• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Good heavens! You have all forgotten the most important article of gear: the trusty katana!

How ever will you survive the coming apocalypse without it?:dunno:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I like the Katana but for for dispatching the undead I prefer the hawk since I can have it in one hand and a pistol in the other. If I can knock them down with a handgun round then I can decapitate them, that is really the only way to stop them. Circulatory and Central Nervous System disruption has little effect, so you need to rely on structural disruption of the low extremities to present them for beheading.- George

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I keep this bag in my car mostly:

Record keeping:
    Pen
    Pencil
    Marker
    Notebook
    5 assorted glow sticks

Tools:
    Brunton 4x monocular
    Brunton compass
    Pocket chainsaw
    Victorinox OHT
    20 feet Paracord

Food:
    3 instant rice meals
    assorted tea and hot chocolate pouches
    2 clean canteens
    3 Bic lighters
    Tin of strike anywhere matches
    USGI 2QT canteen

First Aid:
    Assorted bandaids
    Gauze rolls
    antacids
    Pain killers
    bandanna

Clothing:
    Winter hat
    Gloves
    under armor
    3 pair socks
    3 pair underwear
    Heavy latex poncho

Armament:
    Walther P22 w/ Veridian lazer
    100 rounds CCI Mini Mags

My bag is an OD green CamelBak Motherload

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh man. I knew there was a reason I was staying out of here! Ignorance! LOL Great packs guys. Few things I didn't think about and a few I think some of you forgot.

I have bottle rockets and knock-off M80's in my BoB. They have MANY uses either in their present form or "parted out". :) I also have a can of tobacco in mine to help keep me calm. :): I'll go take an inventory later. :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    This bag is in my backseat all the time, it's a Blackhawk Battle Bag. I like it's small size and how inconspicuous it is. I can throw it over my shoulder and lug it around town or campus without any odd looks. The back has a waist strap for cases where fast movement is necessary. I stop a lot to help folks broken down on the high way and i usually throw this over my shoulder or set it on my hood when I get out of my car. It has come in handy more than once! Here's a run down of what's in it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

First Aid Pouch
    - assorted gauze
    - tweezers
    - tape
    - band-aids
    - sm bottle alcohol
    - latex gloves
    - butterfly bandages
    - self adhearing tape
    - shears
    - zip ties
    - razor blade
    - smelling salts
    - assorted pain pills, antacids (ib profin etc)
    picture.php

EDC Pouch (one with flag)
    - This pouch has some basic edc gear. I carry a similar pouch on me all the time, this one has a few more things in it, but can easily be grabbed from the top of the bag if I forgot my other one, or to equip a buddy in a SHTF scenario.
    picture.php

Survival Tin
    - pencil
    - signal mirror
    - whistle
    - magnesium / flint
    - "survival instructions"
    - water purification tablets
    - sog twitch
    picture.php

Tools
    - Eod Breacher Bar
    - Ontario rat-3
    - Gerber guardian (tucked in where waist strap is housed, can be drawn fast for sd)
    - benchmade seat belt cutter (strapped to outside for easy access)
    - pocket chainsaw
    - fishing kit (hooks bobbers and line)
    - mini-mag lite (extra bulbs and batteries)
    - Headlamp (led)
    - Climbing carabiner and gear loop
    - compass

Other Items
    - Mutiple chem lights
    - marmont bright yellow rain jacket
    - poncho
    - space blanket
    - hand warmers
    - CPR breathing mask (outside pocket)
    - various sizes of zip ties
    - work gloves
    - purified drinking water
    - instant Ice Pack
    - all weather notebook and pen
    - "Rat F@&ed" MRE
    - lighter and matches

I think that covers it, in general at least, there are obviously some odds and ends that I didn't remember or elaborate on.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Here is my apparently novice take on a basic car survival kit. My father always told me to keep "stuff" in my car, just in case something happened. He never told me what my happen, only that I should have "stuff" in case it did. I have found this thread immensely entertaining and informative. When at the gun range I always want to improve my skills and aim. Same goes for this. Here is the breakdown of what I have, and do not have:

