty powerful and very regulated. I'm plenty jealous of those of you that can remedy pain with OTC stuff or even Tramadol. I've had a script for Ultram and it did absolutely nothing for me. I've got chronic back pain and nerve pain from a surgery. IF I get anything from my doctor, it is 5/500mg Vicodin and taking them as prescribed barely dulls the pain. For the back pain (chronic spasms), I've had much better luck with Soma.

But in a SHTF situation, if you've got to set a broken bone or something of similar pain...Valium and a pain killer probably wouldn't hurt.

Alieve (naproxen sodium) is another nasty thing in high doses or even continued use. Hard on the kidneys, stomach, cardio vascular system, and can cause internal bleeding.

Top Bottom