Should racism, bigotry, etc. be against the law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I agree that INGO should not be an echo chamber, but this race baiting is beyond the pale.

I saw a black car.

That's RACIST! what was the point of adding that it was black?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Everything.

Look who is talking quotas. It is always the liberal.

Suddenly folks have no empathy for other folks feelings.

I for one am sick of all this BS about race. Get over it. I never owned a slave. My father never owned a slave. My grand father never owned a slave. My paternal great grandfather lived in Scotland and my maternal great grandfather lived in Germany, so they werent even a part of the problem.

I am registered as a Republican, the party of emancipation and civil rights.

It's not really about feelings, it's more about perspective. If I was one to have my feelings hurt, I would have left INGO long ago. I offer my perspective. I'm not sure what slavery has to do with it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your perspective always seems see any mention of race as RACISM.

That's your (incorrect) opinion. Im clear on what racism is, and don't throw the word around lightly, unlike many rank and file INGO members that regularly use the word. Don't be so sensitive.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Christ had followers who wanted a violent overthrow of Rome and only followed him because they thought He would lead it. That was not Christs plan at all. In YOUR analogy, Christ is guilty of promoting violent zealots because violent zealots misunderstood His message.

I know they are hippies but I always liked this part of Jesus Christ Superstar...

[video=youtube;WVz11jmG3ac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVz11jmG3ac[/video]

"When do we ride to Jerusalem?"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's not really about feelings, it's more about perspective. If I was one to have my feelings hurt, I would have left INGO long ago. I offer my perspective. I'm not sure what slavery has to do with it.

It is at least as much about feelings as it is about perspective. Feelings are driven by perspective. Feelings often drive actions more than rational belief does. One can have the perspective that the police are against them. But is not just perspective that drives them to riot. Feelings do that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It is at least as much about feelings as it is about perspective. Feelings are driven by perspective. Feelings often drive actions more than rational belief does. One can have the perspective that the police are against them. But is not just perspective that drives them to riot. Feelings do that.

I completely agree. But I took Blue Falcon to be speaking specifically to my method, not generally. Oh, I guess I need to point out that I have never participated in a riot.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I completely agree. But I took Blue Falcon to be speaking specifically to my method, not generally. Oh, I guess I need to point out that I have never participated in a riot.

Why make it about personalities? I'll just say this on the topic.

I think you can have the perspective that the police target Blacks. That can be a rational belief if that is your only experience. So what do people do with that? What happens when that's not the primary experience of most other people? Maybe there's a problem, but its scope isn't truly as extreme as your only experiences lead you to believe? What if there are other influences that have other motives for you maintaining that perspective? What if to maintain your membership status they require you to feel worse about it than reality requires? What if a sense of being seen as the moral person is more important than the truth of acting morally? What if that drives your perception of truth? What if all that together creates an emotional response that is not proportional to the actual problem?

THAT's kind of where my opinion of Kaepernick and some of these other players has evolved.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why make it about personalities? I'll just say this on the topic.

I think you can have the perspective that the police target Blacks. That can be a rational belief if that is your only experience. So what do people do with that? What happens when that's not the primary experience of most other people? Maybe there's a problem, but its scope isn't truly as extreme as your only experiences lead you to believe? What if there are other influences that have other motives for you maintaining that perspective? What if to maintain your membership status they require you to feel worse about it than reality requires? What if a sense of being seen as the moral person is more important than the truth of acting morally? What if that drives your perception of truth? What if all that together creates an emotional response that is not proportional to the actual problem?

THAT's kind of where my opinion of Kaepernick and some of these other players has evolved.

Target? Nah, I wouldn't say that, per se. I think it's more of many of them simply being afraid of black people. Though with things like "stop and frisk," there's certainly merit to the targeting pov. I think generally, if speaking of black people as a single monolith, most white people are afraid of them/us.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Target? Nah, I wouldn't say that, per se. I think it's more of many of them simply being afraid of black people. Though with things like "stop and frisk," there's certainly merit to the targeting pov. I think generally, if speaking of black people as a single monolith, most white people are afraid of them/us.

So why do you think whites as a monolith are scared of Blacks as a monolith? What perceptions created that fear? I'll say this, my Dad was a bigot. Mom, not so much. Neither ever taught me that black people are to be feared. I'm going to say it seems reasonable to me to believe that most white people have that same experience.

I did have some negative experiences with Blacks when I was a kid. This was back in the early 70s when race riots were more common place than they are now. I remember when I was in elementary school, watching through the fence at the JR high school when they were having a race riot. I remember a Black friend from the church school invited me to his house. On the bus there he told me to get off at a different stop. I asked why. He said I'd get beat up by older kids if I got off there. I asked why. He said because I'm white. Those experiences gave me some basic perspectives.

A couple of years later my mom took in a Black family that was homeless. They stayed with us for several weeks. 7 kids of varying ages and a single mom. We got to know each other pretty well. Other than skin and a few cultural differences, they weren't all that different. So that experience informed my perspective.

When I was in Jr High, because of the race riots they installed a program that paired blacks and whites for something like a survival weekend where we had to depend on a partner of the opposite race. So that experience gave me more perspective. I think without the latter experiences, the former experience would have been most of my perspective.

Whether or not I'm afraid of Blacks depends on the circumstances, which I suppose may include race, but not mostly. And for Cops, I imagine for those who work the worst neighbors and constantly deal with the worst offenders, I can't help but suspect that those experiences would inform their perspective too, and keeping the perspective proportional to reality might be difficult.

Top Bottom