SCOTUS to hear Loper Bright Enterprises!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The United States Supreme Court agreed to hear the case involving New Jersey herring fishermen involving an administrative rule that could overturn judicial deference to agencies in Chevron for good.

The impact this will have on ATFE's rule of the day decisions shall be glorious. I shall dance in the moonlight to the funeral pyre of Chevron.

Having worked for a State agency and having seen how rules/regs are devised and how agencies apply them, it's about time the courts cracked down on administrative agencies...

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Reserve your Law Office of Kirk Freeman pen today!

What about the phones?
    When/if Chevron is overturned the Law Office of Kirk Freeman shall be giving away pens and phones.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a question on whether this is wholly wrong or wrong by overreach. It seems to me that when congress passes a law they cannot define nor foresee every little nuance that can exist, so the upholder(s) of that law must be able to fill in the gaps within reason.

Are we saying then that the upholder of a law cannot interpret any nuance, or only along certain lines?

I can see where the government can compel a company to allow oversight, but not compel them to pay for it. The payment, in my opinion, is severe overreach, but the simple allowance of an extra observer is not. How is my thinking either in error or on track?

Regards,

Doug

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I have a question on whether this is wholly wrong or wrong by overreach. It seems to me that when congress passes a law they cannot define nor foresee every little nuance that can exist, so the upholder(s) of that law must be able to fill in the gaps within reason.

Are we saying then that the upholder of a law cannot interpret any nuance, or only along certain lines?

I can see where the government can compel a company to allow oversight, but not compel them to pay for it. The payment, in my opinion, is severe overreach, but the simple allowance of an extra observer is not. How is my thinking either in error or on track?

Regards,

Doug
    How did the Founders deal with the question of regulations? :dunno: I would start there.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    How did the Founders deal with the question of regulations? :dunno: I would start there.

Seeing as how the Founders didn't have any agencies that even could overreach please let me where to begin research?

The first department that even could overreach was the Department of Interior, founded in 1849.

Regards,

Doug

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Seeing as how the Founders didn't have any agencies that even could overreach please let me where to begin research?

The first department that even could overreach was the Department of Interior, founded in 1849.

Regards,

Doug
    To me, that is part of the point.

Proper application of the 10th Amendment and the Preamble to the Bill of Rights should prevent most of the current Federal Government from even existing. There is no need to "interpret" Congress intent if the unconstitutional parts of the Federal Government don't exist.

For what does exist, the limits of an government entity should always stop at what Congress specifically authorized. Generalizations cannot be permitted since the Peoples Representatives did not give their direction upon the matter.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Regards,

Doug
    Let’s begin with Article I, Section 8, shall we? Were the individual members of Congress going to get out there and build roads, post offices, etc? Maintain a Navy? Coin money? I could go on. Any number of administrative functions implicit in the duties of Congress.
    Prior to 1849.
    My point being that even in 1791 it took organization to administer even the limited powers in the Constitution. But they did it. So how did we end up with essentially the Fourth branch of government, ie the Administrative Branch? Which appears in many respects to be a coequal of the other three?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This is the "Loper Bright" Decision we've been waiting for!

This puts significant limitations on Executive Agency Rulemaking which has been freewheeling -- reinforcing Agencies must make rules that have authority based on Constitution and/or Congressional Acts -- that they cannot do what they damned well please with the courts deferring to them and their interpretation.

Quoted from a portion of the the Syllabus . . .

"Chevron has proved to be fundamentally misguided. It reshaped judicial review of agency action without grappling with the APA, the statute that lays out how such review works. And its flaws were apparent from the start, prompting the Court to revise its foundations and continually limit its application.
    Experience has also shown that Chevron is unworkable. The defining feature of its framework is the identification of statutory ambiguity, but the concept of ambiguity has always evaded meaningful definition. Such an impressionistic and malleable concept “cannot stand as an every-day test for allocating” interpretive authority between courts and agencies."

The rest of syllabus puts countless hammer blows onto the wood stake SCOTUS put into the heart of the Chevron vampire. This will have massive effect on many 2A related lawsuits dealing with BATFE Rulemaking! I suggest reading the Decision Syllabus at the beginning.

Decision can be read here:
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/23pdf/22-451_7m58.pdf

6-3 Decision was split into the Usual Suspects with Sotomayor, Kagan, and KB Jackson dissenting.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Top Bottom