Should a convicted felon ever get their gun rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a convicted felon be allowed to get their gun rights back?

• Total voters

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i am going to say yes after a seven year period so they can prove they are going to go straight
    Just reading some stories here in the forums and ran across a thread where a person was in the process of dropping their felony to a lesser charge. The end result is a convicted felon being able to purchase a gun again.

Do you think this is ok?

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The system makes it so hard on some of these people to get a job after they serve the time given. Like everything in life their are exceptions, but I have met some good people who made mistakes, served time and after released still pay everyday. If convicted of a crime that had nothing to do with violence then why would they be punished by not being allowed the rights of others ??

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    If they are deemed safe enough to be amongst the general public, then they should be deemed safe enough to protect themselves by use of the 2nd Amendment. If they can't be trusted to own a gun, then they shouldn't be out roaming the streets.

Grant11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Rockville
    Sometimes they should, sometimes they shouldn't I think. Obviously no for murderers. rapists, child molesters, and other seriously violent convictions. For non-violent offenses definitely. I have no problem with it even in the less violent offenses like D felony battery (not considered a serious violent offense under Indiana code) if the offender can prove over a period of time they are reformed and no longer a danger to anyone. Convictions for a lesser offense shouldn't be a life sentence. With the newly enacted HEA 1482 I think Indiana is really heading in the right direction with this, and I applaud their efforts to help those really trying to turn their lives around.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    There are a lot of got comments on this thread, but all of them seem to assume the legitimacy of the felony conviction.

Should Zimmerman lose his right to bear arms because some crooked DA bowed to political pressure and is railroading him into jail?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sometimes they should, sometimes they shouldn't I think. Obviously no for murderers. rapists, child molesters, and other seriously violent convictions. For non-violent offenses definitely. I have no problem with it even in the less violent offenses like D felony battery (not considered a serious violent offense under Indiana code) if the offender can prove over a period of time they are reformed and no longer a danger to anyone. Convictions for a lesser offense shouldn't be a life sentence. With the newly enacted HEA 1482 I think Indiana is really heading in the right direction with this, and I applaud their efforts to help those really trying to turn their lives around.

Do you have any idea how many "rapists" are 19 year olds that slept with their 17 year old girlfriends?

I just don't see how a person should lose his rights-- FOR LIFE-- given that 1) he is out of jail, ostensibly paid his debt and deemed safe to walk among us and 2) he may have been sent to jail be a zealous prosecutor out to make a name for himself ALA Giuliani, Spitzer, Cuomo, etc.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

But it is ok if they are free to murder, rape and molest again?

Grant11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Rockville
    Sorry Bunnykid, my original post was worded quite poorly. Those kinds of scum should never be able to regain their rights because they should never again see the light of day.

Grant11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Rockville
    Do you have any idea how many "rapists" are 19 year olds that slept with their 17 year old girlfriends?

I should have said forcibly raping someone against their will. In the situation you stated, it is absolutely not right that he should be labeled a rapist when the act was consensual by both people and no one was forced.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I should have said forcibly raping someone against their will. In the situation you stated, it is absolutely not right that he should be labeled a rapist when the act was consensual by both people and no one was forced.
    That's null and void in indiana if they're in a serious relationship. Romeo and Juliet act protects them. As long as its within 4 years of their age they're good.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have lead the good life! I had know issue getting a LTCH or buy a gun. I hold this over my kids head. Be a good kid and follow the law and you to can have guns and a LTCH. So I am not really excited about a free pass to those that don't play by the rules.

I am glad any misdeads in your life did not put you in this position. i have a few of my own. luckily like most, i did not get caught. but some do. and most do not deserve to be punished the rest of their lives for a mistake made early in life. just remember, you and i are one really crappy law away from being criminals ourselves.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am glad any misdeads in your life did not put you in this position. i have a few of my own. luckily like most, i did not get caught. but some do. and most do not deserve to be punished the rest of their lives for a mistake made early in life. just remember, you and i are one really crappy law away from being criminals ourselves.

I think the thought of loosing your rights keeps (At least me anyway) me on the straight and narrow.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I think the thought of loosing your rights keeps (At least me anyway) me on the straight and narrow.
    you mean now that you are old enough to know better. but what about when you were young? ever drive a car a little to fast? how about stick something in your pocket when nobody was looking? Hang out with a group of friends who werent so on the straight and narrow? you are judgeing people like liberals judge us. with on big paint brush, we are all the same. not every felon is a serial killer.
    and if they were a serial killer, can you explain to me how not letting them have a ltch is going to prevent them from going on another spree?

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I agree to a point. Like someone who commits fraud and gets caught shouldn't have their gun rights revoked. But a murder who gets out on parol? No way, it's clear that he/she has killed.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I agree to a point. Like someone who commits fraud and gets caught shouldn't have their gun rights revoked. But a murder who gets out on parol? No way, it's clear that he/she has killed.

to an extent, maybe. but an arguement could be made, if you cant trust them with a gun, why are they on the streets?
    if they are going to kill again, they are going to whether they get a gun legally or not.
    not trusted with a gun? then no cars, knives, blunt objects, or anything that can be used to harm. if this is the case, keep them in prison, or exicute them.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    you mean now that you are old enough to know better. but what about when you were young? ever drive a car a little to fast? how about stick something in your pocket when nobody was looking? Hang out with a group of friends who werent so on the straight and narrow? you are judgeing people like liberals judge us. with on big paint brush, we are all the same. not every felon is a serial killer.
    and if they were a serial killer, can you explain to me how not letting them have a ltch is going to prevent them from going on another spree?

Speeding yeah. But 5 over is not a felony. I always avoided the troubled kids. I never stole anything period! I have never been in a fight that wasn't self defense.

I can see that some probably should get a second chance. I do want to see a waiting period though. I am glad you have things going better for you! Keep up the good work and personal achievements!

Top Bottom