Should a convicted felon ever get their gun rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a convicted felon be allowed to get their gun rights back?

• Total voters

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Speeding yeah. But 5 over is not a felony. I always avoided the troubled kids. I never stole anything period! I have never been in a fight that wasn't self defense.

I can see that some probably should get a second chance. I do want to see a waiting period though. I am glad you have things going better for you! Keep up the good work and personal achievements!

i am not trying to find info for me. i have no felonies. My friend for 15 years had one. and it is very important to me because of him. and its for everyone else who had their rights removed for a mistake in their lives. your punishment should be over when your punishment is over. why keep punishing someone after years have gone by with a clean record.

Last edited:

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Speeding yeah. But 5 over is not a felony. I always avoided the troubled kids. I never stole anything period! I have never been in a fight that wasn't self defense.

I can see that some probably should get a second chance. I do want to see a waiting period though. I am glad you have things going better for you! Keep up the good work and personal achievements!

no 5 over is not a felony. it could be tomorrow. thats is how the justice system works now. just about anything can land you a felony.
    never stole anything. i find it hard to believe, but i will say congrats anyways. you have lived your life by the rules. but you have not said what happens when the rules change. they do alot in this game.
    what happens if all guns are outlawed? are you going to be first in line to turn them all in, just to avoid being labeled a felon?
    i commited my only felony when i was 10. my friend committed the exact same felony when he was 16. i got a slap on the wrist and was sent home with my father. he got a class c felony, 30 days in jail, and 8 years of probation. we both learned our lesson. i am looking at my springfield xd, and he cant even have a shotgun to hunt with. how is that justice? in the very least, how about we decide on a case by case basis. we have got to figure a way to make the system more fair.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All free men should be treated as such and not relegated to 2nd class citizen status

I've come to the conclusion the folks doing jail/prison time are second class citizens with respect to gun rights. But, when they have paid their debt then they have paid their debt. If the sentence is 10 years in prison, then after 10 years they have paid their debt and they should have all the rights a free man has.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Self-defense is as much opinion as anything. Self-defense can be turned around and become a crime. Then you too could be a felon.

I love the "I don't care because it doesn't affect me" attitude.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    to an extent, maybe. but an arguement could be made, if you cant trust them with a gun, why are they on the streets?
    if they are going to kill again, they are going to whether they get a gun legally or not.
    not trusted with a gun? then no cars, knives, blunt objects, or anything that can be used to harm. if this is the case, keep them in prison, or exicute them.

no 5 over is not a felony. it could be tomorrow. thats is how the justice system works now. just about anything can land you a felony.
    never stole anything. i find it hard to believe, but i will say congrats anyways. you have lived your life by the rules. but you have not said what happens when the rules change. they do alot in this game.
    what happens if all guns are outlawed? are you going to be first in line to turn them all in, just to avoid being labeled a felon?
    i commited my only felony when i was 10. my friend committed the exact same felony when he was 16. i got a slap on the wrist and was sent home with my father. he got a class c felony, 30 days in jail, and 8 years of probation. we both learned our lesson. i am looking at my springfield xd, and he cant even have a shotgun to hunt with. how is that justice? in the very least, how about we decide on a case by case basis. we have got to figure a way to make the system more fair.
    Well the justice system isn't getting any better. Such as killers being turned loose on the street, that's not right. However, you're right when it should be a case by case basis. I'm assuming your friend doesn't have the thousands upon thousands of dollars to get an attorney and try and get it fixed? By the way, that too is ridiculous. That's just a way to make money.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So if you commit a felony you should be free to buy a gun. Alright. I see your point of veiw. But now the guy is free to buy a gun to commit his second felony. I am seeing to many epic fails in this plan. I know there are those of you that have "learned your lesson"and "done your time" but there are as many that have not. JMHO

:popcorn:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So if you commit a felony you should be free to buy a gun. Alright. I see your point of veiw. But now the guy is free to buy a gun to commit his second felony. I am seeing to many epic fails in this plan. I know there are those of you that have "learned your lesson"and "done your time" but there are as many that have not. JMHO

That must be why recidivism among gun felons is so low...once they get out, they never get another gun :n00b:

The only difference such a change would make is that the "good guys" who "paid their debt" and "learned their lesson" wouldn't continue to be punished.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That must be why recidivism among gun felons is so low...once they get out, they never get another gun :n00b:

The only difference such a change would make is that the "good guys" who "paid their debt" and "learned their lesson" wouldn't continue to be punished.

