• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've tried to do some minimal online research as to what I need and I think I got even more confused.

I have a 2015 Harley Street Glide Special which is 100% stock at the moment. I came across a deal on a new exhaust system that is too good to pass up. Bassani head pipes with the "power curve" and Rinehart 4" mufflers. This whole system will be taken off another '15 Street Glide and sold to me. I *think* I know people who can help me install the new set-up and they may or may not be able to help me with the next question...

How do I go about tuning the bike for the new exhaust? I've seen things online that appears to be "plug and play" but I'm afraid if I do that I'll "plug" and have no idea how to "play."

Someone school me...

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    General rule of thumb is if you're just doing slip ons then no tune is needed up with the heads you should go get it tuned.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Been there done that!

If you just do slip-ons then your GTG.

If you do the air cleaner upgrade and slip-ons you have to get it remapped.

Mrs Glue has a 14 Street Glide Special with Rush Pipes only and no remapping needed.

I did cams, exhaust, SE air cleaner, and pipes. I bought the Super Tuner and the HD dealer remapped the engine. I picked up 21 Hp and 22 ft lbs of torque.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Been there done that!

If you just do slip-ons then your GTG.

If you do the air cleaner upgrade and slip-ons you have to get it remapped.

Mrs Glue has a 14 Street Glide Special with Rush Pipes only and no remapping needed.

I did cams, exhaust, SE air cleaner, and pipes. I bought the Super Tuner and the HD dealer remapped the engine. I picked up 21 Hp and 22 ft lbs of torque.

My take away from this post is that Jagee has a girl's bike. :)

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Harley just paid the Government Millions for selling and installing Fuel Tuners. Get a Powercommander like Printcraft said and find an Independent Shop to set it up. These Engines are Lean to Comply with the EPA AND the complete Exhaust System will make it Leaner.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    In your search, use the term "Stage I Upgrade". hdforums.com has a wealth of information on the subject. For the record, I installed Vance and Hines exhaust and head pipes, a Screamin' Eagle air filter on my 2014 Road King. I also used an FP3 tuner by Vance and Hines to remap. Those things couldn't be simpler to use on a late model Harley. Just type in FP3 in youtube and you'll see how easy it is.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My take away from this post is that Jagee has a girl's bike. :)

Girls bike or not, it's faster than yours. :stickpoke:

If you still have warranty on the bike, using a after market tuner will void it, get done at a certified shop!

Is that something I should be worried about? Should I have a shop install the pipes too?

Harley just paid the Government Millions for selling and installing Fuel Tuners. Get a Powercommander like Printcraft said and find an Independent Shop to set it up. These Engines are Lean to Comply with the EPA AND the complete Exhaust System will make it Leaner.

Any recommendations? I'm a complete noob to this. I know how to ride it and that's about it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Girls bike or not, it's faster than yours. :stickpoke:

Is that something I should be worried about? Should I have a shop install the pipes too?

Any recommendations? I'm a complete noob to this. I know how to ride it and that's about it.

Even if the dealer does the work it voids the warranty. At least thats what they told me. They also said that they would put things back like they were if they had to send it back to the factory that built it. 99% of the time the dealer does all warranty repairs so yes thats why the dealer has done all my work. They aren't going to tell on their self.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I would add one other possibility. Consider taking it to LA Cycles in Whitestown. They are not a HD dealer, but probably sell as many or more Harley's over the years as many dealers.

They have a mechanic there that I used to put a different cam in my 2012 Street Glide to get more low end torque. He's been building Harley motors for over 30 years.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Jagee - Call Rick at Route 44 Harley Repair LLC ,317-370-6786 , 10am to 5pm .
    We do Repairs and Service , Performance , warranty work ,
    Vance and Hines has a awesome tuner - plug it in - mate it to your bike - make a map and your good to go . you can download the app on to your phone and do it .

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a 14 FLHXS and added Rush racing 4" big Louie slip ons. I was told no remap of the EFI was needed. Wrong. Pipes started to blue in the first few 100 miles after the add. I paid Southside to remap the EFI due to the bluing. Waste of money. Bike popped and cracked worse than before. Called Rush and found out they were the first series and not the current. They sent me a new set of the latest. Riding buddy bought a 15 RoadGlide and added RC exhaust and a stage 1 intake. He had a Vance and Hines FuelPack. Holy crap! It was simple to plug and play. No trip to the dyno needed. I added a Vance and Hines stage 1 intake and bought a Fuel Pack. Links to your phone through your Bluetooth and you can see what's going on with the bike. It's simple. Download their app and they will tell you what base map to use through their app. I emailed their customer support since I installed on a Friday night and my combo wasn't listed in the selections. Had a response the next day (on a Saturday). And was riding that afternoon. Once you have the base map installed, your stock map is saved and you can reflash the EFI back to stock as needed. You can run a auto tune session and save it to custom tune the map for your bike. Best $$$ I spent on the bike yet. PM me if you want more info.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Do not let Harley tune your bike.

If you're just doing exhaust you may not need a tune. I know on my Dyna you can do pipes or intake with no tune but if you do both, gotta tune.

Look into the Power Commander or the Fuel Pak for diy tuners, otherwise find a good independent bike shop and have them tune it.

Top Bottom