• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you look back through and see my list, you'll see clothing there.
    here's the list again, keep in mind the best winter clothing is going to be the layered approach, just like when you're hunting. If you wear all the clothes on my list, you'll be plenty warm just about anywhere in the lower 48.

One thing I would take issue with, for a "survival" situation, denim jeans are really popular and folks wear them all the time, but when they get wet, they take a relatively tremendous amount of heat to dry and in the meantime they suck out your body heat. Jeans were a popular hunting attire in the 70s when I was stationed in Washington State, and one hunting season I participated in 13 Search and Rescue operations looking for hunters. We found 11 of them, and all of them, without exception, were suffering from hypothermia to one extent or another. One guy we found was unconscious and had obviously just finished taking off his clothing before losing consciousness. Had the search team NOT found him when they did, they would have recovered a corpse.

My recommendation for emergency clothing in a SHTF situation would be some sort of synthetic or cotton/poly blend, or even wool pants. Military BDUs can be had in many colors, hold up fairly well to rugged use, and dry much more quickly than denim jeans.

I have GOT to start reading the dates on these posts...

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Good Lord, after reading through this my credit card company is going to love me and my wife is going to be mad at me. I've got some shopping to do...
    Yeah, a good set-up can cost into the thousands......don't ask me how I know......I had to buy three complete sets of everything(self, son, wife).....then there's the two girls.......the first-aid is an easy area to spend a lot of money, and the pack itself can be pretty expensive if you don't shop around and check places you normally wouldn't.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Yeah, a good set-up can cost into the thousands......don't ask me how I know......I had to buy three complete sets of everything(self, son, wife).....then there's the two girls.......the first-aid is an easy area to spend a lot of money, and the pack itself can be pretty expensive if you don't shop around and check places you normally wouldn't.

On this note, I thought I'd mention my experience and something that we had discussed at MSG-2 meetings before: don't forget to look into the bargain stores like Harbor Freight, Aldi's, Big Lots, Dollar General, $1 shops, etc. If you are just starting out or looking to buy some decent supplies in bulk, or cheaper supplies to be left in a car/truck/office/cache, you can do it from these stores without breaking the bank.

When it comes to gear, I've found the best place is right here on INGO, trading or buying from guys who have changed their preps.

Devin22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have been backpacking as a kid/teen but havent thought about it since then, I started digging everything out as soon as a stumbled upon this! anyone can gather these goods but you can't grab a bag of health out the door! i think fitness is going to be the greatest asset in any bug out situation!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Yesterday a coworker asked me to help bring some stuff to his car.

He opens his trunk and there is nothing in it, clean and pristine ( his car is two years old)

I asked him what he'd do if he got in a accident or stranded in a snow storm. He said, call for help......

I told him some of the stuff I keep in the trunk and then showed him. I've been stuck in the snow, stranded in a back up on a winter highway, 5 flats..... drove up to too many serious accidents and I still don't think I have all I need.

Thankfully he said he would fix that problem because to date he is lucky and realized it ....

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

He opens his trunk and there is nothing in it, clean and pristine ( his car is two years old)

I asked him what he'd do if he got in a accident or stranded in a snow storm. He said, call for help......

I told him some of the stuff I keep in the trunk and then showed him. I've been stuck in the snow, stranded in a back up on a winter highway, 5 flats..... drove up to too many serious accidents and I still don't think I have all I need.

Thankfully he said he would fix that problem because to date he is lucky and realized it ....

so now he will just go steal yours out of your trunk :):

i keed, i keed

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

It's good you mentioned that to him and brought it to his attention. It's even better that he recognized it and intends to do something about it. Nothing worse than pointing out a critical flaw to someone who refuses to correct it.

Top Bottom