• ...and so much more!
  • duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    NO! You will hate yourself later, the PSL isn't worth $400
    kinda wondering your reasoning for hating on the psl ..... it does exactly what it was designed to do hit a man sized target at at 600/800 meters at it does exactly that.... i have 600 in my first build that includes 4 mags and optic and i loved the rifle so much i bought another parts kit ...... i like it cause its different, cheap to shoot, and its a real eye grabber i cant take it to the range with out some one begging to shoot it ..... most of all its a blast to shoot and thats all that matters to me

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    My PSL can out shoot my FAL.

Neither is a terribly accurate rifle, but my PSL can shoot MOA. I have never shot that with my FAL.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co

Neither is a terribly accurate rifle, but my PSL can shoot MOA. I have never shot that with my FAL.
    mines a bit weird likes bulgy ammo will shoots sub moa at 100 but at 200 meter is opens up to 3in on a rest..... now Russian lightball its best at 300 meters 2.8in group

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

I had a PSL and it never shot that good plus it had $400 worth of extras done to it. Not knocking on you but I highly doubt a PSL shoots 1MOA @ 100yds, 200yds, 300yds, etc. There is a huge thread on PSLs over on AKFiles that I have been following and the most accurate PSLs are shooting 2"-3" groups @ 100yds which would be 2MOA & 3MOA respectively. Those are respectable groups for any DMR-type rifle.:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    kinda wondering your reasoning for hating on the psl ..... it does exactly what it was designed to do hit a man sized target at at 600/800 meters at it does exactly that.... i have 600 in my first build that includes 4 mags and optic and i loved the rifle so much i bought another parts kit ...... i like it cause its different, cheap to shoot, and its a real eye grabber i cant take it to the range with out some one begging to shoot it ..... most of all its a blast to shoot and thats all that matters to me

The hating comes from dealing with scope issues on the two that I handled quite a bit. I could zero it and put it up, then next range trip I would have to zero it again. This happened everytime. I tried 4 different ammos, ranging from makes, and even the 7N1 Russian stuff I was promised that would get that 2-3 inch group. The best I ever got was a constant 4"-5" group, and sometimes I wouldn't get that.

I check the mounts, scopes, and the rail, everything fit tight and was fine. It is just a terrible mounting system and the scopes you are given are terrible. A TWS top cover and updated scope might help you out, but after all, it is just a long piston AK.:twocents:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The hating comes from dealing with scope issues on the two that I handled quite a bit. I could zero it and put it up, then next range trip I would have to zero it again. This happened everytime. I tried 4 different ammos, ranging from makes, and even the 7N1 Russian stuff I was promised that would get that 2-3 inch group. The best I ever got was a constant 4"-5" group, and sometimes I wouldn't get that.

I check the mounts, scopes, and the rail, everything fit tight and was fine. It is just a terrible mounting system and the scopes you are given are terrible. A TWS top cover and updated scope might help you out, but after all, it is just a long piston AK.:twocents:

I put a BP-02 mount on mine with a CounterSniper scope on it. Once zeroed it would be all over the place. I would do a 2" group on 3 shots then the next 2 shots would open the group up to 4"-5". Like stated above, PSLs are merely AKs on steroids. Anybody that claims these are tack-drivers has never shot one or they have the best PSL ever that shoots magic bullets. They do serve their purpose well(being a DMR), but can only handle 150gr bullets or below.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I put a BP-02 mount on mine with a CounterSniper scope on it. Once zeroed it would be all over the place. I would do a 2" group on 3 shots then the next 2 shots would open the group up to 4"-5". Like stated above, PSLs are merely AKs on steroids. Anybody that claims these are tack-drivers has never shot one or they have the best PSL ever that shoots magic bullets. They do serve their purpose well(being a DMR), but can only handle 150gr bullets or below.

The looks are exactly what get everyone all excited, then once you shoot it, the excitedness leaves quickly. Just because it looks awesome, doesn't mean it shoots.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had a PSL I wouldve gladly traded for an FAL.

