SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not excusing the act of the shooting.
    Merely that a chuckle may not be what you think it is.

I did read the part about "not making excuses". I'm more or less paraphrasing and agreeing with you. He made a horrible mistake in an instant that will profoundly change his life.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm trying to find reputable links, but everything I search for seems to come up with adrenaline rush, and I'm looking for what comes after.

There is this.
    It's Primal Protection: Why it's Important to Understand Adrenaline
    The after-effects of an adrenaline surge are also something you should be aware of :

• Firstly, your hands can shake, and you can feel quite weak. This is simply a result of the falling blood sugar that was pumped into your system to provide the energy needed for a flight-or-fight survival response.
    • Secondly, there can be a sleep-inducing effect from the adrenaline wash-out and endorphin rush, which triggers a cut-out switch in the brain. This sudden fainting episode is simply caused by a drop in blood pressure and heart-rate, and should not be confused with a fear response.
    • Thirdly, an unexpected release of strong emotion that was suppressed during the adrenaline surge. Most often this erupts in the form of crying - which shocks and embarrasses people when they don't know to expect it.

All of these points are common, and can affect anyone at anytime

"Most often this results in the form of crying"
    Most often does not mean always.
    Many times various emotions come out, amplified. And many of the emotions are opposites. Happiness-Depression. Excitement-Fear. Etc.

Adrenaline and post adrenaline often cause arousal.
    That doesn't mean the person is a sick person that gets off on killing people.

I can't remember the resources I need, I think they have to do with doctors looking into reactions of people (mostly police/fire or military) that have been in extreme situations.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm trying to find reputable links, but everything I search for seems to come up with adrenaline rush, and I'm looking for what comes after.

There is this.

Many times various emotions come out, amplified. And many of the emotions are opposites. Happiness-Depression. Excitement-Fear. Etc.

I can't remember the resources I need, I think they have to do with doctors looking into reactions of people (mostly police/fire or military) that have been in extreme situations.

Col. Dave Grossman's (Ret) Bullet Proof Mind presentation covers the effects pretty well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Col. Dave Grossman's (Ret) Bullet Proof Mind presentation covers the effects pretty well.

I was thinking of Grossman's "On Combat". But I would rather state where he got his research from. But I don't think it's worth it.

Reactor Operator on a sub taught me personally about boredom punctuated with sheer terror.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was thinking of Grossman's "On Combat". But I would rather state where he got his research from. But I don't think it's worth it.

Reactor Operator on a sub taught me personally about boredom punctuated with sheer terror.

If I recall correctly he did the majority of his own research. He does reference other sources for statistics.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

There is this.

Well, that makes my research useless.
    Ha.
    :)

Not useless. I'm glad you went through the trouble.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not excusing the act of the shooting.
    Merely that a chuckle may not be what you think it is.

Right. I have given a nervous chuckle before starting to speak in the ER. Usually it's when a patient or family member is giving me the riot act for absolutely no reason. It's not that I think it's funny (though they yell at me and say I'm laughing at them) it's that I'm so shocked at what's happening I don't know how to begin to respond.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Right. I have given a nervous chuckle before starting to speak in the ER. Usually it's when a patient or family member is giving me the riot act for absolutely no reason. It's not that I think it's funny (though they yell at me and say I'm laughing at them) it's that I'm so shocked at what's happening I don't know how to begin to respond.

I can relate to this also. Dealing with emergency situations can cause you to unleash profanity, dark humor, etc.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just got caught up in this thread. I would talk about it but I'm not talking about it.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    So where exactly is this warning shot supposed to go? Up in the air? into the ground? at a tree? down the block? You don't see a potential problem with collateral damage or an innocent being struck by that warning shot perhaps? Maybe he might've hit that witness that was taking the video.

In the general direction of the perp, but at an angle so that it's likely to strike the ground. Something like "knee-level".

Yes, there's a chance of collateral damage, or that a stray round might hit a bystander. However, those conditions exist for every cop who's trying to hit the perp! Cops often miss their intended target, not to mention rounds that might pass through the perp!We've all read accounts of shoot-outs, and in most of these, there were far more misses than hits. In the heat of the moment, accuracy goes out the window.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Shoot to wound?
    Warning shots?
    I hate to sound condescending here, but that's so much Hollyweird myth.

The cop had time to draw, aim and fire eight rounds at a trotting target just 20 yards away. He had enough time to fire a well-aimed, non-lethal shot (i.e., to the lower torso, not mid-back). Okay, okay; such a would could be fatal. However, we know 8 to the chest will almost certainly be fatal.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Deadly force is deadly force. We don't use deadly force to warn people that we're about to use deadly force. You warn people with non lethal means, such as voice commands. Cops are no different than the rest of us, they can't just go slinging lead in the hopes that the noise will make the BG give up. Bullets are a liability, unless you're at the range (well, usually).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The cop had time to draw, aim and fire eight rounds at a trotting target just 20 yards away. He had enough time to fire a well-aimed, non-lethal shot (i.e., to the lower torso, not mid-back). Okay, okay; such a would could be fatal. However, we know 8 to the chest will almost certainly be fatal.

Um. No. I'm not sure if you're serious or not. But it seems like you are.

If an officer points a deadly weapon at a person and fires in his direction--doesn't matter what part of the anatomy he's aiming at--he is applying deadly force. The act of running away from a police officer, by itself, is not a deadly force circumstance. Our INGO officers have said as much. As someone else said, this isn't TV or the movies.

Top Bottom