I stand firm in my opinion. Holding someone accountable for there actions is the right thing to do. If the law changes then it changes. It still won't change my point of view.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I stand firm in my opinion. Holding someone accountable for there actions is the right thing to do. If the law changes then it changes. It still won't change my point of view.

If the law stays the same it stays the same; it won't make your support any more logical.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Well the justice system isn't getting any better. Such as killers being turned loose on the street, that's not right. However, you're right when it should be a case by case basis. I'm assuming your friend doesn't have the thousands upon thousands of dollars to get an attorney and try and get it fixed? By the way, that too is ridiculous. That's just a way to make money.

there is a funny / tragic part to te story i just found out. my friend spent every dime he had on an attorney. he was going to fight it when he was arrested.
    he was arrested a few weeks later. the judge looks at him and says, why did you miss your court date? my friend says, he had no idea he had one. the judge says well you did and you missed it, and o by the way, your lawyer died, you need a new one. now at this point my friend is broke. he has to take a public defender who tells him his only chance is to plea bargain. so he does. they give him a class c felony, and a misdameanor. all i could say after that was Wow.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

the problem with that theory is you seem to think a felon cant get a gun without permision. if he wants to commit a crime, he will get a gun by anymeans he can. and that is why i am willing to concede that former felons that commited violent chrime must go like 10 years clean, before they get a second chance. non violent should get all their rights immediately after their sentence is complete.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So basicly you are threating that we need to give them guns so they don't have to get them illegaly. Boy this make sence. Let's apply this logic to the Chicago. Hand them out to the boys. They will be good boys from now on.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    there is a funny / tragic part to te story i just found out. my friend spent every dime he had on an attorney. he was going to fight it when he was arrested.
    he was arrested a few weeks later. the judge looks at him and says, why did you miss your court date? my friend says, he had no idea he had one. the judge says well you did and you missed it, and o by the way, your lawyer died, you need a new one. now at this point my friend is broke. he has to take a public defender who tells him his only chance is to plea bargain. so he does. they give him a class c felony, and a misdameanor. all i could say after that was Wow.
    Wow what a crock of s**t. That's unbelievable that this could happen. Ill be honest, if he didnt commit a violent felony then I think he should be allowed to get a gun.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

What does their ability to legally buy a gun have to do with committing another crime? They are going to commit a crime or they are not, legally purchased gun or not. You might as well join the ban all guns team, since that obviously would mean that the criminal could not get a gun and then wouldn't commit any crimes.

They were held accountable. They served a sentence. That is being accountable.

This doesn't even take into account all of the people who are wrongly convicted every year, who are then denied a legal chance to be able to defend themselves. Because we know everyone convicted of a crime is guilty, right?

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    So basicly you are threating that we need to give them guns so they don't have to get them illegaly. Boy this make sence. Let's apply this logic to the Chicago. Hand them out to the boys. They will be good boys from now on.
    i am saying, giving them the option of applying for a ltch to legally purchase a firearm one day.
    once again. if a violent felon wants a gun, they will get one.
    just wondering, how often do people give you guns? i have never had anyone give me guns.
    and it seems like maybe giving the innocent people of chicago some guns, would stop alot of problems they are having.
    i am suggesting some hoops must be jumped through to get rights restored for a violent former felon. just not for a non violent one.
    its not fair to lump everyone in together under the term felon. and then deny them all the god given right to defend themselves and their loved ones.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    o and i assume you were trying to say threatening. i am not threatening anyone, or anything.
    What i want is to not have the phone call where my friend calls me up and ask me to come over with my gun, and hang out at his place because someone broke into his house, and he is scared of that person coming back for more stuff while he is home and unable to defend himself. yes, this did happen. I slept on my friend couch for 2 nights after he was robbed. Why? Because people like you say he has no right to self defense, and thats not right.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All free men should have the right to defend themselves, period. Once the debt is paid, as far as I'm concerned all men are equal and should be treated as such.

Yeah I got two posts in this thread, I need to pad my post count. A lot of people are way ahead of me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think the thought of loosing your rights keeps (At least me anyway) me on the straight and narrow.

What's legal today is a felony tomorrow. Remember that when thinking of topics like this.

How would you feel about losing all of your rights and becoming a felon because the government made firearms ownership a felony, with no grandfather clause?
    Short sightedness... Unless you mean you enjoy being on a political leash.

Top Bottom