• Should Marijuana be Legalized?

• Total voters

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    How is that relevant? Just trying to follow the logic.

How is it relevant?

If he smoked marijuana in the past, and marijuana is a gateway drug, then why is he not hitting a crack pipe right now? Or snorting lines of cocaine.

Seems relevant to me.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Actually, you're 100% right. Believe it or not for the first time, I actually agree with 88GT. I find it incredibly interesting that the poll indicated that the vast majority of members are for legalizing marijuana, only. Cocaine, heroin, meth, and other controlled substances are purposefully omitted. What happened to the idea of the "freedom to put anything someone wanted in their body without consequences?" It is clearly apparent that the majority of people within this poll view drugs with a moral hierarchy. They support marijuana legalization, but other drugs, they would like to keep illegal. :dunno:
    Are you actually looking at the same numbers as the rest of us? This poll shows (at this time) 47% in favour of cannabis only. 32% of respondents are in favour of legalising ALL drugs. That's a pretty large number, considering that only 118 people have voted, so far. Pro-legalisation is leading the pack with those in favour of legalising ALL drugs as close second. Your interpretation is flawed.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Have you? what I have or have not done is irrelevant to this dispute? Have you smoked it? by my admission or denial of participating in it, does that make my argument more or less credible?

If you haven't smoked it, how do YOU know the effects it has? Because of what someone else told you?

Last edited:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    How is it relevant?

If he smoked marijuana in the past, and marijuana is a gateway drug, then why is he not hitting a crack pipe right now? Or snorting lines of cocaine.

Seems relevant to me.

no its not, because you also said you thought they started with cigarettes or alcohol.. so for that line of thinking.. most everyone should be stoned out of their mind on some substance right now.

Also, as I have stated on several occasions already.. you cant look at an individual person in the argument... it is people at as a whole.. the majority. Not the select few you chose to examine.

Last edited:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Random thought on drugs and the drug war:

Doing "hard" drugs is idiotic.

I think the drug war is unconstitutional. That alone is sufficient reason to end it.

Demand for drugs is high, supply is forbidden. This causes drugs to be expensive and its suppliers to be dangerous.

Forbidding drugs has made them more potent. Minimizing the physical size of the substance while maintaining the effective dose, allows it to be smuggled more easily. Cocaine for example, in its natural form is a mild stimulant that is used widely South America with little or no ill effect. Concentrating it allows cost-effective transportation and distribution. In this form is dangerous and very addictive.

Smuggling drugs is a high risk venture, so entrepreneurs have come up with substances that can be made locally with little equipment. Meth for example; a hideous drug that is dangerous to manufacture and use.

Drug dealers don't check IDs. Liquor stores and pharmacies do. Bob's House O' Booze won't sell Boone's Farm to your 14 year old daughter, but Dr. Feelgood on the street corner will sell her Meth all night long, and if she doesn't have money, he's willing to take other methods of "payment".

Addicts who are non-functioning (i.e. unemployed) need to steal a lot of property to support a very expensive habit. This makes the rest of us suffer for their stupid decision.

I don't recall the last time I heard about Pfizer and Eli Lilly having a gun battle in the streets over turf. Both of them manufacture potent, addictive drugs.

Your grandfather (or great grandfather) could buy cocaine and heroine at the drug store, and you turned out fine. In the 1920's when alcohol was prohibited, there were gun battles in the streets. When prohibition ended the gun battles ended and the nation did not collapse in an alcoholic stupor. In 1890 when you could legally buy cannabis, there were no gun battles in the streets. Cannabis is illegal today and there are gun battles in the streets.

Sending a drug addict to prison has many effects. Most of them are not good.

• It does not treat the problem.

• Having a felony record makes it harder for them to get a job, making continuing criminal behavior one of their few options.

• Time in "crime college" helps them become more effective criminals.

The drug war has militarized police forces, giving us legions of dangerous young men willing kick in doors and use explosives and automatic weapons on people who are only exercising their free will. Sometimes they get the wrong house. In either case, it is tragic.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    no its not, because you also said you thought they started with cigarettes or alcohol.. so for that line of thinking.. most everyone should be stoned out of their mind on some substance right now.

