• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Only if you are under investigation or have committed an infraction.
    And to be under investigation they only have to have suspicion there is a crime being/has been/will be committed. Still boils down to reasonable suspicion. They can detain you for on the spot investigation. They cannot illegally search or seize without warrant though.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The fact is, the officers were doing their job. And according to the story we get here, nobody broke any law and no rights were violated.

I disagree here but I see you are not one to argue with someone who knows more than you do so I will leave it at that.

If you are going to OC, especially like a dork, expect to get hassled by the cops. If you don't like it, complain to the department (see where that gets you), call a lawyer (see where that gets you), at least carry a camera with you.

There is no need to be hassled therefore those of us who choose to OC also have the balls big enough to see threats to our rights through until the end. We lose some friends along the way, get bashed in the local papers and misunderstood by other gun owners but it is WORTH it in the end.

To that I say I HAVE complained to departments and before judges, and I HAVE contacted a lawyer who makes entire citys quake with fear when they get a document with his name on it.

We are winning, get used to it even if OC bothers your tender sensibilities.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Yes sir.
    You can be arrested for at not at least stating your information when asked. Also before that you could be arrested and held for 72 hours until you are identified.

An important distinction here that you noted but I want to emphasis. You have to STATE your information. You do not have to provide a driver's license or other form of ID unless there are other considerations.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes sir.
    You can be arrested for at not at least stating your information when asked. Also before that you could be arrested and held for 72 hours until you are identified.

You are most incorrect here. You must ID yourself only if you are suspected of committing an infraction or ordinance violation.

IF I am walking down the street (not OCing or carrying just to get that out of the way) there is no way that a cop can compell me to identify myself.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    I disagree here but I see you are not one to argue with someone who knows more than you do so I will leave it at that.

There is no need to be hassled therefore those of us who choose to OC also have the balls big enough to see threats to our rights through until the end. We lose some friends along the way, get bashed in the local papers and misunderstood by other gun owners but it is WORTH it in the end.

To that I say I HAVE complained to departments and before judges, and I HAVE contacted a lawyer who makes entire citys quake with fear when they get a document with his name on it.

We are winning, get used to it even if OC bothers your tender sensibilities.

Like a boss

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Having a drop leg holster is fine. Doing your shopping in it is another matter.

I'm not an INGO troll. You are mistaken.

What I'm doing is projecting a little common sense, or common perception, into this myopic pro-gun groupthink.

I know I'm welcome to do what I want. I also accept the, sometimes blatantly obvious, repercussions of my actions...

So if we disagree with your views, we don't have common sense? I'd say you are getting pretty butthurt for not being a troll.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    You are most incorrect here. You must ID yourself only if you are suspected of committing an infraction or ordinance violation.

IF I am walking down the street (not OCing or carrying just to get that out of the way) there is no way that a cop can compell me to identify myself.
    ACTUALLY you can, if you match a description of someone suspected of committing a crime. You, sir need to be more informed of the law. Indiana is a Stop-and-ID state. See my previous posts for proof.

jlwest1213

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    SE Indiana
    Today was probably the most extreme treatment I have ever had by the police.

I went out today walking to go to the Martins on Ironwood by IUSB to pick up a few groceries. I was in a hoodie, tan combat pants, and my combat boots and i had my Glock 26 on a leg holster. I went to Martins picked up my goods and went out of the store and headed back to my house. I was minding my own, carrying my groceries thinking about the daily tasks I had left to do when all of a sudden....

A SBPD car flashed their lights blocked the bridge traffic as another cop car did the same, another pulled up behind, and two others blocked the traffic again. 4 officer got out had their guns at the low ready at me and one officer directed me to drop my bag and place my hands in the air where he could see them. He then approached me as the other few officers there and asked me why are you carrying blah blah and do you have a permit to carry.

This scared the absolute **** out of me. He took my wallet out of my pocket where another officer started saying I honor your carrying your handgun but since you are carrying we have the right to do this blah blah and that since this day in age peoples view of guns and what not.

