should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The problem there is that he should never be let out of prison. I do not think people accidentally rape people, It is thought out in their mind time and time again until they finally decide to do it.

I agree completely but they are let out of prison. So with that being the case and if I understand Patriot Pride correctly then they should be allowed to legally own a firearm.

What about murderers who only get 25 or 30 years?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So if a guy rapes and assaults a woman with a knife then he should be allowed to buy a firearm after he gets out of prison? A lot of times you won't see a guy get over 20yrs for a crime like that. Also, what about his mental stability after he gets out? You have talked about incarceration so you must know the damage that it does to a person and their mental stability right?

Yup.
    Once again, name another constitutional right that felons should be deprived of.

The constitution, except it all or don't except it at all.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Yup.
    Once again, name another constitutional right that felons should be deprived of.

The constitution, except it all or don't except it at all.

We will never agree on this. That is the beauty of America.

Another right that felons should be deprived of? I don't think child molesters should have to be given any warning before they are visited by their probation officer and checked out. If you are a sick s.o.b. who molests kids then I could care less what anyone thinks your rights should be.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree that we will never agree, but it's wrong to make decisions based on emotion. My family was directly affected by a violent felony. I still have to realize that our rights should remain intact. We can't pick and choose what rights others have unless we are willing to give them up ourselves.

Look at Westboro, their actions are revolting, but we either support their rights (not the message) or we don't. If we don't, then we have no right to complain when our rights are infringed on.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed."

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I agree that we will never agree, but it's wrong to make decisions based on emotion. My family was directly affected by a violent felony. I still have to realize that our rights should remain intact. We can't pick and choose what rights others have unless we are willing to give them up ourselves.

Look at Westboro, their actions are revolting, but we either support their rights (not the message) or we don't. If we don't, then we have no right to complain when our rights are infringed on.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed."
    I understand where you are coming from but still have no sympathy for people who decide to commit a felony.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I agree completely but they are let out of prison. So with that being the case and if I understand Patriot Pride correctly then they should be allowed to legally own a firearm.

Like so many things, it's not a simple solution. We can't JUST open it up to everyone, we also have to deal with the criminals so that those who we cannot trust do not get out.

I put it in verse a few years ago:
    "Nothing stops a criminal but a coffin or a cell;
    Lock 'em up inside a cage or send 'em straight to hell."

Or as Uncle Ted put it, "I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."

So many things that we call "felonies" are relatively minor offenses... mala prohibita in legalese... But those that actually have a real victim, such as murder, rape, assault/battery (despite the fact that Indiana's law does not include a definition or crime of "assault") are offenses that should carry real punishments, though not special punishments by classes of people-if two people are both struck and have broken noses and dislocated jaws, why should the crime against one carry a greater punishment solely because of that person's employment? The crime is no worse, neither should be the punishment, IMHO.)

Does that help?

Blessings,
    Bill

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    So if a guy rapes and assaults a woman with a knife then he should be allowed to buy a firearm after he gets out of prison? A lot of times you won't see a guy get over 20yrs for a crime like that. Also, what about his mental stability after he gets out? You have talked about incarceration so you must know the damage that it does to a person and their mental stability right?

In a word, yes. The problem is not firearm ownership, but the laughability (or lack thereof) of our laws regarding sentencing and incarceration.

Yes, I know about incarceration and yes, I see the damage that it CAN do to a person's mental stability. It's not guaranteed and should be evaluated on a case by case basis (although I'm not quite sure WHY that was brought into this discussion).

The problem there is that he should never be let out of prison. I do not think people accidentally rape people, It is thought out in their mind time and time again until they finally decide to do it.

Exactly.

You are correct about my view.

Again, the issue is not firearm ownership but our laws regarding sentencing.

I understand where you are coming from but still have no sympathy for people who decide to commit a felony.

On this we can agree. I have no sympathy for those who break the law, be it misdemeanor or felony. I would like to see a return to the Constitution and fair legislation, that's all. :patriot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Hold on there... According to NYFelon's story, which for lack of evidence either way, I'll take at face value at least for the sake of the discussion, he didn't "decide to commit a felony"... he decided to defend himself from a guy who took a swing at him. It just so happened that the guy who did so was a drunk, off-duty cop, and he got railroaded. (Yes, I'm aware of the saying that the jails are full of innocent people.)

So... If someone took a poke at you, are you saying you wouldn't defend yourself? And if that person was "seriously injured" and it so happens was a police officer who had not identified himself to you as such, should we not have sympathy for you? It's a fair question. Granted, this is Indiana. There is a greater likelihood, I think, that the court would see through the BS and find in favor of common sense, but what if, y'know?