That is YOUR line of thinking, not mine. I am not the one calling any of those things "gateway" drugs.

I said that they probably used those drugs first...so by YOUR line of thinking alcohol and tobacco should also be considered "gateway" drugs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are you actually looking at the same numbers as the rest of us? This poll shows (at this time) 47% in favour of cannabis only. 32% of respondents are in favour of legalising ALL drugs. That's a pretty large number, considering that only 118 people have voted, so far. Pro-legalisation is leading the pack with those in favour of legalising ALL drugs as close second. Your interpretation is flawed.

How so? I think you not willing to look at the obvious. The majority of those who have submitted to the poll aren't for the universal legalization of all drugs. That means that they don't want other drugs legalized. That is directly contrary to your idea of "freedom," is it not? After all, you contend that if it's not hurting anyone, it should be legal. Well if that is correct why don't the people who voted for the first option agree? Whether you want to admit it or not, there's a moral component at work there.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Possibly, but that wasn't my question. I asked if people, specifically Americans, would be ok with a brothel in their neighborhood. Whether or not it harms the children is moot, I'm wondering what specific parents think.
    A brothel in my neighborhood? That would remove the risk of my pastor seeing my car parked outside the place.

I am a product of the 60's. Never smoked it myself, but then never saw it as a problem. I also answered the bugle's call to Vietnam, while my friends were promoting flower power. Maybe I am not the most objective person on this subject?

As a LEO was involved in far more alcohol related incidents than marijuana. Saw far more ill effects to others related to alcohol abuse than drug abuse. Scraped up body parts from streets because of alcohol impaired drivers. At question here is not alcohol or drugs, it's abuse.

This subject has been cussed and discussed for years by people more qualified than many of us. Haven't yet seen a perfect solution. There is no perfect solution. When dealing with people, anything and everything is subject to abuse.

From our own history we know that alcohol prohibition didn't work. We also know that it bred some very sophisticated organized crime syndicates that made a lot of illegal money for the wrong people and left many others dead. Are we not seeing the same with the drug war? It's costing us billions and making billions for the dirt bag cartels. We won't even get into the thousands being killed and the virtual ruination of Mexico (drugs are not Mexico's only problem btw).

What we are now doing is not working and has not worked for decades. If for no other reason, legalize and regulate mary jane (haven't used that term in awhile), reap the tax revenue and see what happens.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    That is YOUR line of thinking, not mine. I am not the one calling any of those things "gateway" drugs.

I said that they probably used those drugs first...so by YOUR line of thinking alcohol and tobacco should also be considered "gateway" drugs.

I apologize, I should have been more clear... I was referring to weed as the first illegal drug that they started with.. which would move them on to a harder substance... "most" everyone I know... that smoked weed... at some other time... tried something else... yes there are people that don't try anything else.. and can smoke it day in and day out and it not affect their daily lives negatively... but there is the completely other end of the spectrum that you have to consider too.

Alcohol, which I feel is just a dangerous (if not more dangerous) is not a gateway drug in my opinion. A persons judgment may be skewed if they are heavily intoxicated which could increase the chance of them doing something that they would not do if they were sober whether it be another drug.. or some other ignorant act. I drink very little any more... an occasional beer here and there with dinner,etc... I dont drink for effect anymore.

Cigarettes... idk, I don't see what any of the appeal to them is... they make food taste like crap... and they're expensive... i like the taste of food.. and dont wanna waste money on it..../shrug lol i guess i am too cheap to smoke... plus it is bad for your health, and honestly I attempt to maintain good physical health.

again, what good is legalizing drugs going to do? other than "you feel it is your constitutional right"... which as I stated, state level should regulate if the state allows it... but i still dont think it should be legalized.

dcary7

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I misread the voting options. I got as far as "legalize it" and pushed the button. I didn't see there was an option to legalize everything or I would have picked that one.

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm against legalization but for a completely different reason.

One of the best reasons smoking weed was great in my youth was that it got me to find my own moral compass and question authority.