Cheap bag that I bought at Bass Pro a couple years ago. The bag hasn't seen much use other than the inside of my trunk. No backpacking, just storage. Also, a sleeping bag, that I have used a few times camping. Once, in Mexico for two days in the central mountains. (That was fun!)

picture.php

picture.php

1. Genuine wool military blanket
    2. Better than basic FAK.
    3. Cheap binoculars.
    4. Duct Tape.
    5. KABAR
    6. Water bottle

picture.php

7. Gerber Multi-Tool
    8. Cheap Coleman Poncho
    9. 2 Coleman Emergency Blankets
    10. Whistle
    11. Water Purification Kit (Used in Mexico, works very well and at La Salle Fish & Wildlife)
    12. Scissors
    13. Magnesium firestarter
    14. Coleman Waterproof matches
    15. Cheap Compass
    16. Leather work gloves
    17. Fenix LD20 LED Flashlight (newest addition) (awesome!)
    18. AA Batteries

picture.php

19. 550 Paracord (100 feet)
    20. Cheap Nylon rope (30 feet)
    21. Red Bandana
    22. Shemagh
    23. Under Armor Cold Gear Balaclava

picture.php

As I said, some of this stuff I have used. Some not. Some works well. Some not. Some I just purchased for the hell of it.

Particularly, I am going to get a new gear bag. I plan on getting something using MOLLE. Also, I really need some food items. MREs, something. I plan on keeping this in my car most of the time. Anyways, lots of stuff I want to get and I am going to upgrade to.

Hey look. You can see part of my foot!

Feel free to make suggetions. Thanks. And, keep the pics coming. I love getting new ideas.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Plastic sheeting/tarps
    First aid
    Rations
    Tents
    Blankets(wool)
    Duct tape
    Water tablets
    Rope
    Paracord
    Mess kit
    Towels
    Vitamins
    Fishing kit
    Saw
    Bleach
    Emergency blanket
    1 Pair jeans
    1 Pair shorts
    1 Hoodie
    2 Short sleeve shirts
    1 Long sleeve shirt
    4 Pair socks
    1 Hat
    1 Pair gloves
    1 Pair sweats
    1 Medium weight coat
    Personal hygene
    Canteen/duty belt
    Knife
    Pocket knife/stone
    Fire kit
    Treats(for the kids)
    Spare handgun
    Rifle
    Ammo/magazines
    First aid
    Hatchet
    Shovel
    Sewing kit
    Binoculars
    Compass/Thermometer
    Paper/Pencil
    Good quality rain gear

I have two bags identical for the wife and myself, plus a third with clothes hygiene and bedding for the kids plus an army duffle bag with cast iron skillet and cooking pot as well as dried goods. I'm sure I left a few things out, but off the top of my head this is what is in my bag. Oh, various caribiners too.......Also, don't forget to put immodium in your first aid kit, diarrhea will dehydrate you fast and dehydration kills, and forget about peroxide or alcohol, use a bottle of everclear(it accomplishes the same things plus a few others) ;)

Last edited:

tuocs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    Greetings!

This is one excellent Thread you posted sir!

As for me, I use two back packs: a 3-5day Recon Pack and a 1-2day Deuter Pack.

The standard contents are:
    500ml water
    2 pieces energy food pack
    1 piece chocolate bar
    flashlight
    one tshirt, pair of sock, underwear, a shawl, a small towel, a jacket or sweater (depending on the present season)
    A medicine pack (with 1 pair of surgical gloves & 2 pieces surgical mask)
    A pack with small plastic bottles of alcohol, hand sanitizer, small soap, & a hand towel)
    A 1911 pistol with two 8 round extra magazine.

Other things i add into the bag depends on the purpose of my fieldwork or travel.

I hope i can learn how to post pictures in here though:D

On the first week of October, we were hit here in my country with the Tropical Depression Parma and Tropical Storm Melor. The province where i'm assigned now is one of the badly hit area. Luckily we had no human casualties in my area. But the other two municipalities were so unfortunate.

My very own area was closed for 5 days from road access. We were only able to partially open one road towards the City on the west on the 12th of October, just for passage for light vehicles to bring in relief goods and for gardeners to bring out their product. We were able to open the eastern road on the 14th.