Blessings,
    Bill

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

do you think not being able to go to a shop and buy a gun will keep them from getting one if they really want one? the law only hinders felons who are trying not to break the law and go back to jail.

i do agree with you on one point. the beauty of america is to agree to dissagree.:ingo:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

do folks that register .09 bac decide to comit dui or think they are under the limit? murder, rape, etc you decide to comit. there are quite a few felonys now that you dont decide to comit you find out you did. honestly i would have more incomon with your line of thinking if EVERYTHING was not considered a felony like it is today.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I can see it happening. As I said there would be those who simply don't or won't believe the story I laid out. And again, that's perfectly within their rights. They don't know me from Tom, Dick, or Harry. And yes, everyone in jail is innocent. I know because I was there. Neither have I given you cause to believe my case, nor to disbelieve it. Some just have a natural inclination in one direction or another. So for those of you who believe I'm not "shooting straight" (see what I did there?), accept it as a hypothetical situation and speak. I believe someone else has already recommended that.

Short of sharing docket numbers with you, which I have exactly no intention of doing as I may as well give you my name, DOB, mothers maiden name and SS number, there's no way I can "prove" that which I say. But ask yourself, what do I gain from lying? I'm on an anonymous internet forum, speaking with people whom I don't know, nor whom know me, discussing an issue of natural born rights. Whether you like it or not, there ARE holes in the system. It's far rarer than some would have you believe, and far more common than others would have you believe. A case in point, the case of Martin Tankleff.

Martin Tankleff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a guy that did 17 years in Prison for killing his parents when all evidence pointed to his having not even been present in the home at the time of the killings. Yet he was sentenced to life in prison for a double homicide. He served 17 ywears of his life, and was finally released after his conviction was overturned. Just for your info......That's the county in which I was charged.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

No way, that's crazy. If a guy rapes and assaults a woman with a knife, he should be hanged until dead.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Defending yourself shouldn't be a felony though.

I know this was a reply to rookie, but you said it several times to NYfelon as well...Assuming NYF is being honest, it would be hard to call him a violent felon and keep a straight face.

***I actually read every post in this thread tonight***:n00b:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    NYFelon- Your story is an great example of why felons shouldn't be denied constitutional rights after they have served their time. Many of us would have reacted in a similiar way in that situation. In that regard, the fact that you were charged with a felony for that is absurd, and smells like dirty police work. Some people have become felons for non-violent offense. Other felons that have committed violent crimes end up turning their lives around. Should they still be denied their Constitutional Rights? I don't think its politically feasible to fight for the rights of felons because as soon as somebody brings up the 2nd Amendment for felons, then the antis can scream that we're deliberately arming violent felons so they can kill children. Maybe if there was a 5 year period after a felon is released ythat if that felon has been 100% clean then all rights are restored?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    G.O.930, I'm actually fully cool with that. It's not unreasonable for society to expect a person convicted of a major crime to show that they have rehabilitated themselves. In research that I've done, most recidivists are back in prison within 1 -3 years. I would imagine if someone can double that (7 years) they can more than likely be trusted to do the right thing. If not, screw em. Lock em up and throw away the key (granting significant evidence to warrant a grand jury indictment).

It's late in the EDT timezone. I just finished up some schoolwork. I'm going to bed.

Have a great night all.

vietboy1st

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Boston, MAss
    I think a felony can own a small pistol at least But the judge should look into case by case not all femoly can get issue a gun. I saw a video on youtube a god **** low life scum in the gang got a lisence to carry a gun to commit a crime. He event said " when a cop pull me over, i just show them this and they wouldn't do **** to me" which is pissed me off more...... But again it suck to obey the laws and trying to be a good citizen....

Last edited by a moderator:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I think a felony can own a small pistol at least But the judge should look into case by case not all femoly can get issue a gun. I saw a video on youtube a god **** low life scum in the gang got a lisence to carry a gun to commit a crime. He event said " when a cop pull me over, i just show them this and they wouldn't do **** to me" which is pissed me off more...... But again it suck to obey the laws and trying to be a good citizen....
    :scratch:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    NYFelon, a couple of things that still give me questions, mainly because the whole situation is scary in the "this could happen to nearly anyone" kind of way...

First, the way you described the incident makes it sound like maybe you tossed him a little more ass-whipping than was really necessary -- and ONLY because of the way you said it. Now I know lots of people will get their panties all wadded up about this question because of the notion that if someone swings at you, you should beat him until Jerry's kids feel sorry for him, but in real life it's not really that way. Was there anything like that discussed? Just trying to get my head around where defending yourself went the way it did.

Second, can you talk about your thoughts and mindset around taking the deal? I saw you said that the conviction rate was high, but from the description of the incident, it would seem to me, from the safety of my comfy office chair in Indiana, that I'd take my chances with my witnesses and a jury of my peers rather than plead guilty to a felony that would send me to jail for a year and prohibit owning a handgun, ever.

As I said, taken at face value, this seems like it could happen to any of us, and I'd like the opportunity to understand what happened to you, the choices you made, etc, and try to figure it out BEFORE it happens to me.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

tumblr_l1vqjemVnb1qby5oe.jpg

Top Bottom