• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Agree with the libertarian segment, government has no business legislating our personal behavior as long as we don't endanger others. This goes for seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, cell phones and concealled carry (open carry too). I chose to were a helmet when I rode bikes because I beleved it was safer, not because some law told me to. Same for cell phones, I too hate the distracted drivers and the loud conversations in public places but this is a manners issue not a legal one. We must support others rights in hopes that they will support ours.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Ride a motorcycle and you'll appreciate any cell-phone regulation that may come down the pike. Many people can barely drive competently without the added distraction of yacking on a phone added in. :rolleyesedit:

As for the seatbelts... I think it should be a choice, as not wearing your belt doesn't endanger me. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And for those who call the folks who want government to mind it's own d@mn business and get the hell out of our lives "anarchists", you're wrong. I think it's fair to say we don't mind government doing what it's supposed to do, like punishing those who commit crimes that harm others, those who commit fraud (hurting others financially through deceit), etc. To repeat a really cool word for it, I think it's fair to call us "minarchists".

For those interested, check out Big Head Press - Thoughtful Stories, Graphic Novels Online And In Print - The Probability Broach: The Graphic Novel, by L. Neil Smith and Scott Bieser
    This was written probably close to 30 years ago, and considering the world then vs. the world now, is quite prophetic.

Enjoy!
    Blessings,
    B

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seatbelt laws are BS. A large amount of our tax $ are waisted on this ridiculous law that we never voted on. The local cops used to live for the OT hours paid by our federal tax money during the operation pullover events. That being said, I've worn my seatbelt long before it was the law. I would agree with the law for younger drivers, but only to a certain age.

When my phone rings, I want to be able to answer it without breaking the law. I think rigging up your headset, when not done in advance, is more of a distraction. I consider myself very conscious of the driving conditions I'm in and how I'm affecting other drivers. I frequently do not take calls or pull over accordingly. Unless I'm rolling down the highway (in the slow lane,) my conversations are always short.
    There are more and more people out there that think they can't drive without a cell phone stuck to their head. Add to that, a large amount of inexperienced drivers doing the same as they have seen and it gets to be a serious problem.
    It makes my blood boil when I see someone get in their car, put the phone to heir head and start backing out of a parking space. The same goes for those creeping along the highway in the left hand lane with no regard for cars wanting around them. They nearly always have a cell phone stuck to their head.

We should get rid of the seat belt law (for those over say 21?) There should be no cell phone laws. Both of these situations could be solved with cooperation between the private sector and government. The insurance companies should be allowed to have dual range deductibles. If it is determined you were in an accident without your seatbelt or on the phone, your deductible would be increased by 5 times.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    Seat belt law is not about protecting you or yor fellow man its about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ every time we give in a little they take more and more. Its my right to or not to wear one I dont need BIG BROTHER telling me or pulling me over for a easy 25$

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You are all right. The government is regulating too much that they don't have any rights too. Russia anyone? I have 15 selt-belt violations, the two most recent in the last two weeks. While it is only 25 dollars, it's still BS. They have NO RIGHT.

Cell phones... No they shouldn't make laws, but it should be ok for me to cut the guy off that can't drive for **** with a cell phone glued to his/her face, pull him out, smash his/her phone and drive away! LOL No but in all seriousness, just like teens can't drive with other teens right until a certain time, the same should go with cell phones. My truck is REALLY loud. I took off out of our subdivision next to a girl who couldn't have been 16. I hit the gas, BRRRRRM CRACKLECRACKLECRACKLE....BOOM, and off into the ditch in front of the police station she went. I stopped, she was ok, besides the crying and whatnot... AND STILL ON THE PHONE. How do you take down these cell towers again??? LOL

Smoking in the vehicle with kids under 13... Ok I see their point... kinda. Look at the commercial... Lady buckles her kids in, rolls up the windows, LOCKS THE DOORS... ewwww scary, and lights up. Who rolls around smoking with their WINDOWS UP? Potheads, yea ok. But not real smokers. so if the smoke is being sucked out the windows and maybe 1% of the smoke is going in the back, is it really hurting anyone? Maybe we should all walk around with gas masks since the air we breathe is more polluted than cigarette smoke...

