SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Now for someone to get his Facebook account pictures, along with his military record. This whole thing will take a drastic turn very soon.

I doubt it. Not that they won't get that info. There's no really new info and the media is going to suck this dry and flail about looking for new things to say until a new airplane from Malaysia goes missing or the like.

You're going to have a few hardliners who won't be swayed by the facts. You are going to have another faction that sees it as some grand racist conspiracy and attempt to tie it to Ferguson and the like. Those people will take whatever info they want to support their own bias and ignore the rest.

If you think the majority opinion is going to shift based on Facebook page photos and that dash cam video, I think you'll be proven wrong on this one. This is simply to flagrant, the video eliminates a lot of hypothesis building, etc.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Left it here for what? What do you think about it?

I thought it interesting that it was on the BBC. Stories about this shooting, like other police shootings in the US, have been at the top of the "most read" for some time now. Maybe it's just a completely different culture where most law enforcement don't even carry sidearms that breeds this level of interest, or maybe it's seen as savagery. I don't know, but always find the BBC's take intriguing.

I also hadn't seen any of these prior to posting because Twitter, FB, and the like give me a headache. Assuming I'm not alone in that boat, and thought it would interest others.

More particularly, the choice to include these 5 examples from the undoubtedly huge amount of related content floating around social media coupled with the clickbaity (to me) title about representing "being black in America" struck me as rather didactic, and I was curious if others felt the same way or if this reflects a widely-held viewpoint in this country.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    So what sort of fish do you catch with race bait?

An officer shot a man in the back. Let's focus on that. As far as I've seen, there is zero evidence it was racially motivated.

If it's not racially motivated, why not just talk about a police officer shooting "a man" in the back?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If it's not racially motivated, why not just talk about a police officer shooting "a man" in the back?

If they did that you wouldn't have posted it here. So, now we get to go in circles about whose race baiting and who are racists.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I think we are, it's the media that isn't. They want this to be a hate crime so bad they can taste it.
    That, to me makes them racists. Pisses me off.

I haven't read FNC's coverage on this at all. Does their coverage of this shooting differ from the other American news outlets? This is a general question....not directed at you specifically.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Cause in America we self divide and identify on many, many, ways

That certainly can't be the only reason. We've had 3 white police officers murdered by black men in Indianapolis since the merger. I certainly don't recall the races of the shooters or the victims in the headlines for the killings of Moore, Bradway, or Renn.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I haven't read FNC's coverage on this at all. Does their coverage of this shooting differ from the other American news outlets? This is a general question....not directed at you specifically.

I'm not sure. All I've seen is CNN coverage at work. But you KNOW what your going to get from them.Lol

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    If they did that you wouldn't have posted it here. So, now we get to go in circles about whose race baiting.

Right, and this thread probably wouldn't be here either. Not every police shooting gets picked up by the major news outlets domestically, much less internationally, nor do they all get threads on INGO. What's the end game in cherry picking incidents and fomenting discontent? I think there are larger sociological questions surrounding this, and that's where my thought process goes. I think it's fair to look at these and wonder what's going on in the larger picture sense.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    That certainly can't be the only reason. We've had 3 white police officers murdered by black men in Indianapolis since the merger. I certainly don't recall the races of the shooters or the victims in the headlines for the killings of Moore, Bradway, or Renn.

My condolences to the families

but I haven't heard word one about them.

Crying shame too

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Right, so let's murder the guy in cold blood (for me, this would be in purple)

Where did he write that?
    It in no way justifies the shooting, and not one person has said it does, but it does explain the state of mind of this guy.
    Further, it's also almost a certainty that Mr. Scott would still be alive had he chosen to stand fast instead.
    One small bad decision leads to two (the shooting itself, then the tampering) colossally bad decisions.
    A mere catalyst, and totally unnecessary, even though the fault is overwhelming on the LEO.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Now for someone to get his Facebook account pictures, along with his military record. This whole thing will take a drastic turn very soon.

With all due respect, malarkey.
    If the folks on INGO are even moderately representative of how the general public views this shooting, that's not just wrong, but totally wrong.
    It's one thing to have nothing but (conflicting and many directly contradicting the physical evidence) eyewitness accounts of a police shooting, with a strongarm robbery caught on surveillance video occurring mere minutes before said shooting to establish the mindset and behavior of the person who was shot; but it's quite another having irrefutable evidence of a bad shoot.
    Not all the unflattering photos of the deceased in the world will change the opinions on the latter event.
    It's distressing that too few people have faith in the ordinary common decency of the average American.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We've had 3 white police officers murdered by black men in Indianapolis since the merger.

I saw on the news last night that Chief Hite was on a national cable show talking about police roles and race. I believe the focus was on how Indy has been able to not have the kind of racial tension found in other places.

Of course, it is a complicated answer. I'd like to think Hoosiers are naturally more accepting of character over color. Mostly. The Indy/suburbia officers that I know are professional and race doesn't figure into their decisionmaking. On top of that, I know the Indy administration and groups like the 10 Point Coalition really do try to do the outreach kind of things that make a difference at a "street" level.

But, I have this cynical side. Part of me also believes that the killings of Moore, Broadway and Renn acted (and continue to be) a moral check on any righteous indignation about perceived police brutality. They are immediate reminders that police aren't always treated fairly and with tragic consequences. They are concrete examples that officers can point to that explain why they are "on guard." The sacrifices of those officers mean that most of the population cuts other Indy officers some slack.

Again, I'm absolutely not minimizing the professionalism of Indy and Indy-area officers. I'm just saying that even if the Ferguson PD was as professional as Indy's (and I don't think they are), they would still be viewed skeptically. IMPD's experiences the last few years rightfully earned sympathy from the community. Maybe even understanding.

Top Bottom