• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Im sorry to hear about all that has happend Bill.

Out of all the threads I have read about armed LTCH holders going to a residence with a person who is not welcome there to get belongings of their I can't think of any that ended well for them....

I have allways felt that in these situations it is best to call the police at the non emergency number and have them come out and let them handle it.... regardless if you have a gun or not.

Again that is my opinion and some may say I am overly cautious but thankfully I have had yet to have ever have the cops called on me/be arrested ect ect.

Im not trying to be negative..... just mentioning the trend I have noticed. I honestley hope everything works out for you.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I carry all the time, so i have my firearm with me when ever.Does your statement mean that we should disarm when we try to help someone such as the OP did ?I hope he wins and collects a seatelment from the Town & the officer involved .If i can do anything to help or this forum to help we should , it is in our best interest as responsable gun owners.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    yea I have no problem lending a hand to a fellow member, especially when I live in the very town this incident occured, but with my last name, and the history of it in this town, I cant have anything to do with SJPD...

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I need cliff notes...did you get the audio/video from the call already? It may behoove you to have a copy and review (ref: freedom of information act, have your lawyer request it pre-trial). Also in reference to the criminal trespass, did your daughter in law request you to help her get her stuff. Any verbal agreement? Did she pay rent to the owner of the house, any evidence of a contract between herself and owner? Was there any sign posted no trespassing? Did you immediately comply with her request to exit? The report the officer filed is probably just an information report, which basically just covers their tale in situations as such? Is the department doing any IA or professional ethics review of said officer?
    Lastly, +1 for KNOWING what's on the LTCH and being thoroughly versed in how it works. We should all take notes on being informed. Good luck...

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Information that I can divulge:
    1.) The detective, officer and "complaintant" have all been summoned for depositions by my attorney, these will happen Friday afternoon.
    2.) There is a hearing Monday @ 845 at the Lake county courthouse in Hammond. Anyone that wishes to come out for moral support is more than welcome.

Does anyone know a good 2A or civil rights attorney? I'm in Hammond but would be willing to travel to talk to one.

Junglerogue; There are answers to your questions, but I'm not comfortable divulging anything more at this time.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Bill B,

Just saw this thread today. I live in St. John. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Yes, the NRA is the big boy on the block but don't overlook other resources. Have you contacted the Second Amendment Foundation? Gun Owners of America? They might not be able to come out and help you directly but they might have information to point you in the right direction.

Have youu contacted Bryan Lee Ciyou, Esq. (author Indiana Handgun Law). I believe he's a criminal law attorney but he might be able to point you towards a good Civil Rights / 2A attorney.

I'm also sending you a PM.

Good luck.

PS: Are you going to try and make the Meet & Shoot at Winamac this weekend?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    UPDATE:

According to my attorney the depositions Friday went extraordinarily well, even the prosecutor admitted one of the charges was "weak."
    There is a hearing Sept 20 on our motion to dismiss, if it is not granted the trial date is set for next year.
    There is, obviously, much more detail that I am not at liberty to discuss right now and I will ask everyone please, no more speculation.
    Thanks for the support.
    I will try to be at the meet and eat on the 28th.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the update Bill B.
    Hope to finally be able to put a face to the name.

---
    FYI NWI INGO members
    INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...en_carry_cigar_night_aug_19_schererville.html

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 OR 19 SEP 10 (go vote!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...590-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Top Bottom