Sen. Coats flipping on background checks! Wants to see the details - CONTACT HIM

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is what I sent to both senators, and posted on Donnelly's Facebook page:

Dear Senator ______,

The defense of the homeland includes defending my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my person, and my home. Without the right to own, carry, use, and transfer firearms, as guaranteed by the Second Amendment of our Constitution, I cannot defend the homeland.

Please OPPOSE Sen. Schumer's so-called “universal background check” legislation, along with every other anti-gun proposal -- including Sen. Feinstein's proposed ban on commonly owned firearms and magazines. The future of our Second Amendment rights are at stake.

The background check will not be effective at stopping criminals from obtaining firearms. Criminals will not apply for these checks. They will continue to obtain their guns illegally.

Only law-abiding people like myself will be harmed by these proposed laws. These laws will make it illegal for me to give my son or grandson a rifle as a gift or a revolver as a family heirloom. Why should I be made a criminal for giving my grandson a rifle that my grandfather gave to me?

Please vote against these illegal and unwise proposals.

Sincerely,

Dr. and Mrs. _____
    Fort Wayne, IN

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    This is what I have been emailing. Feel free to copy and edit as you wish.

As a voter who believes in the U.S. Constitution, I am writing to express my views on gun control legislation currently being discussed in every level of government. I care deeply about the Second Amendment, and I am closely monitoring legislation that would restrict my right to keep and bear arms.

It has come to my attention that you are considering recanting on your previous statements of upholding the 2nd Amendment and the People's Right to Keep and Bear arms. Voting for legislation that requires Universal Background Checks does not fit the definition of "upholding the 2nd Amendment and the People's Right to Keep and Bear arms". Passing such legislation is just a feel good measure and will do nothing to keep criminals from obtaining firearms.

You might recall that Indiana had such a requirement for handguns from 1974-1998 where every transaction had to be done through a licensed dealer. It ended up being repealed because it did nothing to curb violence and was not enforced (I can not find a single instance in all of the 92 counties). What good is having another law that is not enforced and has a history of being ineffective at curbing violence?

As a constituent, and a voter, I urge you to not pass any more gun or magazine laws; instead, work to enforce the thousands of gun laws already on the books and help step up prosecution of criminals who commit violence and misuse firearms.

If you recant on your previous statements, and vote for further gun control legislation, I will do everything in my abilities as a voter and Constitutional Rights Advocate to insure you are not elected for another term.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the reply I received from Joe Donnelly.

March 29, 2013

Dear Dr. and Mrs. Allen,

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut. It is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.

Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or a Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

If he stands his ground on this, we have a chance. Hope Coats stands, too, but I do not trust either one to do so.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    If he stands his ground on this, we have a chance. Hope Coats stands, too, but I do not trust either one to do so.
    Read it again:
    For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.
    Polispeak for: "I'm totally cool with Universal Background Checks and the accompanying Universal Gun Registration."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If he were truly a supporter of the Second Amendment (like he claims), then he wouldn't be on the fence waiting for other senators (and his constituents) to convince him to vote one way or the other. He would be out trying to kill this bill by convincing people to vote against it.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Translation: I don't really care if legislation might (will) result in registration. I am betting that the voters (sheeple) will believe what Piers Morgan is spouting on TV, and will be satisfied that I only assisted in the infringement of their rights a little bit. Then they will go back to watching dancing with the stars.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Sent my e-mail in also but took the time to write a copy by hand, not fun, like writing 50 sentences "I will not give up my 2nd amendment rights."

Top Bottom