SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Death penalty sidenote:
    Generally, a perpetrator can't get the death penalty for only killing 1 person. Needs to have an aggravating factor such as multiple murders, commission of another felony (usually enumerated, such as rape, arson, burglary, something like that). I do not believe any of those other aggravators apply to this situation.

Somewhat ironically, killing a police officer - just one - is usually an aggravator. So, while the officer is probably not eligible for the death penalty, if the victim had killed the officer, he would be.

(I understand the risk that this observation may send this thread into a downward spiral, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.)

Did not know that. That being said I will settle for life in prison without parole, and he has to be in Gen Pop the entire time wearing a uniform that says EX-COP on it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just a follow-up to that, the proof of the aggravator needs to be rock solid. A capital sentence is grueling and expensive. A prosecutor will generally not even try it unless there is overwhelming proof that the case is worth it.

I understand the emotional reaction that the officer should receive the stiffest possible sentence. But, as noted by the US Supreme Court, the death penalty should be reserved for the worst of the worst. This officer may be very bad, but he is nowhere near the worst.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just a follow-up to that, the proof of the aggravator needs to be rock solid. A capital sentence is grueling and expensive. A prosecutor will generally not even try it unless there is overwhelming proof that the case is worth it.

I understand the emotional reaction that the officer should receive the stiffest possible sentence. But, as noted by the US Supreme Court, the death penalty should be reserved for the worst of the worst. This officer may be very bad, but he is nowhere near the worst.
    Public outcry may lead to abnormal events on this one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This officer may be very bad, but he is nowhere near the worst.

Killing someone in a moment of extreme emotion is bad, but not the worst of the worst, I concur. The attempt to tamper with the scene and stage it is what moves it beyond that for me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Killing someone in a moment of extreme emotion is bad, but not the worst of the worst, I concur. The attempt to tamper with the scene and stage it is what moves it beyond that for me.

Totally understand. Still not a death penalty aggravator.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not at all, but there have been a number of questioned shootings and deaths in the US in the past year (no, not referring to Michael Brown) which indicates one of two possibilities in my opinion.

a) some officers with a general disregard for the value of life

This is hardly limited to police officers. It applies to a very significant number of people in this country.

or

b) some officers that walk around so scared of their own shadow they have no business being in this business.

You're correct, they are out there.

The officer involved in the seatbelt violation shooting asked him for his license, the suspect turned around to get it and the officer immediately drew his weapon and fired. That said..

we teach safety training to every federal employee regardless that less then .001% actually get injured at work. Every federal employee has to take annual security training even though a very small percentage of people expose the DOD to risks. Every federal employee has to take sexual harassment training even though only a small fraction of people are the source of the problem...

see where this is going?

Sure I do. How many of the federal employees pay any attention or actually learn anything from the (apparently) needless training? We endure more than our fair share of worthless training already. Someone who sees no value in human life should probably be weeded out long before they would be attending training as a police officer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wow, had never seen that video, & no, I didn't see the gorilla.

When I first saw it, I saw the gorilla but started watching it and lost the pass count. I still fixated, just no longer on the assigned task. Pretty wild to see it for yourself, isn't it?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    New dashcam footage now shows Walter running away after traffic stop

CCLwr0DXIAAQq53.jpg:large

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.651211?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

From the linked article: The shooting was reminiscent of other police killings over the past year in cities including New York; Ferguson, Missouri, and Cleveland, Ohio, rekindling national outrage over excessive use of police force against black men.

How is this in any way like the others cited?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    When I first saw it, I saw the gorilla but started watching it and lost the pass count. I still fixated, just no longer on the assigned task. Pretty wild to see it for yourself, isn't it?
    What does it mean if you were able to count the number of passes and you saw the gorilla?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    No problem. I was wondering why the fixation. Honestly glad we got that resolved.

Its a pysch experiment that's been done in multiple variations that shows the human brain sucks at multitasking. Your eyes "see" everything, but your brain only has so much processing power. When you focus on a task, that task takes up a certain percentage of your processing power, leaving you "blind" to other things.

[video=youtube;vJG698U2Mvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo[/video]

This is an EXTREMELY important thing to realize about human perception, why its so important to train to the point things are instinctive and take up less "processing power", etc. I won't side track this thread further, but its something I've been really interested in and read quite a bit on over the years.

Remember the context. When I said toss I wasn't talking about the shooting officer, I was talking about the perception of a bystander fixated on a different thing. I think I've been pretty clear that tampering with evidence is definitely part of why this guy is deeply in the wrong. I think the perception and the reality are lockstep on this one.

Yeah, I'd seen it before. My comment was a poor attempt at a joke.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Right, so let's murder the guy in cold blood (for me, this would be in purple)

Now for someone to get his Facebook account pictures, along with his military record. This whole thing will take a drastic turn very soon.

Top Bottom