SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In the general direction of the perp, but at an angle so that it's likely to strike the ground. Something like "knee-level".

Yes, there's a chance of collateral damage, or that a stray round might hit a bystander. However, those conditions exist for every cop who's trying to hit the perp! Cops often miss their intended target, not to mention rounds that might pass through the perp!We've all read accounts of shoot-outs, and in most of these, there were far more misses than hits. In the heat of the moment, accuracy goes out the window.
    In your second paragraph you go on about cops missing their intended target when they are trying to hit them and you use that as a justification to your first sentence and say "well if they can do that then why not just go ahead and shoot in the general direction". Kinda like an intentional, controlled miss huh? Non sense.

BTW..Just for the record I am in agreement with pretty much everyone else that this was not a good shoot. I'm just commenting on the nonsense of warning shots.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    U.S. Soldier Shot Twice by German Cops After Oktoberfest Rampage - NBC News

German police fired 85 bullets in 2011 - Boing Boing

Maybe German police are just better than US police, (it's certain they are better trained for longer periods of time). If they had followed US police policy, instead of shooting for the legs, a US soldier would be very dead. And, as another story points up, so would a drunk, sword and knife wielding German, who was shot once in the leg to stop his rampage. You can shoot for extremities. US police policy is to just not do that. Doesn't mean it's a good policy, just that there are alternatives.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Maybe German police are just better than US police, (it's certain they are better trained for longer periods of time). If they had followed US police policy, instead of shooting for the legs, a US soldier would be very dead. And, as another story points up, so would a drunk, sword and knife wielding German, who was shot once in the leg to stop his rampage. You can shoot for extremities. US police policy is to just not do that. Doesn't mean it's a good policy, just that there are alternatives.

German police shot a man armed with a fire extinguisher and we're supposed to think that is a good thing? Seriously? That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl here on INGO and in the mainstream media as well.

I can't take anything useful away from your second link. Precious little information to be had. I don't know anything about Germany or their culture or how it would compare to ours.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I know Germany pretty well, and I can tell you that German police aren't better trained, nor more professional. The Polizei whup $%# on the daily. I've seen them strip people naked, in public, on a whim, and punch and slap people like it's going out of style. One thing that they do observe, is the Blue (or in their case, Green) line. They love American cops... mainly because they think we shoot people everyday and that the United States is like the wild west.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    German police shot a man armed with a fire extinguisher and we're supposed to think that is a good thing? Seriously? That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl here on INGO and in the mainstream media as well.

I can't take anything useful away from your second link. Precious little information to be had. I don't know anything about Germany or their culture or how it would compare to ours.

To be fair they also shot a man armed with a knife and a sword in the leg, (one shot). Didn't post that link because it's in German, but you can look it up. The German police get years of training, unlike our police. Denny has addressed it a number of times here. They are much better trained than your average US cop.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    To be fair they also shot a man armed with a knife and a sword in the leg, (one shot). Didn't post that link because it's in German, but you can look it up. The German police get years of training, unlike our police. Denny has addressed it a number of times here. They are much better trained than your average US cop.

I'm all for it, I love training, it's what I do. I'd like to see officers get four hours a week on the pistol range, maybe then we could consider shooting for more challenging areas on the body.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    When it comes down to it all that should matter is whether it's a good shoot or not.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Germany gave us the concept of JBT's. The grass is always greener in Europe. Thanks to this emphatuation, we now have Obamacare. What next? No thanks, I'll keep America and our "untrained" cops who cant shoot the perps toe nails off as a warning shot.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Oh, did they kneecap them for sport?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Nope. They leg shot them to stop the threat and not have to kill them. Not to say they don't shoot to kill when needed, but there are police who don't think you have to kill to stop a threat. That's refreshing.
    do they use warning shots too

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

German police do know how to get the job done, historically.

German Police in the Nazi State ? Photograph

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So we pick out one instance where a German cop shot a dude in the leg, which may have been a great shot, or a lucky bad shot, and hold it up as evidence that German cops are smarter, faster, stronger than their American counterparts. I suppose the master race probably is that much better. Too bad their biggest fans have only anecdotes

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We can all speculate what happened. I am not defending him. I have been an officer for almost 40 years. Nothing seems to surprise me anymore. I wonder what happened prior to the video being started. Once again, I am not defending him. The guy moving the taser is stupid. It's evidence. He had to have seen the person recording him unless his "tunnel vision" was so narrow. It will all be interesting to see how this plays out and what his defense will be.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    do they use warning shots too
    Well American cops are, um, American. Obviously icky. And not very progressive. And they're all Republicans which makes them extra icky. German cops are like gods. And, even better they can shoot a kneecap from 300 yards with both eyes closed. It's because they all have trained to be cops from the third trimester.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Well American cops are, um, American. Obviously icky. And not very progressive. And they're all Republicans which makes them extra icky. German cops are like gods. And, even better they can shoot a kneecap from 300 yards with both eyes closed. It's because they all have trained to be cops from the third trimester.

The sarcasm is strong in this one

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It goes without saying that the legs are the best possible place to shoot an attacker.
    Don't believe all those rubes and trigger happy LEO who will tell you that aiming for the legs will 1) be extremely difficult, especially on a fast moving attacker, 2) is unlikely to stop a determined attacker, 3) is highly likely to hit major arteries (femoral) that will result in bleeding to death in minutes.
    Don't believe what the rubes and LEOS say about the hundreds of years of combat and medical science have taught them; Hollywood knows best.
    Also, don't ever shoot fuel tanker trucks, because they'll explode violently.
    I saw it happen in "Thelma & Louise," so must​ be true.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The sarcasm is strong in this one
    I really don't see why they even had to shoot their legs. Once criminals glimpse the visible godlike halo hovering over the flowing blonde hair and catch the glint of sunlight reflecting from their glistening pistols of virtue, I am astonished that criminals wouldn't throw down an immediate genuflecting salute and fall prostrate to the ground in humble worship.

Or, it could have been at night and the perps mistook the halo for a neon pub sign.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nope. They leg shot them to stop the threat and not have to kill them. Not to say they don't shoot to kill when needed, but there are police who don't think you have to kill to stop a threat. That's refreshing.

If the intent was to kill we would train for nothing but head shots. Lots of suspects are shot in the torso and survive.

Top Bottom