I SAY MY BACK PACKS HAD BEEN OF REAL IMPORTANCE DURING THOSE TIMES!:yesway:

tuocs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    A simple sharing

May i be allowed to share a piece of sharing to you gentlemen and ladies just in case you will come to tour in a third world country like mine.

In case you decide to bring along a survival bag (for preparedness just in case you are caught in a disaster in my country like mine):

Sharing #1: Don't bring a bag with military colors. The reason is because you will get much attention. (Attention from other marooned people, evacuees, or refugees. If ever you get marooned, evacuated, or end in a refugee area of course:D)

pictures294Small.jpg

Sharing #2: Don't use external bag pockets that shows the content of that pocket. Of course we all know the reason. In a calamity area, people can take advantage of others just to survive. Things/materials in plain view can be subject of theft, or even worse to the owners.
    pictures296Small.jpg

In the few number of calamities i assisted to coordinate in its operation & management, most of the problems we encountered amongst them marooned people and them evacuees is theft on properties, and quarrels on belongings.

And our purpose during times of disaster is TO SURVIVE. and by simply not getting much attention because of the color of our bag, and the contents of our bag can help for us to survive.:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Long, rambled, largely-unasked-for post re: Medical Supplies.

more medical

Well there you go, let me know what you guys think, I would really like some feedback so I can make this thing as good as I can.

Just a few tips.

You've already got me beat in pretty much every other area and have given me some tips on how to improve tactical/food supply storage.
    Thanks.

Hopefully nothing in this list is too obvious; just making a list of things which pop out at me.

Med-Kit should be its own big bag, IMHO.

Alcohol, ethyl - many gallons of.
    Disinfectant, kills virtually all bacteria by destroying their cell structures.
    Having a fair amount of this could well make having a few other items on this list superfluous.

Alcohol, isopropyl - many gallons of.
    Same as ethanol above, but has a few more superfluous uses. Worth keeping around. Can be used as a rough fuel for kerosene lamps, and is less valuable than burning precious ethanol.

The necessity of this next item is debatable, but I still suggest it, if you are capable of storing it safely...

Chloroform. I will NOT detail how to produce it, nor will I instruct anyone via email/PM just as a C-Y/M-A measure for this forum and myself (despite its legality) .... but if you need to perform minor surgeries in the field, your patient might appreciate a little of this anasthetic - little being the operative word in that sentence, as it is a central nervous system depressant and can cause SERIOUS ******** problems, and can be fatal even in low concentrations. However, if you're the tough-as-nails type or can afford the much more expensive nitrous oxide, or the thought of dealing with potentially toxic CNS-paralyzing agent bothers you (it only bothers me a bit, personally), or you're just not too concerned about pain, feel free to leave this out of the Med-Kit. If you DO decide to keep this anaesthetic in-kit, be SURE to store it SEALED TIGHTLY in light-resistant AMBER GLASS bottles, as on exposure to UV light, it will degrade into Phosgene, the toxic nerve gas used in WWII and by all-around bad guys such as Saddam, Hitler, and other baddies, and instead of performing field surgery with the luxury of keeping your patient anesthetized, you've then instead killed them, and probably yourself... and your comrades... and loved ones... and neighbors.... and maybe even local passersby... which is, on a scale of 1 to 10, a terrible outcome.

Gauze - bandages and tape: cloth tape, paper tape, scotch tape, duct tape, all of them. Depending on the wound, you'll wind up needing them all at some point. Thick ones are good, thin ones are worthless. The best stuff I've come across is Tegaderm, a wound dressing which is clear and mimics skin - it is about $1.50-3.50 PER PIECE depending on the size, but there's not much better.

Hydrogen peroxide - many gallons of, get it and get it now. Aside from having about a thousand and one uses, it too is a mild disinfectant. It is also a POWERFUL oxidizer. Unfortunately, unless it is stabilized, this does lose potency over time, as it gives off Oxygen and eventually seeps out of the container it's in, and evolves into water.

[2]H2O2 => [2]H20 + O2

(Not trying to be redundant here, just trying to inform - I'm not sure how many among us still remember our chemistry stoichiometry. ;))

Iodine, Tincture of - useful for cleaning out fresh wounds.

Needles - stitching needles with suture for making stitches.

