Sen. Coats flipping on background checks! Wants to see the details - CONTACT HIM

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I contacted the IN GOP when the announcement was made that they were backing Dan Coats for the US Senate, despite the variety of new blood vying for the job. "WHY support a has-been, career politician over someone without a track record in Washington?" I asked them. I received no reply.

That's when I started mailing back their junk mail in their postage-paid envelopes.

The RINOs, even at the state level, already have their horses picked for the next election.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    here is the letter I sent courtesy of Nutnfancy;
    Dear Senator:

I strongly encourage you to oppose the so-called Universal Background Checks (UBC) for gun
    purchasers. On any level, this is a bad idea. I will not achieve its stated objectives and will bring into play
    many serious abuses against US Civil Liberties. In discussion of the UBC please consider the following:

1) We already have a universal background checking system in place: the NICS. All personal
    information is reported through NICS and approve by checking existing Federal Criminal databases. The
    vast majority of guns sold in this country are ran through NICS. The system, like all govt programs, functions
    poorly and has blocked 10000s of legitimate buyers of firearms; good people denied their rights. Moreover
    this system itself is an invasion of individual privacy and, contrary to federal law, the provided information has
    been integrated into illegal databases by the ATF. Meanwhile violent criminals do whatever they’ve always
    done: stealing or obtaining their guns through illegal sources. UBC will not affect criminals just as the current
    system generally does not.

2) The real intent of UBC is to track, control, limit, ration, outlaw many varieties of guns, and
    ultimately confiscate personally held firearms. Even if that’s not the intention of your Congress, those
    that follow you can easily change this. Private gun transfers should remain legal and untracked by any govt
    entity since doing so does not decrease crime. And yet proponents know UBC cannot work without creating a
    National Firearms Registry. They will demand national gun registration with attached felonies for noncompliance
    as they
    seek
    to
    identify,
    track,
    and
    eliminate
    personal
    firearms.
    With
    this
    system
    in place,

politicians
    can
    “call
    in”
    whatever
    guns,
    through
    current
    political
    expediency,
    are
    determined
    to
    be
    “evil.”
    In

this
    expanded
    UBC
    system
    criminals,
    of course,
    will
    be unaffected.

Bad
    guys
    can
    illegally
    manufacture

dangerous
    devices
    anytime
    they
    want
    irregardless
    of law.

3)

Many
    abuses
    of
    the
    UBC
    system
    will
    ensue.
    The
    creation
    of an
    all
    encompassing
    Federal
    Gun
    Owner

Database
    will be
    used
    to
    the
    destruction
    of
    liberty
    and
    privacy
    for
    all Americans.

Integration
    of
    contrived

medical
    disqualifiers
    will
    be
    abused
    (like
    treatment
    for
    depression
    after
    the
    loss of
    a
    family
    a decade

ago!),
    extra
    fees
    and
    taxes
    will
    be
    assessed,
    dissemination
    of gun
    owner
    data
    in public
    forums
    could
    occur

(leading
    to
    theft
    and
    murders),
    integration
    of national
    ID
    systems
    and
    political
    classifications
    could
    be

integrated…just
    to
    name
    a few.
    The
    government
    has
    no business
    tracking
    this
    information
    and
    it’s
    a
    clear

violation
    of
    the
    nd
    Amendment..

True assistance to gun violence can be accomplished in two simple ways 1) Strengthen American value
    systems instead of tearing them down. Support families and their instruction of their children. Not by liberal
    government educational systems but by families. This WILL reduce gun crime. Good children, taught be
    loving guardians, grow up to be good people, protecting life not destroying it. 2) Eliminate gun free zones
    with national legislation. Civilian gun ownership has to be allowed in all reasonable venues to eliminate
    these mass shootings: schools, shopping areas, churches, stadiums, etc. Immediate armed response by both
    LE and armed civilians stops these shootings, proven in recent history.

UBC will prove to be catastrophic for America. I truly appreciate your support in defending the Second
    Amendment and will continually reward you with my support and that of my audience in social media.
    Likewise if I find it lacking I will strive to make sure you are not re-elected and your political career is ruined.

