• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Please keep us posted on any legal proceedings that we (public) can attend. If you are afraid of people showing up and hurting your cause (wearing Death to Tyrants, Cold Dead Hands, etc. T-shirts), please PM the information if you can. I would like to witness what goes on and I promise to dress and behave appropriately. I have an interest in this since I live in St. John.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    There is a hearing on my motion to dismiss Sep 20th @ 8:45 in the Lake County Court in Hammond. I (and my attorney) am very optimistic about the outcome.
    Come one, come all, just dress appropriately for a court.
    Thanks for all the good wishes and support from everyone.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    It's September 20th. Come on man, throw us a bone, what happened?

Hope all went well.

He's probably not to the point where INGO is his priority today. I'll bet he's:

A) still in court (court proceedings are almost NEVER short)
    B) in jail
    C) out celebrating
    D) other.

:+1: on the hope all went well though.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    D) other.

Sorry for not posting sooner. I got called by work yesterday afternoon and worked 6p-4a, came home, took a nap, got up, went to court, came home and went to bed for a while.

So, the prosecutors' office has been after me for more than a week to agree to a continuance. I told my attorney not no, but H*** no, if they can't get their stuff together, it isn't my problem.
    I show up this morning and about 2 minutes before court is to begin the prosecutors' office files for a continuance, which the judge grants. My new court date is now October 7th @ 1pm.
    Once I figure out how to scan the depositions I may post some of the more ironic portions. The detectives' deposition reads like something Barney Fife or the keystone cops would come up with. Both the responding officer and the detective admit that I committed no illegal acts. The detective had (or has) no idea that residential entry requires force of some sort to be used, and he admits that I used no force whatsoever, and that it was resonable for me to assume I had permission to enter.
    As fat as the intimidation charge, the "victim" and the police all acknowledge that I never referred to, "drew, or even touched my firearm; and that it was perfectly legal for me to carry it on my person. The detective said that in order to prevent it from being seen I should have backed out of the house instead of turning around and walking out like a normal person.
    So, to recap; I have been to court 3 times now, missing work every time (except today) and the prosecutor assigned to the case has yet to be there. My next hearing date is set for Oct. 7th at 1300 in Hammond. *sigh*
    Again, please to not speculate about what "should be" happening. Thanks!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For us laymen never been to court people. I take it a "continaunce" is a post-ponment of the court date (ie. both sides saying their side to the judge who will tend rule on the case). If so how many "continuance" can be granted. I take it only the judge can grant them. Does this not fly in the face of a speedy trial?

So at this point the judge has not hear your case yet rigth? It's all been collection of evidance (ie the testmony) that has been done and presented to teh court to see if it will be allowed in the trial?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Thanks for posting Bill. For those of us following the thread it's hard to wait until the next post to see what has happened. I can't imagine how difficult it is on you having to wait until the next court date.

I don't know what I'm gonna do until October 7th!:): Next time you go to court, if they try to pull this again, just tell them - "NO, I don't think Mainjet can handle another continuance".:D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have had the intial hearing in July, that's when charges are read and you enter a plea.
    Then in August was what they call an "omnibus hearing" where a lot of different things can happen, we asked for a jury trial (set for June 2011) and set a hearing date for a motion to dismiss.
    Today was supposed to be the hearing on the motion to dismiss, which didn't happen.
    Yes, a continuance is a delay or resetting of the hearing. I don't know how many will typically be given, but this is the first that has been given in my case.
    Take my advice, if you are going to carry, find a lawyer now and give him $2500 as a retainer. Put another $1000 to $1500 aside, in cash, for bail money. Think of it as insurance. If this doesn't go to trial it will still end up costing be around $3500. If it goes to trial add another $2500. And I'm getting off cheap because I've used this attorney for other things.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Thanks for posting Bill. For those of us following the thread it's hard to wait until the next post to see what has happened. I can't imagine how difficult it is on you having to wait until the next court date.

I don't know what I'm gonna do until October 7th!:): Next time you go to court, if they try to pull this again, just tell them - "NO, I don't think Mainjet can handle another continuance".:D

Thanks. Unfortunately I eat when I'm stressed, so my weight loss plans haven't been working out so well. I haven't had a good nights' sleep since May and I'm just not my normal happy self.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    bill,

i just read throught the thread. i remember you posting this back when but during the summer i tend to stray from the computer some. i'm glad it may finally be coming to an end, maybe. good luck and rest well!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Take my advice, if you are going to carry, find a lawyer now and give him $2500 as a retainer. Put another $1000 to $1500 aside, in cash, for bail money. Think of it as insurance. If this doesn't go to trial it will still end up costing be around $3500. If it goes to trial add another $2500. And I'm getting off cheap because I've used this attorney for other things.

If you don't mind me asking who is your atty?

The ones I have heard up here (NWI) that are good and I have in my phone but have never talked to them are:

Dale Allen
    219-462-3998
    Valpo, IN

and

Larry Rogers
    219-762-9538
    Valpo, IN

I also have an ATTY called "Guy" based out on Indy 317-450-8252 who does the Comprehensive IN Gun Laws presentation and figured if I ever got into real trouble I would like his input in my trial since he is the guru on IN gun laws and criminal cases with a lot of experience.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Read through this all a few weeks ago. I sympathize man, I've been through the court system over support then custody (which I won), but there's nothing speedy about the court system. Between delays and continuances and overbooking the courts, etc, it's just a mud bog sometimes.
    Keep your head up!

Top Bottom