But the other way around..... no.

Sold the PSL bc I got sick of dealing with dirty corrosive ammo.

Id much rather have an FAL.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i truely doubt the stringing is that bad to get 5in groups at 100 yards now 2-3in are fairly common .... and no is claming the psl is a tack driver but it not that uncommon for people to shoot 1 to 1.5 moa with these rifles..... now people that shorten the barrel to 20in are doing much better groupings than most of us..... but i will note a few things that people take for granted with shooting a psl...... the psop is not a persion scope, and it doesn't not have fine tune able adjustments.... the recital is not ideal for target shooting, and half of the time people fail to note these are metric rifles 100 yards doesnt equal 100 meters and you be surprised in the differences in groupings between the two distances...... if i have time ill try to post a 100 meter vs 100 yard group pattern i personally was surprised to see a tighter group at 100meters (not much better but its notable) and i will note i have never been able to shoot better than 2moa with a psop scope..... iron sights or aftermarket optics 1-1.5 moa becomes more possible

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    i truely doubt the stringing is that bad to get 5in groups at 100 yards now 2-3in are fairly common .... and no is claming the psl is a tack driver but it not that uncommon for people to shoot 1 to 1.5 moa with these rifles..... now people that shorten the barrel to 20in are doing much better groupings than most of us..... but i will note a few things that people take for granted with shooting a psl...... the psop is not a persion scope, and it doesn't not have fine tune able adjustments.... the recital is not ideal for target shooting, and half of the time people fail to note these are metric rifles 100 yards doesnt equal 100 meters and you be surprised in the differences in groupings between the two distances...... if i have time ill try to post a 100 meter vs 100 yard group pattern i personally was surprised to see a tighter group at 100meters (not much better but its notable) and i will note i have never been able to shoot better than 2moa with a psop scope..... iron sights or aftermarket optics 1-1.5 moa becomes more possible

My barrel was shortened to 19" and completely dehorned with the barrel crowned. I mounted a much better scope then the PSOP(CounterSniper 8x on a BP-02). I shot Russian and Bulgy 147GR through it with crappy results. I then shot Prvi 150GR through it with the same results. Nobody over on AKFiles is EVEN coming close to 1 or 1.5MOA with a PSL. Real deal Russian Dragunovs don't even shoot 1MOA and they are superior to the PSL in every way. Here is a pic just to prove that I'm not making up the rifle I am talking about:
    picture.php

Sorry to hijack the thread, but keep the FAL. You will regret it down the road if you trade for that PSL.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I was gonna stay out of this one...
    Seems like alot of folks had some bad psl's here:popcorn:

I traded a Beautiful Saiga 12 converted and topped off with plum, I will never look back, My psl 54 c Is 99% matching and accurate.
    Ive had absolutely nothing but positive things to say about my PSL,
    and my optics do NOT walk they are properly mounted and adjusted. I must be a lucky PSL owner ?
    I have personally done remounting test on mine, remounted and was still on target, every time.
    I can see if issues are damaged goods, crooked sights, barrels and gas blocks, but if you get one that's proper you have an exotic rifle that "WELL" serves its intended purpose of a DMR, I wouldn't trade or sell mine off for anything as of right now and dont think I will be anytime in the future lol even the Afghans see the PSL as exotic and collectable vs thier SVD's:):
    now
    Here is an older target sat at 180-190 yards, notice the smiley face and groups some of this target received, This was not all at once, but in small sessions of 3-4 rounds at a time,
    And look in the left corner, during my session a fellow shooter noticed how much I was enjoying my new rifle and wanted to see if I could take out an egg on top off my target, amazingly and confident i took it out first shot, you can see where the egg has splattered. The "#39" shots were 7.62 x 39 my brother was shooting an AK his first time.

