Saw a woman beating the literal s**t out of her 3 yr old today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I just hope your lazy attitude doesn't get you shot.

As for new guys racking up posts or someone even thinking they are racking up post, who gives a **** about post count?

Last edited by a moderator:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I just hope your lazy attitude doesn't get you shot.

As for new guys racking up posts or someone even thinking they are racking up post, who gives a about post count?

You might want to quote the person you are responding too, it is easier to figure out who you are talking about.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    So, any news from the PD? I've been lurking on the thread. I agree with so many others, the weapon does not leave the holster until it's time to double tap. Until then, think on your feet and do what you can. I think you did well. I'm just curious to hear if you checked on the Kroger tapes or have heard anything from CPS?

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Havnt heard anything... No one even wanted a name or contact information when I reported it... So either they will do something without telling me or they just pigeonholed my report

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My suggestion: Dial 911 while you're walking up to the woman. Tell her to stop hitting the child, and that you've just dialed 911. Get between her and the child. Take down her license number.

Obviously you don't pull your gun - quite yet.

There was a case recently - I tried to find it again, but couldn't - where a man beat his three year old son to death by the side of the road while onlookers tried to "persuade" him to stop. The man was apparently having a psychotic episode, and thought his child was possesed by demons. A deputy finally showed up and was unable to restrain him, so he shot the man to death. Too late for the child, who died from his massive injuries.

From what you described, what this woman was doing didn't warrant deadly force. But let me ask everyone this: If a man was beating a grown woman in this same way, would that change the equation? We have a moral obligation to protect each other, and that extends 100 times when it concerns a child. I hope I prove to have to courage to stand in the face of injury and yes, even the law, if needed.

Think about what that child must endure when not in public. If she's willing to go that far in front of witnesses, what she must do to him in private is just sickening.

I have a three year old. Funny, I've never felt the urge to hit her. When I imagine the look on her face if her Daddy were to hit her hard 20 to 30 times, it makes me want to scream and sob and break things.

Where's Dexter when you need him?

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    This took guts to post this

So i was meeting a friend in the parking lot of the Kroger at 79th and Fall Creek near my home in NE Indy this evening. As we stood outside the car and discussed where we wanted to go eat dinner, i witnessed a woman drag her 3 yr old through the parking lot, throw it in the back seat of her SUV, and proceed to hit it repeatedly very hard about 20-30 times in the face as it was pinned against the door. When my buddy and I approached the car, she got out, told us that the child had hit her in the face first (keep in mind, this child was no older than 3, maybe 4) and that it was her kid and that she could do what she wanted. As she opened As we were both sickened by this, we got her license number and called the IMPD and reported what we saw.

But that brings me to my question, had I been carrying (in the ltch app process atm), at what point, if any would it have been legitimate to use my firearm to gain control of the situation? I know it would have had to get way out of hand for me to end up pulling the trigger in a public parking lot, and part of my gut feels like it would be best to keep it holstered, but part of me also feels like that at least brandishing the weapon would have been an option to protect this child.

I dont want to sound like one of those crazy people that the gun control people love to use in their arguments, pulling my firearm to perform whatever vigilante justice I deem necessary, but I feel like the safety of this little kid is also a big concern.

I'm just a little shaken up right now and its kinda eating at me I didnt do more to stop it earlier...
    It's not easy to ask about something you saw that was upsetting and ask for advice on a forum where you are new. I think you did right, took down the license # and call the cops. Some years ago in Geist my wife and I saw an abandoned 4-5 yr old boy crying, and called 911. I think about 5-6 other cars stopped. A red Audi stopped and a blonde woman (his mother ,we found out later) got the upset child, t- shirt, no coat and it was 40 degrees. I told her the police wanted to talk to her, she left and we followed. When a security "cop" pulled us over she told him she doesn't believe in spanking, so she left him alone in the cold on a busy st. to teach him a lesson!:xmad:Nothing happened, that we know of! Anyway red'p for a great thread!

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm 18 and dont have kids, and dont plan on it for a while. I know absolutely nothing about parenthood, but i would have a very hard time believing that anything a child would do would ever warrant a severe beating or the type of treatment Bisley Man described. Although I dont have kids, I do know that when I do have one in the future, it will be one of the greatest gifts that God will ever bestow upon me and I intend to treat it as such.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm 18 and dont have kids, and dont plan on it for a while. I know absolutely nothing about parenthood, but i would have a very hard time believing that anything a child would do would ever warrant a severe beating or the type of treatment Bisley Man described. Although I dont have kids, I do know that when I do have one in the future, it will be one of the greatest gifts that God will ever bestow upon me and I intend to treat it as such.
    :+1:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This is called Intimidation with a deadly weapon, and it IS a Felony.

