• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was so glad Manning didn`t do the goofy, "come back as a Colt for one day, so he could retire a Colt". Irsay treated him shabbily, and I was tickled to death to see him win Super Bowl 50 as a Bronco. I hope he never comes back to the Colts in any way, shape, or fashion.

I don't I've ever heard that before. Compared to typical NFL player.... hell, you atypical NFL player, Manning was treated like gold.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm all but done with the NFL. Its to the point I can't stand to look at Irsay because of his drug issues and how much money we the tax payers spent on that stadium that he pays little to nothing for but yet profits from.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was so glad Manning didn`t do the goofy, "come back as a Colt for one day, so he could retire a Colt". Irsay treated him shabbily, and I was tickled to death to see him win Super Bowl 50 as a Bronco. I hope he never comes back to the Colts in any way, shape, or fashion.
    I thought Manning was treated like the product that he was (top notch). The decision was made to get a younger QB to replace Manning, who was coming very close to retirement. I think it was the right choice. I'm a big Manning fan, but the Colts were reorganizing and it wouldn't have benefited Manning (or the team) in any way to have him stay. I'm glad Peyton got a second SB ring. I don't think that would have happened if he'd stayed a Colt.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

People seem to have forgotten that, at the time the Colts had to make a decision on Manning (because the draft was imminent), Manning couldn't yet actually throw a football. His nerve had not yet recovered.

You don't draft a guy like Luck, only to sit behind Manning. You don't pay a guy like Manning, when you draft a guy like Luck. Financially, it made the most sense to go one way (Manning) or the other (Luck). And given that Manning's recovery wasn't assured at the time the decision had to be made, it was simply too great of a risk.

Ultimately, it worked out fantastically for Manning. He went to a team with an actual defense, led them to two Super Bowl appearances, and became the first starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl with two different teams.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    People seem to have forgotten that, at the time the Colts had to make a decision on Manning (because the draft was imminent), Manning couldn't yet actually throw a football. His nerve had not yet recovered.

You don't draft a guy like Luck, only to sit behind Manning. You don't pay a guy like Manning, when you draft a guy like Luck. Financially, it made the most sense to go one way (Manning) or the other (Luck). And given that Manning's recovery wasn't assured at the time the decision had to be made, it was simply too great of a risk.

Ultimately, it worked out fantastically for Manning. He went to a team with an actual defense, led them to two Super Bowl appearances, and became the first starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl with two different teams.

I dunno Chip, I think they could have tried to keep him given any incoming rookie can only be paid up to the rookie cap. You can always cut him later if it doesn't work out. I'd have liked to seen Luck under Mannings tutorship.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IIRC, IF Manning would have stayed it would have cost Irsay $60m if he was still on the roster. No way Irsay and the Colts could have given Manning front O Line protection and nothing left under the salary cap.
    With Luck in the Draft it was a no brainer to let Manning go and draft luck.
    Manning is a class act and I have nothing but good feelings about him and was glad I had the opportunity to see him play football for Indy. I followed and cheered him when he was in Denver.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Difference of opinion...Rodgers sat behind Farve, Young sat behind Montana. And no, I never forgot about Manning`s neck injury, but, Manning put Indianapolis on the map as a football town. IF, you can call snobs who sit in a dome, a football town. But Manning deserved a LOT better than he got from irsay, period.

All that said, I am tickled to death that Peyton didn`t do the "retire as a colt" nonsense, and I hope he never comes back to be associated with that idiot irsay again.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    All the early reports I'm hearing about Ballard are good as well. It will definitely be interesting to see how the Pagano situation plays out. I honestly don't think we're THAT far from being a competitive team, but we'll see next season.

Top Bottom