Scalpel - for when you just HAVE to extract that round from your cousin's femur (god forbid).

Tweezers - removing splinters or shrapnel.

As to medicines, might I suggest keeping few spare pills/bottles of:

Wide-range antibiotics - for mild/generalized/unknown infections: (generic Keflex -tissue infections, great for open wounds; generic Zithromycin; generic Amoxicillin WITH clavulanic acid as an improvement upon Amoxicillin-resistant staph. and strep. infections; generic Ciprofloxacin for use in a wide variety of infection; and maybe, if you can afford some, a few pills of Vancomycin as the ultimate last resort...would NOT recommend this for any use but deathly situations, else resistance could build, and it's one of the few antibiotics in the world which has almost no resistance built to it yet, save some strains of MRSA, and the more widely-used it becomes, the less effective it is...)

Narrow-range antibiotics - in case of serious, specific infections: (generic Macrobid - kidney/bladder infections; tetracycline/doxycycline to protect against tick-borne disease; sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim for urinary tract infection/respiratory infection)....

Coagulants - Vitamin K will help improve platelets to bind better. QuikClot is a patch which will help stop severe bleeding. Very useful.

And, in lesser need, is:

CAFFEINE - While moderately toxic, most people ingest small amounts of it daily. If on watch/guard/requiring alertness, weigh out no more than half a gram, stir into water. Tastes VERY bitter (never once in my life tasted anything so bitter), and is very cheap. Approx. 10-20 grams can be FATAL depending on tolerance. Works by doing inhibiting production of adenosine in the brain (which makes the hypothalamus think it's sleeptime) - ergo, the hypothalamus doesn't get the message that 'hey, it's sleeptime,' so the brain remains alert. While this is useful in a pinch, I know from personal experience that overdose (anything more than maybe 350, 400mg) definitely can cause irritability/hostility and/or paranoia. Still, definitely an invaluable part of survival when you're trying/needing to outlast the enemy. Also, it won't last indefinitely... but I managed to stay awake for almost 52 hours once doing this (which I do NOT recommend to ANYONE). Caffeine is legal to purchase, consume, and - requires no prescription, unlike all antibiotics/some other useful medical equipment.

I work in a pharmacy, and while I do NOT condone theft or fraud to obtain these items, if you do legitimately get an antibiotic filled, of which you feel you can safely squirrel away a couple to a few pills, do so. I of course hold myself indemnified in the event that you ingest something to which you're allergic... or, in fact, anything which might happen that might be undesirable, but in a true STHF situation, medicine - antibiotics especially - could mean the difference between life and death: without them, we are effectively tossed back to pre-Civil-War-era medical hygiene. True POTENCY expiration dates on drugs are often well past the one-year period for non-controlled substances and six-months for controlled substances that State law requires... efficacy of pills is often many years if stored properly.

If one is diabetic, for instance, one ought to stock up on insulin now - this one should be obvious, and in a truly SHTF situation,one is probably up a creek, but with a generator or low temperatures outside, there's no reason one can't at least try to maintain it at decent temperatures. However, I CANNOT vouch as to the efficacy of most insulins at temperatures which they are NOT to be stored at, save Lantus, which is long-acting. Lantus is good for up to 28 days out-of-refrigeration....what happens beyond that I don't know, whether the manufacturer just doesn't want it to be used beyond that so people will have to buy more or whether it actually does somehow magically turn into poison, but once yet again, I disclaim all liability, just tossing out some ideas here.

Anti-anxiety medicines might be a consideration as well, depending on how well you/loved ones handle stress. Survival will be a lot more enjoyable if you're a little tiny bit more relaxed.

Also, any maintenance medications which you NEED to survive (Nitroglycerin, Tikosyn, Warfarin, Potassium, blood pressure medicines, diuretics, inhalers, etc.) you should already be stockpiling one pill/dose at a time, if you can.

Lastly, think about what you could do without if you HAD to, but do NOT attempt it. Not unless AND until you have (read: are forced by circumstance) to, and have really had an in-depth discussion with your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare professional. You probably need your Digoxin; do you really need your Ambien?

Anyhow, just a few tips.

