• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crandall Crank

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    I wear Merrils MOAB (low cut), Keens and Dunhams. I am on standing/walking on concrete for 12 hours per day at work. They all are well made shoes. For me, the support goes out before the shoes look bad or wear out. I simply buy a replacement insole and continue on for another 6 months. I also rotate my shoes so I do not wear the same pair more than once. This is important for me if I am standing on concrete for long hours.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Just picked up a new pair of MOAB3 shoes yesterday, this time for one of my kids(at their request).

I found them for $40 at Ross(in multiple colors and sizes).

I have worn Merrill's for thousands of miles. The MOAB3 is a vast improvement of MOAB2's. The factory insole is much better(something I usually end up replacing though as it will wear out before the boot). Currently I have 2 pairs of Merrill shoes and 3 pairs of boots. Only one pair of boots is water proof and it for running around town or in winter(when I can not wear Muks).

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Both have specific models that are well regarded, so it might be worth finding a place to try them on? I’m not sure where but surely Louisville has a place. I have some Quest 4Ds I got years ago and have never used - lol, are you an 11?

I’ll also add that my Danner Mtn Light ii’s have been the best boot I’ve had. I used them for professional and personal use for years, and they’re still going strong. Made in USA. However, getting them worn in was almost not worth it - but now they’re better than anything else I have or used.

TheZenful1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Have both in two different styles. Salomon XA Pro 3D's, 3 pair, 1 for work, 1 for casual, 1 old pair for garden/dirty work. The only wear point I've seen is at the area by the little toe for me, that is, other than wearing the tread down.
    Merrell Moab 2 boots for motorcycling. I cannot tell you how many pairs of boots I went through before I found these, which are the most comfortable to walk around a rally in and not have to change shoes.I guess it depends on what purpose you're going to use them for.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just picked up a new pair of MOAB3 shoes yesterday, this time for one of my kids(at their request).

I found them for $40 at Ross(in multiple colors and sizes).

I have worn Merrill's for thousands of miles. The MOAB3 is a vast improvement of MOAB2's. The factory insole is much better(something I usually end up replacing though as it will wear out before the boot). Currently I have 2 pairs of Merrill shoes and 3 pairs of boots. Only one pair of boots is water proof and it for running around town or in winter(when I can not wear Muks).

I have gotten to shopping for sales. Sometimes a store brand on clearance or the like. Seems like all the shoes under a couple hundred bucks are kinda the same, made in the same asian places? LAPG, Botach and even Amazon have frequent sales of various brands. It's worth signing up for their lists.

Watch the reviews for sizing info on ALL online clothing. A lot of variation there.

Gotta be ready to buy before you need. A $40 pair of clearance Duluth hikers have been fine. I wear them instead of the $75 clearance waterproof Solomons when I fill the gas cans every few months or so. Just in case of accidental gas pump splash or drench or such.

:twocents:

hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    I rocked Moabs on an Afghanistan deployment and they held up alright. It was 12 years ago so I can’t comment much on what their quality is now but I put a lot of miles on those boots in some less than friendly terrain and they didn’t fall apart on me and felt good on my feet and I have almost no arches.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Anyone have any real world experiences with both of these shoes? I'm looking at getting at least a mid cut and probably a low cut also. Probably wear the low cut for everyday out and about and the mid for hiking. Don't think I'll go for the gor-tex but waterproof yes
    I have like 5 pairs of Salomon shoes/boots. They always treated me well.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I've been wearing Merrell for a few years now. I had a pair of Moab low cut that I wore for a looooong time before they finally wore out. I have a pair if mid-cut Moab's now, as well as a pair of their trail runners that I wear daily.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I wear Salomon speedcross daily. Have been for years. My feet like them. I've had Merrell's and never stuck with them, just didn't feel great for me.

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    The quality and durability of Keens seem to have gone done over the last several years. The Targhee (low) are lasting less than 6 months before the heels are worn down. Previous pairs lasted for years. Just purchased a pair of Keen Circadia in early July. They are already showing heel wear. I have added better insoles to correct for any issues. I have to be very cautious about shoes due to plantar fasciitis. I used to wear Merrell quite a bit but they cause it to flair up. If anyone has insight on either Oboz or Salomon from this perspective please let me know.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The quality and durability of Keens seem to have gone done over the last several years. The Targhee (low) are lasting less than 6 months before the heels are worn down. Previous pairs lasted for years. Just purchased a pair of Keen Circadia in early July. They are already showing heel wear. I have added better insoles to correct for any issues. I have to be very cautious about shoes due to plantar fasciitis. I used to wear Merrell quite a bit but they cause it to flair up. If anyone has insight on either Oboz or Salomon from this perspective please let me know.
    Totally agree with you on the keens.
    No experience with the Oboz boots but a pair of what I call tennis shoes (my wife calls them “no those are still boots”) seem sturdy.
    I live in Salomons daily and beat them up and they hang in.
    Try on some Zamberlans if you value your feet. I love mine but won’t beat them up on the daily, I’m too tight. Always look forward to wearing them.

Top Bottom