I was going for tighter "head shots" with this target, If this was a real situation I would go for mass, I think these results were exceptionally well for this ak platform, I looove my PSL.
    The optics are crystal, solid and easy to use, the rifle is easy to maintain and the parts are obtainable and the 54R isn't leaving anytime soon, as long as...a pen stroke doesn't stop it.....

I don't use anything over 160 grain and flush after every session followed by re lubrication, no rust no pitting corrosive ammo is no pain in my butt.

look at #2 #3 grouping of 3.....oh a group? #1 has two holes on top and 1, 1 inch below the shot on the kneck and two to the chest were "called out"

S5031058.jpg

I wouldn't recommend selling/trading your FAL but $aving to buy a PSL to go with your FAL:D Both rifles are very marketable, exotic, and serve a shooter well, as long as your not shooting an assembled mess.
    That FAL is a bad boy for sure, if you DO decide to trade make SURE you have a qualified or experienced person who knows this platform to give it a "twice over" :ingo::patriot::popcorn:

Dragunov dot net - Romanian PSL Rifle Information
    PSL (rifle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:twocents:INDY K

Oh and
    Here is a pic just to prove that I'm not making up the rifle I am talking about: LOL!!
    IMAG0004.jpg

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Now Sig dont get ur pants in a bunch...
    Seems like alot of folks had some bad psl's here:popcorn:

I traded a Beautiful Saiga 12 converted and topped off with plum, I will never look back, My psl 54 c Is 99% matching and accurate.
    Ive had absolutely nothing but positive things to say about my PSL,
    and my optics do NOT walk they are properly mounted and adjusted. I must be a lucky PSL owner ?
    I have personally done remounting test on mine, remounted and was still on target, every time.
    I can see if issues are damaged goods, crooked sights, barrels and gas blocks, but if you get one that's proper you have an exotic rifle that "WELL" serves its intended purpose of a DMR, I wouldn't trade or sell mine off for anything as of right now and dont think I will be anytime in the future lol even the Afghans see the PSL as exotic and collectable vs thier SVD's:):
    now
    Here is an older target sat at 197 yards, notice the smiley face and groups some of this target received, This was not all at once, but in small sessions of 3-4 rounds at a time,
    And look in the left corner, during my session a fellow shooter noticed how much I was enjoying my new rifle and wanted to see if I could take out an egg on top off my target, amazingly and confident i took it out first shot, you can see where the egg has splattered. The "#39" shots were 7.62 x 39 my brother was shooting an AK his first time.

I was going for tighter "head shots" with this target, If this was a real situation I would go for mass, I think these results were exceptionally well for this ak platform, I looove my PSL.
    The optics are crystal, solid and easy to use, the rifle is easy to maintain and the parts are obtainable and the 54R isn't leaving anytime soon, as long as...a pen stroke doesn't stop it.....

I don't use anything over 160 grain and flush after every session followed by re lubrication, no rust no pitting corrosive ammo is no pain in my butt.

S5031058.jpg

I wouldn't recommend selling/trading your FAL but $aving to buy a PSL to go with your FAL:D Both rifles are very marketable, exotic, and serve a shooter well, as long as your not shooting an assembled mess.
    That FAL is a bad boy for sure, if you DO decide to trade make SURE you have a qualified or experienced person who knows this platform to give it a "twice over" :ingo::patriot::popcorn:

Dragunov dot net - Romanian PSL Rifle Information
    PSL (rifle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:twocents:INDY K

Oh and
    Here is a pic just to prove that I'm not making up the rifle I am talking about: LOL!!
    IMAG0004.jpg

Not getting my panties in a bunch at all. I don't wear any:D
    I just find it laughable that people claim 1MOA @ 100yds w/ a PSL. If somebody ever claimed that over on AKFiles they would be laughed off the site. I'm glad you got a good one and enjoy it. I sold mine and never looked back and bought a M1A Loaded(it doesn't shoot 1MOA either).

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Now Sig dont get ur pants in a bunch...

And I had just changed the opening sentence DOOO! too late :D
    your watchin this one close are ya:ingo::D

Top Bottom