• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    My feelings also. Every time someone starts a thread about how they where singled out by LEO for OC, I just have to ask, was that the actual intention of the OC in the first place? Seems to me, some of the forum members who OC and are proud of it, are trying to provoke or are looking for some sort of confrontation with LEO or someone else who is armed and will engage in a gun fight. Misplaced old west mentality in a modern era. Why broadcast what you have in the way of protection? Why beg for more flak and a greater push for gun control from a concerned gun wary society? OK, I know the second amendment upside down flag waivers are ready to pounce on me but these are the OC individuals I am referring to in this reply. I believe in the second amendment but I am not going to add fuel to the fire for pundits wanting a weapons bans by provoking incidents such as this one.

His intention was to get groceries. My intention when I go out is to complete the tasks that need to be done, or simply have a fun time with friends and family. My OC has absolutely nothing to do with provocation. Do I assume everyone who conceals does it because they're scared? Yes, but that's beside the point. I break no laws, and neither does Birdman. He's a Sergeant in the Army Reserve. He is an upstanding man who serves his country proudly, and sure as hell doesn't need to be treated like that. His reasons for OC have nothing to do with getting attention, positive or otherwise. To say that we OC to provoke is ignorant and shallow.

Think about this; You see a lot of YouTube videos of OCers trying to provoke LE. What do they have in common? VIDEOS. If Birdman was trying to illicit a response, do not you think that he would have filmed it? You see, we open carry because it's what we do. We don't worry about what people think. We don't do it because we want to annoy, provoke, intimidate, or scare. We do it because it's the way we choose to carry.

If you have no meaningful commentary, stay out of the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Schererville
    I wouldn't expect that sort of response for carrying a grocery bag and walking with a firearm safely in it's holster.

Do I have a reasonable expectation that I may encounter law enforcement? Sure. Do I expect them to send 5 cars, to block off a bridge, to order me to put down my grocery bag and put my hands up? No.

It's kind of scary, imho, that you feel that this is to be expected for a legal behavior.

In fairness, they actually only dispatched 2, which is procedure. The other 3 showed up just because (probably bored & in the area) & weren't officially sent.. just sayin'...

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    In fairness, they actually only dispatched 2, which is procedure. The other 3 showed up just because (probably bored & in the area) & weren't officially sent.. just sayin'...
    Ok, so change 5 to 2, and it's still not expected.

I do not expect every time I step out of my house armed that I am going to be stopped or harassed by 2 officers. You guys must live in some pretty repressive areas if the moment you step out of your house armed you automatically expect to be hassled.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My feelings also. Every time someone starts a thread about how they where singled out by LEO for OC, I just have to ask, was that the actual intention of the OC in the first place? Seems to me, some of the forum members who OC and are proud of it, are trying to provoke or are looking for some sort of confrontation with LEO or someone else who is armed and will engage in a gun fight. Misplaced old west mentality in a modern era. Why broadcast what you have in the way of protection? Why beg for more flak and a greater push for gun control from a concerned gun wary society? OK, I know the second amendment upside down flag waivers are ready to pounce on me but these are the OC individuals I am referring to in this reply. I believe in the second amendment but I am not going to add fuel to the fire for pundits wanting a weapons bans by provoking incidents such as this one.

Well, since OC is legal, and since CC is legal, let's switch that around.
    You are CCing in a store, you have your super-dooper-never-be-found-guaranteed-to-almost-be-invisible holster.
    While reaching for groceries on the top shelf, your overwashed and slightly too small t-shirt rides up enough to let someone see it.
    Do you expect police to show up with pistols drawn?
    Do you expect people to wonder, "what was his intention?"
    How about, "maybe he should have been recording if he was doing that."

CC is legal.
    OC is legal.
    CC is not invisible carry. So maybe you should just try to learn from these events.
    I know I do. Whether OC or CC, I try to be ready in case of situations like this. And it's a shame, because I should be worried more about the BAD GUYS, not the GOOD GUYS.

Top Bottom