• Should Marijuana be Legalized?

• Total voters

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    everyone just needs to start growing it and smoking it and bog down the system. yeah some people will end up paying but maybe thats the movement we will need to have to get AT LEAST marijuana decriminalized.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I look at it this way, if it is legalized cost would drop, it would be made safer because it would be regulated the same ways that food, alcohol and tobacco would be subject to.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I spent my life in law enforcement and I can attest that the drug war is one of the stupidest mistakes that this country has ever made.

Why won't the government wake up and reform the stupid, wasteful, ineffective approach that has wasted so much money and cost so many lives? Because so many government agencies owe their existence to it. You think law enforcement wants to WIN the drug war? Think again...they don't want it to EVER end.

I can't even estimate how many drug arrests I made or how many doors I kicked down on drug dens, or how many hours I spent in court or how many tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayer funds were squandered in paying me to do those things.

But I can tell you this...I regret every single drug arrest I ever made, and if I could go back in time and release those people and apologize to them I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The drug war is a wretched, miserable failure that has done NOTHING to increase the quality of life for Americans, and it's time for it to end.

Now thats a cop I like:rockwoot:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I spent my life in law enforcement and I can attest that the drug war is one of the stupidest mistakes that this country has ever made.

Why won't the government wake up and reform the stupid, wasteful, ineffective approach that has wasted so much money and cost so many lives? Because so many government agencies owe their existence to it. You think law enforcement wants to WIN the drug war? Think again...they don't want it to EVER end.

I can't even estimate how many drug arrests I made or how many doors I kicked down on drug dens, or how many hours I spent in court or how many tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayer funds were squandered in paying me to do those things.

But I can tell you this...I regret every single drug arrest I ever made, and if I could go back in time and release those people and apologize to them I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The drug war is a wretched, miserable failure that has done NOTHING to increase the quality of life for Americans, and it's time for it to end.

Ok Liberty, you're getting a lil carried away, there are more than a few people I've arrested for drug charges that I wouldn't ever regret. The guy that treats his family like crap that you find a couple ounces on, the 40 year old creeper selling dope to school kids, The single mom that's smoking a blunt while her kids complain about being hungry, the guy that can't pay child support but always can afford his ganja.... I'm sure that in your 17 years you had to have run into something like that. I have a lil more than half your time "in" and I've run into this repeatedly. So if you have, I'm pretty sure that you don't honestly regret it.
    ...I don't think anybody could. :dunno:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    i dont smoke weed, i haven't since 2003, but if it will help get rid of the bull**** and all the smugglers trying to get it into the states and take money away from them then yes i am for it, weather it be home grown or maybe government regulated (but i just cant see a pack of cigs/joints) lmfao

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    Keep it illegal, those that want to smoke pot or do other drugs - It's time to grow up.

Whether or not it's a stupid, immature thing to do is completely beside the point. You have no right to force others to behave according to your standards. It's their right to be as stupid and foolish as they like, as long as they don't harm anyone else.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm on the side of "legalize all drugs".

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Might as well. It can't do any more damage than alcohol and it would give the feds a whole new set of stuff to tax. Fools are using it anyway, so we might as well end the drug war to save the cash and enlarge the tax base. Besides, it would give folks something to do when they are not allowed to use tobacco.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Mathematical proof:

Standard INGO/2a argument that gun control laws are bad and should be repealed because they only keep law-abiding citizens from getting guns (the law doesn't really work, so it should be removed), people who want them will get them anyway == marijuana laws don't work anyway, people who want it will still get it, so ...

And on that note, people who want to drive faster than the posted limit will do so despite the signs and laws, so...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Something tells me that this thread and poll is not going the way OP was hoping. He's in a minority. Perhaps it's time to actually rethink his position rationally and with an eye towards liberty and freedom.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Something tells me that this thread and poll is not going the way OP was hoping. He's in a minority. Perhaps it's time to actually rethink his position rationally and with an eye towards liberty and freedom.

You mean he should just shut up and accept assimilation?