Having grown in a very traditional family, I never questioned anything. If my mom and dad put their foot down, that was it. I just did it. But it is the responsibility of every citizen in a democracy to be able to question and criticize the status quo. The tragedy of our generation (I'm in my mid-twenties) I think is that we never learned to do this properly. We didn't have wars or economic calamities (hope we're not heading into one now). We're the children of the baby boomers, some of the most prosperous people in human history. We've never HAD to question authority. Yet this quality is not only crucial, I think, to leadership and success in general. After all, you're always going to be a follower if you can't think past the rules.

I think breaking some rules in your teens and twenties is essential to your moral growth. Now, instead of following laws, which are not my own, I follow my own moral code, which happens to be consistent with most laws. I feel like during my moral growth I kind of internalized laws that I consider fair and sensible.

As for medical uses, I've heard that it has a lot of palliative uses. Well, there are a lot of palliative alternatives out there. No need to pick one that's predominantly smoked, worst thing you can do for your health anyway. And if you smoke any pot at all, you know you can't say no to a fat blunt. Besides, it's so easy to score weed anyway, and in most states, penalty for having some recreational weed is such a joke. So if you need it, just get it, and don't even try to tell me "it's harder to get because it's illegal". I've traveled a lot, and in most of the US you can get it more easily than a pack of cigarettes. Keep it illegal and brew some healthy disdain for The Man. My 2 cents.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Drug laws , Just like Gun laws always have and always will have the , what I like to call the "YEAH BUT effect .

No matter how much you prove to people Gun laws are stupid you will always have some Idiot throw out a YEAH BUT .

Same with drug laws . No matter how much you prove how stupid and how much they Cost the taxpayers , you get some fool with the YEAH BUT ...:ingo:

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    again, what good is legalizing drugs going to do? other than "you feel it is your constitutional right"... which as I stated, state level should regulate if the state allows it... but i still dont think it should be legalized.
    Since you asked about meth earlier I'm going to go with that one.

Removing the stigma and threat from legal action from users would have two beneficial effects. First, being better informed would have them more capable of taking care of themselves, moderating use and preventing secondary health effects like those lovely rotten teeth. Second, they'd be more likely to seek treatment for addiction.
    Some purity and dosage standards would be a good thing.
    Likewise removing or at least cutting down on those homebrewing labs that at best poison the entire residence, at worst start fires and explosions.
    Greater availability to medical users would also result. Some people really do use this as medication.. under the brand name Desoxyn it's used in ADHD cases, maybe some other conditions.

The gateway theory is crap. What about the people that are satisfied with a drink now and then and don't use anything else? What about the people that are satisfied with a joint now and then and don't use anything else? Different drugs have very different effects, intensity is not something to judge by at all.

This is in the end a morality issue.. and it has been since the start, when Anslinger pushed for criminalization with brilliant arguments like, it will make white women sleep with black men, and listen to their satanic jazz music. Look it up, the first drug czar of this country literally argued like this, and people bought it.
    If I had my way even tobacco would never have existed. I lost three family members to cancer caused by cigarette addiction. But I don't think I have the right to prohibit anyone from smoking - they know the risks, they know the damage, it's their decision..

So what gives you prohibitionists the right to shove your morality on me?

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I misread the voting options. I got as far as "legalize it" and pushed the button. I didn't see there was an option to legalize everything or I would have picked that one.

I said legalize EVERYTHING. Making the drugs forbidden drives the desire up IMO.

People are going to do drugs legal or not, so why not at least give people the choice and allow them to do cleaner drugs.

Personally, even if all drugs were legal, I wouldn't be doing crack // coke // heroine or the like. I would however smoke the ganja :patriot:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I tried being high. Found out I'm a pot snob. I only like the really good stuff, and only in limited amounts. Cheap weed just makes me feel dizzy and sick.

Also, I can't combine ANY drinking with smoking. That just never ends well.

Since I really enjoy drinking, it pretty much precludes me from ever smoking.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I find the concept of "gateway drugs" asinine - it was all dreamed up by powerful people looking to make more money and gain more control over people.

Anything you hear from these idiots is all FUD, pushing their religious agenda's.

Top Bottom