• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree, if there was a more visible leftist presence here to balance against the right-wing rhetoric, I would probably stick around, but it just doesn't seem to be the case. Not that I'm interested in finding an echo chamber.

The problem with that is that the anti-gunners don't fit in here at all...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not everyone, just people with nothing to say the moment they get any push-back on their opinions. Falling back to ad hominem attacks as soon as someone disagrees with your stance on an issue just doesn't do it for me.

When I see something worthy of response, I shall respond. I responded to PaulF.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This...

.. I am a 1 issue voter now and thats the second amendment. It protects and keeps all of the others. The supreme court is there to protect and defend the constitution from political attacks however we have seen liberal justices who do not believe in the literal interpretation of the 2nd amendment when it says "shall not be Infringed" and they call it a living document that is outdated. I will NEVER give the Democrats control of our courts or our bodies of government again by voting for a 3rd party (libertarians) that is POLITICALLY irrelevant and unable to compete. I agree with them on MANY things however at this time they do not have a shot and all a vote for them is doing is handing it to the Democrats.
    I do not agree with everything the Republicans want or stand for however, I believe that as long as they appoint moderates and conservative justices to the supreme court who make LITERAL interpritations of the constitution then I honestly believe the issues you and I hold most dear will be safe and even expanded...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think a bigger problem is when you hear leftist, you think Hillary Clinton, who is so far right to me she might as well be Trump's vice president.

KW4fkB4.gif

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It seems unlikely to me that any coherent moral philosophy can simultaneously hold that torturing an animal is unacceptable but killing a baby is.

The pro-abortion position isn't that killing babies is OK; it's that a fetus isn't a person. Nobody is denying that a fetus is alive. Nobody is denying that a fetus has distinct DNA from the woman. They are just saying that a fetus isn't a person and so doesn't deserve the rights of a person.

This makes me cry.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would call that a misreading of my position. I would say killing an unborn baby who is no threat is not any more justified inside or outside the womb. If you are willing to limit abortion to situations where the physical life of the mother is in jeopardy, I may disagree fundamentally, but I would be on board with that. In other words, killing a baby is neither self-defense, nor otherwise justified except, arguably, in extremely rare circumstances.

Yeah, it's an intractable argument based upon deeply rooted belief systems. I hope that we can have rational discussions, individually and as a society, rather than just screaming at each other. That is tiresome. I don't believe that people who disagree with me are evil people. We can disagree in some areas and still be friends.

Thank you for engaging.

To your highlighted point: who gets to define "threat" (also, "risk"), and who gets to set the threshold of acceptability for either? Shouldn't it be the person taking that risk? CAN it be any other person?

In other words...it is a fact that pregnancy kills women every day. There is a measurable amount of death caused by pregnancy, delivery, or the complications thereof. How is it anyone else's place to decide what level of risk is acceptable for the perceived reward? Only that person, herself, can make that decision...at least in my mind.

Top Bottom