After the officer verified my permit they let me go.

Alright AAR time.

First off I am one guy carrying a bag of groceries, 5 cop cars respond close the bridge block off traffic all to make sure I was made an example.

NOW i can understand if the call came across as man with a gun on a bridge I can totally understand the magnitude of the response by the SBPD. HOWEVER the operator should have asked what the hell I was doing. I called the records department and asked what exactly went down. They told me it was a anonymous phone call and I would have to come in and see the report myself.

It was a bit over exaggerated today, scared the crap out of me thought I was getting arrested and what not. It was a hassle for the officers because to close that section of traffic off is a bit nuts, and a danger to motorists because that bridge with the two lights is a bit of a hassle as well.

I plan on going in Friday to the SBPD to talk to them about all of this I will keep you posted.

Thought I would share my little experience with INGO

Thanks!!!

Not a blast at all LEO's, but, I have seen/heard of too many local cops abusing their authority by harrassing ppl like this and using excessive force because they "can." Too many ppl slipping through the cracks to "serve and protect," and too many have nothing better to do than to show us simpletons that they are in charge.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    ACTUALLY you can, if you match a description of someone suspected of committing a crime. You, sir need to be more informed of the law. Indiana is a Stop-and-ID state. See my previous posts for proof.

Once again, you are adding qualifiers to your argument such as matching a description. Police can DETAIN you, they cannot force you to ID yourself even in that situation. Stop and ID states are anytime, any reason you must ID and usually tell them you are armed legally as well.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Once again, you are adding qualifiers to your argument such as matching a description. Police can DETAIN you, they cannot force you to ID yourself even in that situation. Stop and ID states are anytime, any reason you must ID and usually tell them you are armed legally as well.
    Still can be arrested for failure to ID in a Stop-and-ID state. If you are at home when asked then the matching description is qualifier. At least that is what my lawyer says. :(
    “Stop and identify” statutes are laws in the United States that allow police[1] to detain persons and request such persons to identify themselves, and arrest them if they do not.

My statement in the OP's situation would have been " I have proper ID on my persons as well as proof of my legal carrying of a firearm ."

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Still can be arrested for failure to ID in a Stop-and-ID state. If you are at home when asked then the matching description is qualifier. At least that is what my lawyer says. :(

Mine says otherwise ;)

The only statute in Indiana has a requirement of infraction or ordinance violation and it is a misdemeanor charge allowing the officer to arrest you and book you on charges.

If you match a description of a suspect they are seeking they can detain you for a determined amount of time or until you contact your lawyer. There is no legal jeopardy I can find that says otherwise, not to say they wouldn't try to charge you with some BS "failure to assist" charge.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

My statement in the OP's situation would have been " I have proper ID on my persons as well as proof of my legal carrying of a firearm ."
    Actually in the OP's situation he is not required to show ID, just his LTCH.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Mine would be "Am I being detained?" then if they ask for a LTCH I hand it to them, no need for them to see a DL if I am not in a vehicle. They can call it in to see if it is valid and I'm on my way.

Any deviation from that would be a call to my lawyer. Again.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Mine says otherwise ;)

The only statute in Indiana has a requirement of infraction or ordinance violation and it is a misdemeanor charge allowing the officer to arrest you and book you on charges.

If you match a description of a suspect they are seeking they can detain you for a determined amount of time or until you contact your lawyer. There is no legal jeopardy I can find that says otherwise, not to say they wouldn't try to charge you with some BS "failure to assist" charge.
    They would never do that in our little peaceful town.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Mine says otherwise ;)

You are wrong sir, and I believe I have provided that. Being detained and arrested are two different things.

Actually in the OP's situation he is not required to show ID, just his LTCH.
    Of which would be identifying himself. :n00b:

Mine would be "Am I being detained?" then if they ask for a LTCH I hand it to them, no need for them to see a DL if I am not in a vehicle. They can call it in to see if it is valid and I'm on my way.

Any deviation from that would be a call to my lawyer. Again.
    Good luck with that. :D

Top Bottom