• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was wondering about a casting net or seine net (or a dual purpose net of some type). I was thinking it might be more productive than using line and hook if you were to be creative on its' use.....thoughts?

My thought is that the BOB is to get the F out of dodge NOW, and should sustain you for 3-5 days. Instead of planning on fishing, throw in a couple cans of sardines to cut down on weight and space;).

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Instead of planning on fishing, throw in a couple cans of sardines to cut down on weight and space
    But a casting net takes up the same space, weighs about the same, and can provide more than a few ozs of food? I like the idea and will be adding one.
    My thought is that the BOB is to get the F out of dodge NOW, and should sustain you for 3-5 days
    Correct, but shouldn't the contents also have the ability to keep you alive much longer if need be?

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    BOB should be set up for 3-5 days to get you somewhere . Living out of a pack makes you a refugee . I prefer to have a location to bug out to and plan to get there . I dont plan on hunting trapping or fishing from a bob. Wet and cold weather gear spare socks a knife some para cord . tarp or poncho to construct hasty shelter and 3-5 days subsistince rations and water . Some of the lists here have everything but the kitchen sink in them . I challenge you to put all of that on and walk 5 miles . I bet in a real situation you would meet chuck and berry real fast (chuck some of it and bury the rest )

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I agree that a BOB is supposed to be used to get you to a location. This would be your designated fall-back location if you can not stay inside your home. How long will it take you to get to this location? Is it just down the road? Is it on the other side of town? Is it the next town over?

My fall-back location is 40 miles north. If I had to walk that, it would take a while. I'm not in the best of shape, and neither is my wife. Let's say that, at this point, we could walk 15 miles in a day. At that rate, it would take roughly 2.7 days to get to our location. Now, let's say that we have to do that in the middle of winter, going through two feet of snow. Or what if it was in the middle of summer, and it's 95 degrees outside with 90% humidity. What if we have to avoid other people and hide out for a day or two along the way. What if one of us falls into a ditch and gets a bad sprain or a broken ankle.

The point is that things come up. The 3-5 days that you think it will take you to get to the location can easily turn into 5-7 days, or 7-10 days, or even more. The weather, your health, other people; all of these things can affect your travel and throw your plans out the window.

Because of this, you need to design your BOB not based on what you plan on happening, but what could happen.

1) Your first priority is protection from the elements. In extreme heat or extreme cold, it won't take long for your health to be in danger. If it's -20 degrees outside, those cans of sardines won't do you any good if you didn't bring enough warm clothes and something that can be used as a shelter, like a tarp. Pack multiple methods of starting a fire; matches, lighter, flint bar. Have them and know how to use them.

2) After protection from the elements, focus on water. You can go weeks without food, but only days without water. Make sure that you have a way to purify the water quickly, preferably without needing to start a fire. Droplets, tablets, and filters are the way to go. Have the ability to carry enough water to get you to the next source. Do you know where the sources of water are between your current location and your fall-back location? Find out, and plan accordingly.

3) Now you can focus on food. Pack food for the season. Remember, in the winter you'll need more calories than in the summer. Pack some food that you don't need a fire to eat. MREs are calorie dense, have a very long shelf life, and don't require anything else to prepare. If you want convenience, they are hard to beat. If you pack a stainless steel cup, fire starting material, and a rice-a-roni style food pouch, you have a hot meal. It's cheap, relatively easy if you are already planning on a fire, and filling. A warm meal can make a real difference, especially to your mental state.

Since this is a gun board this should be obvious, but don't forget your firearms. At minimum you should have your daily carry gun. For me, since I would be leaving my home to get to this location, my wife and I will be taking everything from the safe that we can reasonably and semi-comfortable carry. Until I get my AR, my shotgun will be in my hands, pistol on my hip, and a couple of rifles bundled together and lashed to my pack. If someone sees me, will this make me a target? I don't know. But I do know that I would be a well armed target.

Finally, practice. Load up your BOB and go for a hike. What did you find out? After a couple of miles, do you have blisters? Maybe you need to get a different pair of shoes. Maybe you also need to bring a first aid kit to treat those blisters. How hungry were you after a morning of walking? Maybe you need to pack more food than you originally thought. Did it start raining or snowing while you were walking? If so, how quickly could you set up your tarp? Was it buried on the bottom of the pack? Thinking of how you pack your BOB is almost as important as what you bring.

Plan. Practice. Execute. A well thought out plan has all of these elements.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    No contingency for your BOL already being occupied by others better-armed than yourself?

Probably not i have multiple cache points setup but thats a whole different discussion . If someone wants what is mine and trys to take it by force they will pay for it . I am merely saying that most people pack entirely too much that they think they need because they read about it on the internet .

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    My BOB:

(I know, I need a med kit, but this is a work in progress)

DSC_0695.jpg

inside the outer pockets:
    DSC_0696.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

on top inside the bag:

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

under this stuff is clothes. Couple pairs of wool socks, boxers, parachute pants, under armor long sleeve shirt and long under wear, od green long sleeve outer shirt, long sleeve inner shirt, and a small blanket.

inner/inner pocket:
    DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Wow Teddy do you run a Cat 330 excavator for a living or just to dig up old threads

This is sarcasm FYI my iPhone won't let me put it in purple :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    lol, no I came across this thread through another thread and thought I'd try jumpstarting it. I like the idea of the thread, but out of 8 pages, not so many pictures.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i am not about to read through all 8 pages but i don't remember if i posted or not lol. i will put in some pics of my get home bag. a maxpedition jumbo weights about 8 pounds fully loaded and is no problem to hump though i wish it had an extra strap to turn it into a back pack if needed. either way here they are

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

DSCN0833.jpg

no list you can see most the stuff but there is some stuff left out due to my little ones sticky fingers lol like my light weight tarp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Grunt Soldier, let me ask you a question referring to your last picture you posted.

Which do you pack in your bug out bag, I notice you have the empty hydration carrier but you leave us students with two choices on the table...

Bottles or cans?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Grunt Soldier, let me ask you a question referring to your last picture you posted.

Which do you pack in your bug out bag, I notice you have the empty hydration carrier but you leave us students with two choices on the table...

Bottles or cans?

liberty's teeth thats a question of the ages. but i am going to go with the can simply because its got 4 more ounce which could be vital in a survival situation :)

Top Bottom