Thank you for your consideration,

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    here is the letter I sent courtesy of Nutnfancy;
    Dear Senator:

I strongly encourage you to oppose the so-called Universal Background Checks (UBC) for gun
    purchasers. On any level, this is a bad idea. I will not achieve its stated objectives and will bring into play
    many serious abuses against US Civil Liberties. In discussion of the UBC please consider the following:

1) We already have a universal background checking system in place: the NICS. All personal
    information is reported through NICS and approve by checking existing Federal Criminal databases. The
    vast majority of guns sold in this country are ran through NICS. The system, like all govt programs, functions
    poorly and has blocked 10000s of legitimate buyers of firearms; good people denied their rights. Moreover
    this system itself is an invasion of individual privacy and, contrary to federal law, the provided information has
    been integrated into illegal databases by the ATF. Meanwhile violent criminals do whatever they’ve always
    done: stealing or obtaining their guns through illegal sources. UBC will not affect criminals just as the current
    system generally does not.

2) The real intent of UBC is to track, control, limit, ration, outlaw many varieties of guns, and
    ultimately confiscate personally held firearms. Even if that’s not the intention of your Congress, those
    that follow you can easily change this. Private gun transfers should remain legal and untracked by any govt
    entity since doing so does not decrease crime. And yet proponents know UBC cannot work without creating a
    National Firearms Registry. They will demand national gun registration with attached felonies for noncompliance
    as they seek to identify, track, and eliminate personal firearms. With this
    system in place, politicians can “call in” whatever guns, through current
    political expediency, are determined to be “evil.” In this expanded UBC
    system criminals, of course, will be unaffected. Bad guys can illegally
    manufacture dangerous devices anytime they want irregardless of law.

3) Many abuses of the UBC system will ensue. The creation of an all
    encompassing Federal Gun Owner Database will be used to the destruction
    of liberty and privacy for all Americans. Integration of contrived medical
    disqualifiers will be abused (like treatment for depression after the loss of a
    family member a decade ago!), extra fees and taxes will be assessed,
    dissemination of gun owner data in public forums could occur (leading to
    theft and murders), integration of national ID systems and political classifications could be integrated…just to name a few. The government
    has no business tracking this information and it’s a clear violation of the
    2nd Amendment..

True assistance to gun violence can be accomplished in two simple ways 1) Strengthen American value
    systems instead of tearing them down. Support families and their instruction of their children. Not by liberal
    government educational systems but by families. This WILL reduce gun crime. Good children, taught be
    loving guardians, grow up to be good people, protecting life not destroying it. 2) Eliminate gun free zones
    with national legislation. Civilian gun ownership has to be allowed in all reasonable venues to eliminate
    these mass shootings: schools, shopping areas, churches, stadiums, etc. Immediate armed response by both
    LE and armed civilians stops these shootings, proven in recent history.

UBC will prove to be catastrophic for America. I truly appreciate your support in defending the Second
    Amendment and will continually reward you with my support and that of my audience in social media.
    Likewise if I find it lacking I will strive to make sure you are not re-elected and your political career is ruined.

Thank you for your consideration,
    Great arguments, but I can't read in the vertical. I keep loosing my place.:D

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mine:

Senator, it is with great concern that I read that you are considering supporting expanded background checks for firearms purchases. I would like to strongly urge you not to support them, for the following reasons:

a) The 'gun show' loophole as it is referred to is really talking about private sales between individuals. As this most often does not involve inter-state commerce, but is rather intra-state commerce conducted at a local level, I feel it is beyond Federal Constitutional purview. Expanded background checks would also place limits on familial transfers via gifting or inheritance, as well as the gifting of firearms for family members.

b) Criminals don't buy their firearms using any legal process. They steal them or they buy them from other criminals. These laws would be ineffectual to those who are already breaking multiple laws and create an unnecessarily hindrance on law-abiding citizens.

c) Finally, any sort of widespread background check system will be registration if not in fact than in practice. Given the difficulties your fellow Republican Senator from Kentucky, Mr. Paul, faced in gaining assurance from this administration that it did not possess the right to use military drones against domestic civilian targets, I do not feel we can grant them the benefit of the doubt that records will not be retained in some form or fashion. Registration historically has always resulted in confiscation - most recently in California - with the requisite chilling of other civil rights such as free speech.

Senator, the 2nd Amendment protects every other Amendment. It must be protected. The People of Indiana are depending on you.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter,
    {jtscribe}

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    C,mon

I contacted the IN GOP when the announcement was made that they were backing Dan Coats for the US Senate, despite the variety of new blood vying for the job. "WHY support a has-been, career politician over someone without a track record in Washington?" I asked them. I received no reply..........................

Ya' gotta' play the game a little bit. Writing rude and insulting letters to politicians and political organizations will guarantee you exactly what you got. No response! All you will get is the chance to say "I asked them a question and they didn't answer". Nice going! You made the point that some gun owners really are the rubes the anti-gun crowd thinks we all are! :noway:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Friends,
    It is soo good to see so many of us who keep up the pressure on our representatives.