I suggest you read all the prior post in this thread.

It's only intimidation if the prior act that your trying to coerce the other person to stop doing was lawful. If the prior act is a felony (which this could be considered) it can't be intimidation, but lawful use of force as long as it is reasonably justified by the circumstances. Having your hand on your gun while walking up to a person (woman or otherwise) in a seeming rage & trying to stop them from potentially beating her child to death is very prudent as far as I'm concerned.

Using it at this point, no. being prepared to use it if it becomes necessary, absolutely.

Remember that OODA Loop thing.

My suggestion: Dial 911 while you're walking up to the woman. Tell her to stop hitting the child, and that you've just dialed 911. Get between her and the child. Take down her license number.

Obviously you don't pull your gun - quite yet.

There was a case recently - I tried to find it again, but couldn't - where a man beat his three year old son to death by the side of the road while onlookers tried to "persuade" him to stop. The man was apparently having a psychotic episode, and thought his child was possesed by demons. A deputy finally showed up and was unable to restrain him, so he shot the man to death. Too late for the child, who died from his massive injuries.

From what you described, what this woman was doing didn't warrant deadly force. But let me ask everyone this: If a man was beating a grown woman in this same way, would that change the equation? We have a moral obligation to protect each other, and that extends 100 times when it concerns a child. I hope I prove to have to courage to stand in the face of injury and yes, even the law, if needed.

Think about what that child must endure when not in public. If she's willing to go that far in front of witnesses, what she must do to him in private is just sickening.

+1

Spankings are different than beatings. Judicious use of spankings when necessary, good. Beatings, criminal.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    It doesn't take much force to cause seriouse injury to a young child. The mother striking the child and the child slamming back in the door can cause a Cou Contra Cou injury. Basicly the childs brain is slammed to the back of there skull and then slammed into the front. This can cause anything from a slight concouscion to a severe brain bleed or Subderal hematoma. The child could present with symptomes right away or in an hr. If not treated it can cause, Brain damage or death. Not to mention possible internal injuries.

Knowing this I would of removed the mother from the child by any means except the use of a gun.
    First I'd call 911. Depending on the distance I was from the vehicle when I noticed the Incident I'd try to Slash 1 or 2 of ther tires. If she get's away it makes it easier for the Cops to catch up to her.
    Hope fully the Police caught her and her child is safe. However I know all to well how flawed the system is in Indy. I've many a CPS report, called the casse worker to check on the progress only to find that it's not been looked at yet or that yes they went out and investigated nothing was found at this time and the case is moved down the list.

Any Cop,Firefighter,EMS, ER Doc or Nurse in Indy can tell you first hand how easy it is for a child to be seriously injured or killed by an Adult. Just with an punch or a hard shove,etc.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I just wonder if the woman might have responded differently if you had been OC'ing? I agree with most of the others in that unholstering a handgun would not have been a good choice, and I'm not suggesting that you even call attention to your sidearm. But maybe if more people OC'd then those people who just wander around doing generally evil things would think twice if they still have a bit of a conscience.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I just wonder if the woman might have responded differently if you had been OC'ing? I agree with most of the others in that unholstering a handgun would not have been a good choice, and I'm not suggesting that you even call attention to your sidearm. But maybe if more people OC'd then those people who just wander around doing generally evil things would think twice if they still have a bit of a conscience.
    Of course, then I wonder if they would be twice as evil behind closed doors? :rolleyes:

Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    unholster you gun? how about mind your own business? my father god bless him used to whoop my tail (ex marine), even when i was younger than 3 or 4, (old man rant) thats the problem with these young whiper snappers now, not enough beatings going around so they grow up to be punks with no respect for elders...i'm done, carry on

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    unholster you gun? how about mind your own business? my father god bless him used to whoop my tail (ex marine), even when i was younger than 3 or 4, (old man rant) thats the problem with these young whiper snappers now, not enough beatings going around so they grow up to be punks with no respect for elders...i'm done, carry on

Whoa, are you serious?

You really think it's OK for a parent to literally BEAT their kid?

If you want to mind your own business go ahead but don't expect everybody else to stand by & potentially let a kid die because the parent is a lunatic.

Man, there's a BIG difference between a justifiable spanking and a BEATING. Respect goes both ways. It's not real respect if you have to BEAT it into them. If you can't figure that out....just wow.

I'm done, carry on.

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    I'm sure impd will file a report with cps, they take that stuff really serious now a days to where if someone says they saw you spank you kid your pretty much going to jail

Last edited:
    Top Bottom