I am for legalizing MJ on principles.

a) It's not a federal issue and the federal government should not criminalize activities they have not been granted the authority to do by the Constitution.

b) It is a state issue. States are fully empowered as sovereigns to regulate and criminalize any behavior not prevented under the Federal Constitution.

c) There are no studies showing pot is any more dangerous than alcohol.

d) It is hypocritical to allow the consumption of alcohol with all the attendent societal ills and individual health risks and to maintain criminalization of pot, whose biggest impact will likely be run on munchies at the 7-11.

The "government shouldn't be involved in drugs" argument is weakminded. The Federal government shouldn't. However state governments absolutely can, and should if it is the collective will of their people. After all states are Sovereign, and there is nothing in the Constitution preventing the States from regulating drug posession or use within their state borders.

Having said that, I don't think you should ignore c & d above. Almost all arguments around drug use (both sides) are emotional and illogical.

I think that while the OP's opinion may be in the minority on this forum, it is still the majority opinion in society.

Last edited:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Do you want your doctor, dentist, or your kids teacher to be stoned:(

Glad you posted, Cause I just remember, Do you want the COPS, your LAWYER, & the JUDGE stoned while hearing your case:rolleyes:

You can drink 1 or 2 beers & be find, but smoke 1 or 2 blunts & see if you'll be find:D

I would rather they be stoned than drunk ,
    So was that your first blunt r two or drink or two before you decided they would be FIND .....LMAO:D

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    It's an interesting dilemna. To a degree, a successful nation must have a moral standard. The moral standard creates the culture. There has not been a single society that has ever without them...
    Do we really want to be a culture of hookers and dopers? Does the thought of living in a neighborhood where your kids pass by a brothel, on there way to school, bother you?
    Legalization is a pipe dream. It won't solve a single problem. If anything, IMO it will create more deadeats, more freeloaders, and end up with more money out of my pocket to pay for them. If you want it legalized, the first thing you have to do is end our "handout" culture. If we allow that to subsist, legalization is doomed to failure. That said, it not conceiveable that will happen in any of our lifetimes.
    The least productive members of our society are those who abuse intoxicants (and I'm throwing alcohol in there too). I see no reason legalize yet another substance that will lead to more people begging the govt to support them.

+1

To me, marijuana is no worse than alcohol, in fact it is probably less detrimental. if smoked through a water bong or consumed by food, many of the health hazards are "lessened" than that of smoking. It isn't tearing up your liver or lungs this way.... however, I do not think it should be legalized and yes I do believe it is a gateway drug. Eventually the high isnt as good as it used to be... and people will keep looking to make it better. Most people don't go out and commit violent acts while high on weed. They're a lot less of a danger to themselves and others on weed in comparison to alcohol. They're pretty lazy actually in most cases... which honestly is part of what is wrong with this country. Everyone acts like they are owed something.. and deserve handouts. Our country tends to reward underachievement now for some reason rather than hard work. So with that in mind... I do not believe that will help solve any problems. Lets give the citizens one more legal way to be worthless? Yes there are exceptions to the rule.... Some of the smartest people I have gone to school with were potheads. But when looking at the big picture... observing "people" and not an individual "person" most people will agree that marijuana isn't going to be beneficial. I don't foresee it creating "new jobs" or solving our unemployment issues. How is it going to alleviate the financial struggles of our country? by taxing it? considering the unemployment rates atm... many people are on some sort of government assistance... so by legalizing marijuana and taxing it... people can spend their government assistance money on weed from the government. this just sounds like a plan that is full of win..i'll stop there before I get derailed in my thoughts and go off on a tangent in a different direction. :twocents:

I am curious... some people answered "legalize all drugs".... can you tell me what good would come from having meth legalized?

-dcary7

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    +1

To me, marijuana is no worse than alcohol (snip)... however, I do not think it should be legalized and yes I do believe it is a gateway drug. Eventually the high isnt as good as it used to be... and people will keep looking to make it better.

Is alcohol a gateway drug? :dunno:

What if people enjoy the "high" they get from marijuana, and they don't need anything else?

I don't get how so many people understand what everyone else is thinking, and what someone else needs.

Top Bottom