WAKE UP PEOPLE! LOL

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea that's another thing, make everyone have to retake their driving test every 5 years! LOL

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Don't agree with the law, but then again I wear my seat belt all the time. Three totaled car accidents in 13 months, rolling 1/2 and 2.5 times in two of them made a believer out of me! I was not wearing a belt in any of them and was ok, but the last one especially would have been a LOT better if I had been. None my fault, and the first two I could have used a seat belt but no biggie. The last one I was a passenger in the 2.5 time rollover and that sucked badly. A passenger has nothing to hang on to, so you tend to not stop until something, or many somethings, stops you. And it hurts. :):

Cell phones should be hands free at least if not banned. I need my phone at times driving, and though the bluetooth headsets look ghey, I do think you are safer using one. I can't keep one more than two days before I loose it though so I gave up after three.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Don't agree with the law, but then again I wear my seat belt all the time. Three totaled car accidents in 13 months, rolling 1/2 and 2.5 times in two of them made a believer out of me!

Oh I wear my seatbelt, but not running down to the grocery store or anywhere I have to go over 40mph. I'll hit a pole or sideswipe another car or kick it sideways before I get head on. anything over 40 your should really wear your seatbelt. They won't help you in a T-bone trust me, I know. Got T-boned by an 83yo lady who was doing 65 and hit the gas because she thought Red meant PUNCH IT! Poor lady had a heart attack and kept going down the road while we spun 3 times... My not wearing my seatbelt saved me from being strangled...

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It would be tough to try to legislate "distraction laws", but if you're gonna drive, then drive...... if you're gonna think, think about your driving. After being on an ambulance crew for over 15 years, I'll tell you.....

yer baby in the back seat crying ain't worth it
    yer radio station ain't worth it
    yer make-up ain't worth it
    yer boss being a jerk ain't worth it

most of all.... yer damn cell phone most assuredly ain't worth it........

"it" being dead, maimed, or the cause of someone else being dead or maimed.

Last edited:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I can certainly agree with all of the comments. I believe that there is unanimous support for the repeal of the seatbelt law. Even though we almost all wear our seatbelts.
    Next step? Write your congressman. I don’t see this legislation going away but maybe we can stop further infringements on our personal rights. We all need to become more proactive. We have become complacent and we need to rise up and let our congressmen and representatives know our wishes.
    I personally have joined NWYC (National Write Your Congressman). Alone, I will not change anything… but with numbers comes change.
    :cheers:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    My job requires that sometimes I have to flag traffic and I am here to tell you 75% of the times that Ive almost been hit or had someone blow through my big red stop sighn they were talking on the cell phone ! So yea Im all for the no cell phone while driving ! Its my butt out there on the line and I want to give myself the best chance to get home to my wife and kids ! Seatbelts should be opitional its your life on the line noone elses.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    My job requires that sometimes I have to flag traffic and I am here to tell you 75% of the times that Ive almost been hit or had someone blow through my big red stop sighn they were talking on the cell phone ! So yea Im all for the no cell phone while driving ! Its my butt out there on the line and I want to give myself the best chance to get home to my wife and kids ! Seatbelts should be opitional its your life on the line noone elses.
    This is how it starts you say no cell phones then no drinking your coffee or eating or ajusting your stereo. A few bad eggs and everybody gets punished! Punish the people talking on the phones weaving on the roads not everybody!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's simple really. Do away with 'victim-less crimes'.

Seatbelt laws, cell phone laws... all are akin to gun bans. Banning something because someone MIGHT have an accident with it or do something illegal.

Nanny state and big brother to the max.

Some good insight into the madness:
    In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
    Tacitus

The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.
    Tacitus

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pro, just curious, but can either of those quotes from Tacitus be backed up with objective criteria or do they simply sound good? I followed your link but it didn't attribute the quote to any data, or anything else. I know he was the Roman historian who was a contemporary of Jesus, but is there any basis to the quote?

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    This is how it starts you say no cell phones then no drinking your coffee or eating or ajusting your stereo. A few bad eggs and everybody gets punished! Punish the people talking on the phones weaving on the roads not everybody!
    Just going off of my personal observation because in the end its my ass out there :thumbsup:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    It's simple really. Do away with 'victim-less crimes'.

Seatbelt laws, cell phone laws... all are akin to gun bans. Banning something because someone MIGHT have an accident with it or do something illegal.

Nanny state and big brother to the max.

Some good insight into the madness:
    So does drinking and driving fall into this as well ?:cheers:

Top Bottom