Most important is brushing up on some medical knowledge so that if you do have to, say, cauterize a wound or pull a round from someone's leg, you make things better and not worse.

Also, I've found that having a realistic ability to self-determine strengths and weaknesses in this area is perhaps the most helpful item to possess out of all of these... I have some limited confidence in my ability to diagnose infection as an almost-layman (as a pharm. tech., I've seen a few different types of illness in the past four-and-a-half years), but I also know I don't have the steady hand of, say, a surgeon.

Three cheers, though.
    You've got a darned great setup on the rest.

Regards.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    many gallons of.
    I see this in several places in your post. This is not going to work in a BOB for too many reasons to even mention. While this is good advice and all of it is good stuff to keep on hand at home, it isn't feasible or likely that any one, even you are going to concern yourself with carrying around "many gallons" of anything when you bug out. For this reason, I opt for a half gallon of everclear. It will serve a multitude of the purposes you outlined for both forms of alcohol as well as the peroxide and even serve as a pretty effective sedative if needed. I also agree with the scalpel and suture kit, and have them in my bag. Do not forget to pack little things like antihistamine and immodium as well as NSAIDs like ibuprofen. Also, let's try not to forget about some of the naturally occurring things we can find in the woods, for example this wonderful little fungi that has antibiotic propertiesPiptoporus betulinus. Not trying to say you're wrong, just that you may have forgotten this is a Bug Out Bag thread.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I see this in several places in your post. This is not going to work in a BOB for too many reasons to even mention. While this is good advice and all of it is good stuff to keep on hand at home, it isn't feasible or likely that any one, even you are going to concern yourself with carrying around "many gallons" of anything when you bug out. For this reason, I opt for a half gallon of everclear. It will serve a multitude of the purposes you outlined for both forms of alcohol as well as the peroxide and even serve as a pretty effective sedative if needed. I also agree with the scalpel and suture kit, and have them in my bag. Do not forget to pack little things like antihistamine and immodium as well as NSAIDs like ibuprofen. Not trying to say you're wrong, just that you may have forgotten this is a Bug Out Bag thread.

I was just speaking in general terms....but quantities can of course be scaled down. Trust me, you're going to want both hydrogen peroxide and ethanol. Maybe even just a pint of Hydrogen Peroxide if space is limited, but like I said, it is very useful, and its applications are not just limited to the realm of antiseptic. Good reminder on the NSAIDs... I was just trying to list what most people might forget. I'm not about to forget the naproxen/tylenol/ibuprofen/aspirin. Antihistamines are always good. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is good in case of allergies and as a mild somnatic. Imodium is good, but if water purification is kept up as necessary, it's a luxury, unless you're prone to the symptoms for which it's used. Dramamine is also good, and very effective at preventing/correcting nauseousness.

:patriot:

Glad you mostly agree with the usefulness of the items listed, though.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have no pics, but I'm with tuocs on trying to be less than overt with pack choices.

I picked up my "get home bag" (a nice North Face backpack, similar to what mercop has (though no molle-style webbing) for $1.59 a pound at the goodwill outlet, and my "BOB" is a big internal-frame pack I picked up for $10 at a garage sale a few years ago.

In looking through this thread, I have noticed that there really isn't any mention of clothing being in packs. Is this because you are planning to be wearing what you'll need, or do you segregate clothing from survival gear?

I tend to think of proper clothing as essential to survival, especially in winter, because you can starve in a week, die of thirst in a day or two, but it can take only a couple of hours to freeze to death, especially if you find yourself in a situation where you are without shelter and have to sit tight due to whatever risk.

I keep ski bibs, an extra coat, and other layers in a tub in the truck, but I also pack some layers in the get home bag, just in case I have to abandon the truck and don't have the luxury of time to don or the ability to grab the really warm stuff.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I think one of the things that is important is to seasonally adjust your BOB contents. Winter requirements are much different than summer. While hydration is still just as important you will need higher calorie intake to feed the furnace so to speak. Secondly, it's important to keep that heat contained.

Having the kit adjusted to these various demands is also one part of surviving.

A final comment would be on duration. The government and a lot of people routinely use 72 hours. My question is: Is this enough time for you to get to where you are going or having high hopes of being rescued within that time frame?

Top Bottom