Should a convicted felon ever get their gun rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a convicted felon be allowed to get their gun rights back?

• Total voters

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Everything should come into play at time of release, if you shot your wife in cold blood no should go without saying however if your being released for dui or child support things like that yea why not ? Can I not defend myself cuz I made a mistake ? Dont think so imo. I almost got a felony for having a fight with my cousin it was dumb yea but how many people here hasn't fought a brother or cousin?

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    If it is a "life" sentence then they will die in prison.

Why should someone that made a mistake be unable to defend themselves and/or their families for the rest of their lives?

Uh, because they've already proven themselves to be a danger to others, even without firearms?

This is just another example of punishing a group that will actually follow the law, while failing to stop those that will not from getting a weapon.

Right. Convicted violent felons should be considered part of the group that will actually follow the law. :dunno: :scratch:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You've got to question the intelligence and moral character of anyone that gets convicted of a felony in the first place. And if you have reason to question their intelligence and character, you have reason to question if they should be allowed have a firearm.
    Are you sure about that? Maybe you should do a little research on how easy it is to be convicted of a felony. We have a member on INGO that took a plea deal to avoid going to prison, he was scared to death that he might lose his case at trial. I know at least 2 other people that did stupid crap when they were 17 and 19 and now lead normal lives just like most people we know.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Are you sure about that? Maybe you should do a little research on how easy it is to be convicted of a felony. We have a member on INGO that took a plea deal to avoid going to prison, he was scared to death that he might lose his case at trial. I know at least 2 other people that did stupid crap when they were 17 and 19 and now lead normal lives just like most people we know.
    Exactly. It's too easy to be labelled a felon in this day and age. They hand those charges out for everything. Just like our member here on INGO that has had his 2A rights ripped from him for defending himself from someone (and winning) and that person turns out to be a protected class, with special privileges. You can be a felon nowadays for what was once considered a misdemeanor.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I have a different view. Make all felonies 5 years to life then have the offender work to regain trust. And to make the left upset, if someone loses their gun rights then the lose all rights to include voting, holding a professional license (teacher, CPA, lawyer, doctor) or working for government.

The thing is that there should be a means to earn your trust from your fellow citizens. A process of redemption. Thus if you show that you can be trusted outside of supervision, which includes everything from prison to parole, for a number of years then there could be some form of redemption certificate. Plus it might be wise to make an offender to go through citizenship classes, like those immigrating to the US have to, then be sworn back in as a full citizen.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    7 people so far think convicted murderers should be able to purchase a gun after serving their "life" sentence?

I am just opening the door for debate, not arguments!

If it is a "life" sentence, doesn't it mean that a person will not be able to ever be out in free world again? What does this question, you are asking supposed to mean?

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Once a person serves their time, they have "paid their debt to society" and should get a clean slate. If they are not able to fit into society, to contribute and behave themselves, they should have either been put down in the first place or still be locked up, depending upon what their crime was and their current state.

Chalk up another definitely.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once a person serves their time, they have "paid their debt to society" and should get a clean slate. If they are not able to fit into society, to contribute and behave themselves, they should have either been put down in the first place or still be locked up, depending upon what their crime was and their current state.

Chalk up another definitely.

No one, other than those in the military, police or fire fighting, "pay their debt to society". A felon has lost the trust of his fellow men thus must be reduced in status (restricted citizenship). Some people will shape up quickly. Others never will. Thus a five year to life sentence for all felons with a means to regaining full citizenship.

There are those who show that they can not be trusted thus may never gain freedom as a full citizen but will be supervised for the rest of their life.

And there are those who will harm others. Mass murders, serial killers, those who kill in prison (especially killing guards). Those people need to be euthanized as it is the humane thing to do.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    No. You just can't trust them. I mean my god, they could have been filming police in the course of their duty or in the case of NY Penal Law 250.05 ( Class E Felony) EAVESDROPPING!!! Imagine it. They might have been hearing you speak! They ought to be drawn and quartered, tossed to the four winds and their heads placed on a pike for all to see with their ears painted bright red! Then of course there's 195.07 - obstructing governmental administration in the first degree. Because heavens knows, we wouldn't want the gears of government administration to grind to a halt for even a picosecond.

No sir, hang 'em fast and hang 'em high, before they do something serious like evade taxes or import some obscure species of protected Peruvian gamefish to make ceviche with.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't think Felons in New York should ever the Right to Carry back...

Matter of fact if one chooses to live in NY they should have all their Rights stripped...

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    True. Just being from, or even near NY makes a person a threat not just to life and liberty, but the universe itself. Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    True. Just being from, or even near NY makes a person a threat not just to life and liberty, but the universe itself. Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    I am cool with using the Nuclear Option on NY...

Are you talking about the State or the City?!
    Not that I really care either way... :popcorn:

Top Bottom