School request children throw can goods at shooters?????????????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Better than sitting there waiting to die. Doing SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.
    No necessarily. Encouraging children to put themselves into harms way with little to no chance of survival isn't really "better" in my book.

There are myriad other options the school could be pursuing that WOULD be better than nothing. But, they chose this instead.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    The tag line for this thread is "School request children throw..." and my first was feces. I'm not sure which is the bigger deterrent

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    No necessarily. Encouraging children to put themselves into harms way with little to no chance of survival isn't really "better" in my book.

There are myriad other options the school could be pursuing that WOULD be better than nothing. But, they chose this instead.
    The new Sandy Hook lawsuit against the school could be very interesting, especially with the potential impact on school budgets.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Better than sitting there waiting to die. Doing SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.

While I don't disagree with that I do have questions.

Will the children received adequate can training?

Are these attached in "holsters" at each desk for immediate access?

Will they be dispersed as the intruder is identified?

Will the children be trained in "fields of fire" concerns?

Will they designate and train "can snipers" if they is a hostage taken?

Will the children be terrified when walking in the halls away from their cans or will there be emergency cans under glass in the hallways?

These and many other questions MUST be answered!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I think a lot of attention needs to be placed on the ergonomics of this. Some children might have trouble grasping a large pork & beans can where a smaller tomato paste can might be better suited to them. You also have the can volume vs. mass considerations. A can of SPAM carries a lot more punch than a can of peas due to the denser product. What about reloading? Could six-packs be used more effectively since you have six cans to throw vs. a single.

What if the perps get wind of this scheme and decide to wear protective gear? All the pelting in the world is not going to stop a very determined bad guy!

What about product liability concerns? Would Libby's be liable for incorrect use of their products here? (Any lawyers please chime on with your thoughts!)

It's darned clear that this entire scheme has not been properly thought out.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And for the cost of all of those canned goods, the school could pay for locks on the doors (that lock from the inside), and rope ladders for second-story (and higher) classrooms.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yep. I always told my kids, if you hear shooting and its not in the class you are in, bust the window out and get out of the school
    That's what I've always been told to do, and I don't see why it isn't just standard policy. Oh, "but what if they shoot you when you try to leave the building!" Well, they're going to try and shoot me when I'm in it anyways, so I'll take my chances.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I wonder if this is someone's dummed down version of A.L.I.C.E. training......Anyone heard of that? In part they advocate confrontation if FTF with the gunman. Yelling, throwing WHATEVER you can to hurt him. They suggest schoolbooks, chairs, staplers, etc. They also suggest EXITING if you can. I am not an expert but I believe ALICE is Alert Locate Inform Confront Escape.
    That made sense to me. The crap linked in the OP is stupid advice for a few reasons one of which being practicality.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Well, I should have qualified my answer. I should have said that once they are either cornered or left with no other option, fighting back is better than curling up in a ball while they shoot you to death.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Better hope the school gets attacked in the morning. They're going to need those canned goods to supplement the nutritional content of the Michelle Obama-approved school lunch.

Yeah, about that. My son has a day every so often when the lunch is trix yogurt, string cheese, goldfish crackers and mixed veggies. Thanks Michelle! :patriot:

indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    Oh my. I would give them kudos if they taught the kids "grab anything you can to throw at the shooter, run, etc" rather than "huddle in the classroom like a target". But actually pretending that this is a GOOD weapon and/or having the kids mistakingly think the can might be more helpful than escape is well.... embarrassing at the least.

Our school here, I actually helped implement and research what was taught now here and its called the ALICE program and it is teaching kids to through the closet thing and attack the person coming in the door instead of huddling in the corner waiting to die!! which is awesome because now I remember myself getting in trouble freshman year when we ran the attacker drill and teacher told everyone to get in the corner and hid and I grabbed the scissors and a yard stick and stood right next to the door and she didn't like that because I wasn't following the rules, (but she did agree that I was smarter than the "system" lol)

Top Bottom