One note. An old addage states "An armed society is a polite society." Another states "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

My e-mailed,both senators

Seator,
    Thank you for voting with the people, the Constitution, and your oath to defend both against all enemies foreign and domestic in voting for Senator Inhofe's ammendment against the UN ATT. I do not believe that the US should be pouring billions into the UN an organization as anti-American as one can be.

Please vote against banning standard capacity magazines and UBC wihch will deminish my ability to defend my family amd will do absolutly nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
    Your Obed. Svt.
    bluefalcon

Sandwich psycology. Say something positive, request/negative, end on positive note. Mary Poppins's spoon ful of sugar.

Be polite positive and firm.

dantrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Steuben Co.
    Done!

Sent him and Donnelly another message regarding DHS building an arsenal, asking that they demand answers for the reason of such a large purchase.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Just sent both Senators ANOTHER note. Keep them coming. In the dark of the night they will only understand an unrelenting response from a group that will NOT forget.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    By the sound of the staff member I spoke with, particularly backing away from the business about hearing the details before making a decision, I would say that Coats is at least somewhat concerned about the possibility of joining Lugar. Now, we just have to make sure it stays that way.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Just called, they obviously had my name in the system.

Expressed my complete opposition to current gun legislation, and hopes that the Senator would continue to support law-abiding Hoosiers.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Here is the letter my son sent a couple of days ago to both Senator's Donnelly and Coats.

Dear Senator Donnelly,

I am 10 years old and a fourth grader at XXXXXXXX Elementery School in XXXXXX, Indiana. My dad and I spend a lot of time target shooting, he has taught me about gun safety. He taught me that I should always handle a gun as if it is loaded, never point a gun at anything or person unless I am willing to pull the trigger and always keep my finger off of the trigger until I am ready to fire the gun. My dad has also taught me that if I find a gun laying around not to touch it and to get an adult. I also like to go camping and fishing and I am a boy scout.

I went to a Second Amendment Rally with my dad in January at our statehouse in Indianapolis. He wanted me to see how we use of the first Amendment to support and protect the second amendment. At the rally I got a little book of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, I sat down and read the second amendment over and over again and memorized it. I told it to my dad and he smiled, I was proud of myself and he was proud of me to. My dad asked me what it meant and I didn't know so he told me to find out. This is what I learned.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed”.

"A well regulated Militia"
    mi·li·tia - noun

1. a body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies.

2. a body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers.

3. all able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.

4. a body of citizens organized in a paramilitary group and typically regarding themselves as defenders of individual rights against the presumed interference of the federal government.

Note that in all the definitions it specifically refers to Citizens, civilians, and NOT professional military or soldiers. This means every person of adult age is a a “citizen solder” and has the duty to defend our country.

"...being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Being required in order to maintain freedom for the all citizens of a State or defined land area and to insure freedom in their person, place, and things from any and all that would attempt to take that freedom.

"...the right of the people..."

That says the RIGHT of the people. The citizens of that State (which includes the individual sovereignties known as the United States). It does NOT say the "privilege" or "permission", or "allowance or needs of someone thinks they should allow it", but the RIGHT.

"...to keep..."

keep - verb
    1. to hold or retain in one's possession.
    2. to hold or have the use of for a period of time.

"...and bear..."

There are some 30 definitions, so dad made me limit it to those appropriate to the 2nd Amendment.

7. to hold or carry (oneself, one's body, one's head, etc.).
    12. to carry; bring.

By either definition (or any other), to 'bear' means to possess and carry. Meaning to take it along and carry it as one moves from place to place.

"...Arms..."

arm - noun
    1. Usually, arms. weapons, especially firearms.

"...shall not be infringed..."

infringe - verb (used with object)
    1. to commit a breach or infraction of, violate or transgress.
    verb (used without object)
    2. to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon).

BOTH of those definitions are relevant.

By definition the second amendment reads:

All able-bodied people considered by law eligible for military service, being required in order to maintain freedom for all citizens of a State or defined land area and to insure freedom in their person, place, and things from any and all that would attempt to take that freedom, the right of the people to hold and retain in one's possession of weapons shall not be encroached or trespassed upon.

People say that the Second Amendment has nothing to do with the guns we have today because Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson and all the rest of the signers only knew about muskets and cannons, but they also did not know anything about computers or the internet. So does that apply to the First Amendment to? I am 10 years old and I have been learning about the Constitution. My dad has helped me understand the meaning of the Second Amendment. I don’t understand why Congress or the President does not understand it because a lot of people have died defending it.

Sincerely,

Top Bottom