• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    They arent necessarily "secret" serial numbers but there are several methods that some manufacturers use that arent as simple as a number. They use different patterns on the inside of the slide that look like random little light drill marks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe we'll get lucky and one of the lawyers will opine on whether the police officer would be breaking the law to do that.

I think we already had threads about that and it was ruled that the LEO would need a warrant to remove the tape and look at the SN.
    Im just saying if the LEO goes to his patrol car, with your gun, you have no idea if he ran the serial number, wrote it down or whatever.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Personally, I foresee no such circumstance arising for me, at least not in an official capacity. But since they say in my business that locks keep men honest, so would I like to help keep a police officer from doing the wrong thing were I to encounter such a situation.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ok, that jives with other gun culture rumors, confusing proposals with reality. There's a lot of magical thinking/wish fulfillment among us. E.g. Obama makes a proposal to expand mental health information in NICS and the Internet freaks out about the police "taking guns."

When I was working at Galyan's in 1989 I remember I co-worker babbling on about how semi-auto rifles were "highly illegal" now and Galyan's had to stop selling them or he would call ATF as "Congress banned them". He was actually misreporting a proposal by Metzenbaum. He wouldn't shut up, "dem gunz are banned". I told him to go up on the roof with a pair of field glasses and give us an early warning for the raid teams.

Now I know why Galyan's went under. You were posting on INGO instead of working.

Top Bottom