School request children throw can goods at shooters?????????????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Yeah, about that. My son has a day every so often when the lunch is trix yogurt, string cheese, goldfish crackers and mixed veggies. Thanks Michelle! :patriot:

Our school has breadsticks as a meal...

When I skimmed through the article I thought for sure it was a hoax... maybe a way to increase a can drive or some such.

Tell me it is all fun and games and NOT the real deal.... please.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, my wife was convinced it was a hoax, so I found a local news station that had run the story on their nightly news. So unless someone scammed the news station ("sum ting wong" ring any bells?) then this is real, unfortunately.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I'm going to shy away from the pack on this one. I am assuming this is aimed at a classroom setting, like a can in every desk or something, and not carrying them around with them. I don't think there is a perfect answer to an active school shooter, not even armed teachers is a fool proof deal. As stupid as the can thing sounds, in a case where a shooter is coming through the door of a classroom full of students thirty 8oz metal cans flying at you at once may just buy that extra second or two between shots to save a few lives. It is obviously a last resort sort of deal, but I don't find it deserving of ridicule.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I know what you're saying, but I'm still going to ridicule them. These are the same people that are scared of pop-tarts chewed in the shape of a gun. The most logical counter to an active shooter is sooooo scary, we can't imagine possessing, much less using one, but a soup can is an acceptable solution? :ugh:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What is an acceptable solution then? Teachers and students aren't allowed to have any sort of weapon on school grounds. What solution would you give them to defend themselves?

Let's give them some credit for having the proper mindset now.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I'm going to shy away from the pack on this one. I am assuming this is aimed at a classroom setting, like a can in every desk or something, and not carrying them around with them. I don't think there is a perfect answer to an active school shooter, not even armed teachers is a fool proof deal. As stupid as the can thing sounds, in a case where a shooter is coming through the door of a classroom full of students thirty 8oz metal cans flying at you at once may just buy that extra second or two between shots to save a few lives. It is obviously a last resort sort of deal, but I don't find it deserving of ridicule.

"You don't need 30 cans to thwart an attack!" So we are going to implement common sense restrictions, and only allow 7 cans per classroom.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    WHAT IF ONE GOES OFF BY ACCIDENT????

th

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    What is an acceptable solution then? Teachers and students aren't allowed to have any sort of weapon on school grounds. What solution would you give them to defend themselves?

Eliminate GFZ's to begin with! They obviously don't work!

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    They must think a real active shooter situation looks like the movie "Home Alone".

I guess throwing cans is better than nothing, but gimme a break. The people making the decisions need to be placed in a realistic active shooter training scenario if for nothing more than to prove how idiotic their "solutions" really are.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Throwing cans is better than throwing erasers...
    Isn't your wife a teacher? Have her throw a can of beans at you while you shoot paint balls at her.

Then try it with erasers. I am guessing the results will be very, very similar. One paint-covered wife, a dented can of beans, and LoveMachine sleeping on the sofa for a while.

In my own, non-professional opinion, there are good ideas and bad ideas. Cans of food are simply bad ideas. They may be better than OTHER bad ideas, but that doesn't make it a GOOD idea.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I think most, if not all, of us on Ingo think teachers should be armed in some way. However, teachers having a gun doesn't mean that nothing bad can never happen, just like me carrying my firearm doesn't make me invincible. IMO any steps taken, even can throwing by students, that could potentially impede an attacker could have positive results. Better than sitting there doing nothing, and you can't give an eight year old a handgun.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

The proper mindset?

Dear Parents,

This letter serves as notice that the school board has adopted a new policy to encourage teachers who choose to do so, to undergo firearms instruction, obtain a state concealed-carry permit, and to carry a concealed firearm on school grounds. The school board takes the safety and security of our students - your sons and daughters - very seriously, and while school shootings remain thankfully rare, the only way to deter spree shooters from targeting our schools and to defend our students in the unfortunate circumstance of a shooter entering one of our schools is for willing school teachers and staff to provide armed resistance and protection of our precious children.

As an added measure of safety, the school board believes that it is imperative that our students receive proper instruction regarding firearms. Therefore, you will find accompanied with this letter, a copy of the Eddie Eagle program, produced by the National Rifle Association. We encourage you to go over this information with your children.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yep, wife teaches 3rd grade. And her school district has gone thru the ALICE training thru the local sheriffs department. The officers all told the teachers, and students, to throw items at the active shooter. They also taught the teachers how to "tackle" someone.

In my book, a class of 25 students throwing canned goods at a bad guy is a good thing. It's. A lot better than hiding in a corner waiting to die.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom