Sen. Coats flipping on background checks! Wants to see the details - CONTACT HIM

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditchmag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Here is his number: 202-224-5623
    I will be calling in the morning to remind him why this is wrong. He needs to hear from us guys.

McCain emerges as key senator in expanding background checks - The Hill

Sen. Dan Coats (R-Ind.) is seen as another Republican who might support a bipartisan proposal to expand background checks. Coats has a "C-plus" NRA rating, which makes him an attractive target. But Coats on Friday denied that he has been approached by colleagues to back the Schumer-Manchin-Kirk proposal.
    “I don’t know if I’m the shopping list or not. No one has approached me,” said Coats.
    Coats said he wants to see the details of legislation on background checks before making a decision. He said he would oppose Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) proposal to ban military-style semi-automatic weapons.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i'm unsure why this is new. coats is a career politician. when Rand Paul was making his stand, where was Coats? at dinner with obama. along with graham, mccain, and a half dozen others(look it up)
    the very next day did Graham and McCain BLAST Paul on his stance, Vote out Coats. he's a collaborator.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I wonder if we would replace "universal background check" with "outlawing private gun sales" just how many politicians or citizens would be willing to support expanding the background check program.

ditchmag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    i'm unsure why this is new. coats is a career politician. when Rand Paul was making his stand, where was Coats? at dinner with obama. along with graham, mccain, and a half dozen others(look it up)
    the very next day did Graham and McCain BLAST Paul on his stance, Vote out Coats. he's a collaborator.

I agree, but we still have to call him out on this while he is in power. He has been sending out letters in response to our concerns assuring use he will defend the 2A, but is turning around and I am sure not expecting anyone to make a fuss. He is trying to appease us pro 2A people with his comforting letters, and appeasing the anti-2A by joining McCain and the others.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    been saying it all along that this is where they were going to fold

Everyone keeps yelling "shall not be infringed", but we are way beyond that already

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    been saying it all along that this is where they were going to fold

Everyone keeps yelling "shall not be infringed", but we are way beyond that already

I'll yell, but I feel my pleas will fall upon deaf ears, just like every other time I've voiced it. Hope for the best yet Expect an automated response whether it's email or in talking to him. So sad we've let these people get far beyond our grip... and been set underneath twisted dialect and bipartisan tongues. :xmad:

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    This is what I just sent.

Dear senator Coats,
    The majority of your constituents do not support any further regulation or infringement of our 2nd amendment rights. Any vote for gun control legislation will be seen as a betrayal of your oath of office. This will result in you being voted out of office. As someone who has voted for you I will vote against you if you cannot defend and uphold the constitution.
    Universal background checks for every gun sale is unconscionable. I should not have to run to the government to buy, sell or gift a firearm. This is only the first step in creating a defacto registry of gun owners. Gun owners are well aware of what happens next as is evidenced by Germany, China, England , Australia and other countrys that created a list of gun ownership. Criminals will not be affected by any new regulation or law that is passed. This government cannot adequately stem the illegal drug trade coming largely thru our southern boarder. What makes any reasonable person think that criminals will not be able and willing to get their guns in the same manner.
    Senator Coats, no more regulation on our right to keep and bear arms will be tolerated by law abiding gun owning citizens. We are watching. We will stand together. We will remember and we will vote together.
    Thank you for your service to your Country and The State of Indiana.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    His staff states that he will not vote for this unless the NRA comes out in favor of bill for it.

Does anyone see any movement with the NRA on this?

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Dear Sir,
    Once again, shall not be infringed means just that. I've got an Indiana license to carry which ought to be enough harassment. More background checks are simply adding more harassment of a law abiding citizen.
    Background checks DO NOTHING to stop a criminal. They simply steal the weapons! Deal with mental health, keep violent criminals in jail, but leave the law abiding citizen (me) alone and stop playing with our rights.

Again, we continue to monitor who is doing what and will make it our goal to see that those who do work to infringe, even in the name of some purposeless, spineless, compromise, will not be re-elected.

Respectfully

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    His staff states that he will not vote for this unless the NRA comes out in favor of bill for it.

Does anyone see any movement with the NRA on this?

Does he represent the us or the NRA? Frankly, I don't care in the least what the NRA has to say about it.

Top Bottom