Should a convicted felon ever get their gun rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a convicted felon be allowed to get their gun rights back?

• Total voters

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Without a complete change in our justice system I voted the third option. IF we could ever change our justice system so that violent offenders were given due punishment and/or never released I could vote definitely. Without that FAR too many violent felons commit violent crimes again.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I voted yes if a non violent felony.

Because thats me, Im trying to get my rights back right now.

I got a 2nd DUI in a span of 5 yrs in 1996. No accident no injury's
    got pulled over for speeding and blew .10 when the law was .10.

Never did it again. never arrested for anything since.

If you think someone like me shouldnt own a gun, well u can
    kiss my ass!!

Also 6 yrs active duty in the USAF 84 to 90, so Ive had some training.

Jimmy

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    You've got to question the intelligence and moral character of anyone that gets convicted of a felony in the first place. And if you have reason to question their intelligence and character, you have reason to question if they should be allowed have a firearm.

Intelligence? No.

Moral character? Depends on the felony.

Character is not set in stone.

Even so, if they can't be trusted on the street as a full citizen (self defense rights restored) then they shouldn't be trusted on the street period, as they will not be disbarred the possession of golf clubs, ball bats, butcher knives, tire irons, or cars.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you intentionally plan out and kill someone, can your debt ever be repaid?

Quite possibly. There have been convicted murderers that have turned their lives around. While it is pretty rare, it can happen. There are some that end up using their life stories to try to help others avoid the same things they done in life.

Are there some I'd say string em up and let it be a lesson to the next potential offenders? Yep.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    A "life sentence" in the USA, usually means they will get out at some point. I have to believe that a convicted murderer should not be able to purchase a gun.

For that matter, I don't think a convicted murderer should ever see the light of day again, after all their victims can't.

But if he does see the light of day....should he have a steak knife....bat...tire iron....car....pipe....wrench....pipe wrench :):...

Seriously...singling out guns dovetails quite nicely with the Brady Campaign's assertion that guns are not just tools but special implements of violence that must be restricted....

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    But if he does see the light of day....should he have a steak knife....bat...tire iron....car....pipe....wrench....pipe wrench :):...

Seriously...singling out guns dovetails quite nicely with the Brady Campaign's assertion that guns are not just tools but special implements of violence that must be restricted....
    QFT - This thread can be closed now :D

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    If they are released to rejoin Society, then they are obviously no longer a danger. Give 'em their Rights back...

Except people aren't put in or kept in prison because they are a danger to society. They are only put in prison after the damage has been done, and only kept there until the prescribed amount of time has elapsed. When their time is up, it matters not whether anyone believes them rehabilitated.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Except people aren't put in or kept in prison because they are a danger to society. They are only put in prison after the damage has been done, and only kept there until the prescribed amount of time has elapsed. When their time is up, it matters not whether anyone believes them rehabilitated.
    Then either execute them, or leave them in the Prison. If they are no longer in Prison, then give them ALL their Rights back...

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers

Way to keep the discussion on track. That's a very compelling argument.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Then either execute them, or leave them in the Prison. If they are no longer in Prison, then give them ALL their Rights back...

What part of sentencing don't you understand? If a judge hands down a sentence of 20-years for killing someone, barring bad behavior inside, they must be allowed to leave after their time is served. Who is to say who should have to stay in prison or be executed, after a jury of their peers and a judge have already made that determination?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Actually, it is. If someone is intent, right down to their bones, to harm or kill someone, you think the lack of a gun will stop them? Why don't you check into what's been going on in Australia? After the firearm ban, firearm violence itself went up over 300% in the state of Queensland. They also had a huge spike in assaults with edged weaponry. The response to this was to ban swords, except for those in an accredited fencing club or program, and even those citizens must store their epees at the club. After that, people started being beaten in a disproportionate number with cricket bats. Solution? More legislation. You can kill someone with a friggin' pencil if you're that deadset on it. You're only discussing/affecting the efficacy of the weapon with which the purported offender has access, you're doing nothing whatsoever to combat intent. Moreover, it is now more difficult to defend against any such purported offenders.

His point was in fact, right in line with the purpose of this thread.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What part of sentencing don't you understand? If a judge hands down a sentence of 20-years for killing someone, barring bad behavior inside, they must be allowed to leave after their time is served. Who is to say who should have to stay in prison or be executed, after a jury of their peers and a judge have already made that determination?
    OK, let me back up and slip into a Thought group you may get...

If they (the convicted) are NO longer serving the Sentence that a Jury of their Peers, and a Judge decreed that was to be served as Punishment for their Crimes. Then give them back their Rights.

What Part of RIGHTS don't you understand?!

Top Bottom