Should a convicted felon ever get their gun rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a convicted felon be allowed to get their gun rights back?

• Total voters

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Just reading some stories here in the forums and ran across a thread where a person was in the process of dropping their felony to a lesser charge. The end result is a convicted felon being able to purchase a gun again.

Do you think this is ok?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would have made the poll public. My vote was definitely. If they'd done their time and paid their debt to society, shouldn't they be a free man?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My Answer is definately. Now here is the reasons why I say that. If, and that is the largest two letter word in the english language, this person has served his time, and is released without restriction, he/she has been restored to society. They should be allowed to be Citizens, not a part of some subculture that it OK to discriminate against.

Now, to the IF again. IF this person is not deemed good enough to be a full citizen, THEY SHOULD NOT BE OUT OF PRISON.

This, I know, is not a popular view. It causes many people, even 'Freedom Loving Gun Owners' here on INGO to get uptight. But thats the way I view it.

The justice system of today does not work. Its about warm and fuzzies to make the sheep feel safe and the keep the prisoners pacified. It needs to go back to being a form of punishment. There are some criminals that I personally think should never see the light of day again.

So, thats my story and I'm stickin to it. :):

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    My Answer is definately. Now here is the reasons why I say that. If, and that is the largest two letter word in the english language, this person has served his time, and is released without restriction, he/she has been restored to society. They should be allowed to be Citizens, not a part of some subculture that it OK to discriminate against.

Now, to the IF again. IF this person is not deemed good enough to be a full citizen, THEY SHOULD NOT BE OUT OF PRISON.

This, I know, is not a popular view. It causes many people, even 'Freedom Loving Gun Owners' here on INGO to get uptight. But thats the way I view it.

The justice system of today does not work. Its about warm and fuzzies to make the sheep feel safe and the keep the prisoners pacified. It needs to go back to being a form of punishment. There are some criminals that I personally think should never see the light of day again.

Well said I second this!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Not to mention the way the laws are now restricting their gun ownership only makes them do more illegal things because if you feel your safety is threatened and that you need a gun you will do what it takes to protect yourself and others.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm in the "only if they were convicted of a non-violent offense" camp. I certainly see the logic in keeping guns out of the hands of violent felons. Paying your debt to society is just that, paying your accrued debt. There is little reason to believe a person is less prone to rack up more of that debt once they are released.

That said, I don't think blanket legislation works in most cases. There are exceptions to every rule. The nature of the conviction should most certainly be considered, when making the determination on their future gun rights.

I guess a more accurate answer for me would be, "It depends."

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    7 people so far think convicted murderers should be able to purchase a gun after serving their "life" sentence?

I am just opening the door for debate, not arguments!

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I'm in the "only if they were convicted of a non-violent offense" camp. I certainly see the logic in keeping guns out of the hands of violent felons. Paying your debt to society is just that, paying your accrued debt. There is little reason to believe a person is less prone to rack up more of that debt once they are released.

That said, I don't think blanket legislation works in most cases. There are exceptions to every rule. The nature of the conviction should most certainly be considered, when making the determination on their future gun rights.

I guess a more accurate answer for me would be, "It depends."

Agree.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    7 people so far think convicted murderers should be able to purchase a gun after serving their "life" sentence?

If it is a "life" sentence then they will die in prison.

Why should someone that made a mistake be unable to defend themselves and/or their families for the rest of their lives?

This is just another example of punishing a group that will actually follow the law, while failing to stop those that will not from getting a weapon.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You've got to question the intelligence and moral character of anyone that gets convicted of a felony in the first place. And if you have reason to question their intelligence and character, you have reason to question if they should be allowed have a firearm.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

That's not what I said.

Again, if that person is not deemed fit to be a full citizen, they have no business being out of prison. If a person is dangerous, a law is NOT going to stop them from doing what they will do.

"Gun laws, don't keep criminals from getting guns!", We see that stated to the Grabbers all the time. Do we REALLY believe it, or is it just saber rattling so that we can keep OUR guns, but still restrict those whom ae don't approve of ?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Sure. They should also be allowed to purchase cars, hammers and any number of other inanimate objects once they are released from incarceration.

Why shouldn't they be? Is there some reason to believe that these objects either caused them to commit past crimes or would cause them to commit future crimes? :dunno:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

There is the operative phrase.

I believe in Truth-In-Sentencing. X years sentenced means X years incarcerated. A life sentence means life imprisoned. Barring the commission of another crime, imprisoning someone imprisoned beyond their sentence has already been found unconstitutional.

It is what it is. I have no problem with disagreements.....unless the arguments are disingenuous.

Here in Greenwood, a man raped a woman after being release from prison.......5 days after being released from prison.....and after only serving 1/3 of his time.

But he was arrested and released for a sexual assault prior to that in Marion County. He didn't register as a sex offender and wasn't arrested for that either. His P.O. didn't have the authority to ask the court to incarcerate him. The CJ system doesn't only not work, but its incredibly broken.

As we all should.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    A "life sentence" in the USA, usually means they will get out at some point. I have to believe that a convicted murderer should not be able to purchase a gun.

For that matter, I don't think a convicted murderer should ever see the light of day again, after all their victims can't.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    That's not what I said.

Again, if that person is not deemed fit to be a full citizen, they have no business being out of prison. If a person is dangerous, a law is NOT going to stop them from doing what they will do.

"Gun laws, don't keep criminals from getting guns!", We see that stated to the Grabbers all the time. Do we REALLY believe it, or is it just saber rattling so that we can keep OUR guns, but still restrict those whom ae don't approve of ?

Agreed.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Nobody outside of a prison should have his gun rights extinguished.

That goes for voting rights as well.

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    As long as they have served their time and are considered free men.
    They should have the same rights as anybody else.
    Probation and parole doesn't make them free men. Even if they are no longer incarcerated.

Top Bottom