should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    all my posts thus far are on the assumption that nyfelon is a honest man. to me everyone is a honest man until they prove me wrong (probably a backwards way to think in todays world) if he is not being honest with us thats on him and only he will ever know. frankly it doesn't change my opinion. if you cant believe he is being truthfull, view it as ahypothetical and post your opinion

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    all my posts thus far are on the assumption that nyfelon is a honest man. to me everyone is a honest man until they prove me wrong (probably a backwards way to think in todays world) if he is not being honest with us thats on him and only he will ever know. frankly it doesn't change my opinion. if you cant believe he is being truthfull, view it as ahypothetical and post your opinion
    tried to rep you, but im out. youve gotta give a guy the benefit of the doubt until he proves hes a liar. at least as far as im concerned.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'm at school right now so I don't have time to answer everyone individually but what do I gain by lying on an internet forum?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    In Indiana if your felony is a non-violent or minor felony you can have it lowered and can have a firearm.

The thing is, the prosecutor is the one that gets to decide if the sentence will be amended. No one else. Since they are in the business of convicting, I doubt they will be willing to amend.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The thing is, the prosecutor is the one that gets to decide if the sentence will be amended. No one else. Since they are in the business of convicting, I doubt they will be willing to amend.
    Over ten years after the sentence is served and done, the reduction of the charge from felony to misdemeanor doesn't really affect the stats, I wouldn't think, and besides, it's probably not the current prosecutor who got his conviction. This strikes me as simply being an anti-gun thing and nothing else.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If you don't like the laws then get them changed. However, the law here is what it is and if you don't like it then don't break it.

Laws should not be considered automatically correct. Barring felons from firearm ownership is not only Constitutionally wrong, it is morally repugnant. Justifying a repugnant law purely on the basis that it IS a law has no logical standing.

tried to rep you, but im out. youve gotta give a guy the benefit of the doubt until he proves hes a liar. at least as far as im concerned.

I agree. It's a rarity these days. One's word is bond, and until it's broken I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Over ten years after the sentence is served and done, the reduction of the charge from felony to misdemeanor doesn't really affect the stats, I wouldn't think, and besides, it's probably not the current prosecutor who got his conviction. This strikes me as simply being an anti-gun thing and nothing else.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

I think it has a lot to do with setting precedence. You did it for him but not me, must be some type of discrimination. I think it's easier for them to avoid hassle by just saying no to everyone.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think it has a lot to do with setting precedence. You did it for him but not me, must be some type of discrimination. I think it's easier for them to avoid hassle by just saying no to everyone.

The precedent is already set in some places, IN for one, that X years after your conviction and sentence, you may petition the court to request a modification of the charge down to a misdemeanor. Such petitions take into account the crime committed, the former offender's behavior since the conviction, and other factors.

An example I've used before on a slightly different subject is that if, at age 5, you throw a ball in the house and break a vase, your parent spanks you, and sends you to bed without supper, and grounds you for a week. Then, the following month, your siblings and friends are all going to the circus, but you're told you can't go because you threw a ball in the house and broke a vase. Come Christmas, you don't get a present from either Santa OR your parents for the same reason, and this same pattern follows ever after, for that one misdeed at age 5. Would any of us who are parents think this to be about correcting the misbehavior? Would any of us consider even the initial punishment to be anything other than vindictive retribution, rather than simple correction?

Returning to the subject at hand, can you think of a reason NOT to reduce a former offender's charge after he has completed his sentence and shown good and lawful behavior, other than just to continue punishing the offender for the rest of his life? Presuming that NYFelon is telling us the whole, correct story (and at this point, we have no reason to believe or to disbelieve him) Is there anything in this other than petty vindictiveness because his opponent happened to be an unidentified, off-duty, drunk cop?

If there is any precedent set, it is that the badge that that particular cop and his fellow officers that evening dishonored is the token of "might makes right"... that regardless of his dishonorable behavior, NYF and his friends should have just taken the beating they had coming to them because they dared to cross this rectal orifice in "his" bar.

I'm just going to throw a guess out there that that's probably not the position you're taking. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    In Indiana, it is the sole discretion of the prosecutor after the first year. In my city, it is no way. Ever.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    So many of our laws are knee-jerk simplistic measures designed to artificially assuage fears, and boost politicians electability.
    Agreed.

I don't see much sense in this. If someone's violent and dangerous why are they being freed from prison in the first place? Their release means they've taken their punishment, paid their debt to society, whatever that means, right?

Instead the system makes them pay for the rest of their lives, in ways like denial of rights.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Laws should not be considered automatically correct. Barring felons from firearm ownership is not only Constitutionally wrong, it is morally repugnant. Justifying a repugnant law purely on the basis that it IS a law has no logical standing.

So if a guy rapes and assaults a woman with a knife then he should be allowed to buy a firearm after he gets out of prison? A lot of times you won't see a guy get over 20yrs for a crime like that. Also, what about his mental stability after he gets out? You have talked about incarceration so you must know the damage that it does to a person and their mental stability right?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So if a guy rapes and assaults a woman with a knife then he should be allowed to buy a firearm after he gets out of prison? A lot of times you won't see a guy get over 20yrs for a crime like that. Also, what about his mental stability after he gets out? You have talked about incarceration so you must know the damage that it does to a person and their mental stability right?
    The problem there is that he should never be let out of prison. I do not think people accidentally rape people, It is thought out in their mind time and time again until they finally decide to do it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom