• Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    TSG is stocking Saigas now?? :eek:

REPENT! THE END IS SURELY NEAR!! :laugh:
    It was always on the table, but a very small table. Simple fact is it's a global economy now. Elmer may go hunting these days with a Saiga in hand, American made drum mag and ammo made in Mexico.

Hell, I will probably do an SBS once I get settled in Wisconsin. Where are my plaid wool pants?

To the OP, of all the things "shotgun" in this world that I have shot on any platform, if you really want a good shooter, set yourself up with a good cheek weld. Anything you do should fit you at least as good as the sporting stock that comes on the Saiga. It may not be cool, but actually is a good stock, just long.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    if you use the original stock, I'd recommend you fill it with expanding foam (Great Stuff).

I despise the original trigger, Looooong and creepy.....

fordmech_2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    i really enjoy them and any issues u may have can be resolved easily with a little research at teh saiga-12 website u mentioned in your post. i say heck yea

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Centerfire ($499) in Versailles, KY and Gilberts ($469) in Frankfort, KY have them in stock. Anyone dealt with either of these? I can drive to them on Friday... sales tax would be cheaper than transfer and shipping, and I'd get to handle/inspect. Thoughts?
    I've bought parts for mine from Gilberts before without any problems.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Got my Saiga 12!

Just picked up a new Saiga 12! Got it from Ace Hardware in Scottsburg, and put 55 rounds through it at Henryville on the way home. It won't fire Wally bulk Winchester on #1 and had some hiccups on #2 for the 1st 10 rounds. The next 30 were fine; ejecting about 3 feet at about 3 O'Clock. 15 Remington slugs were no problem, ejecting 6 feet at about 2 O'Clock. The sights were dead on with the slugs at the 1st berm at Henryville (40 yards?). This was straight from the store with no cleaning, only a quick inspection.

Just got home and stripped it; the rear of one of the bolt lugs looks a little peened. I hope it shows in the pics. Does this look like a problem, or just typical ComBloc break-in? I'm certain that all slugs were fired on Gas #1 (hope I didn't get it backwards!).

Now to seriously start investigating conversion kits! :ingo:

P8272803.jpg

P8272809.jpg

P8272810.jpg

IMG_20100827_140013.jpg

IMG_20100827_140146.jpg

:ar15:

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Taken from Tromix Lead Delivery Systems

All credit to tony rumore of tromix

Ammunition: Most Saiga-12’s will cycle all 1-1/8oz ammunition. I do not recommend firing any of the super light 1oz shells. The very best cheap, light, birdshot ammo is Winchester AA, Super Sport, or Super Handicap. It runs about $4.50 per box and cycles Saiga’s like a champ. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE WINCHESTER “UNIVERSAL” AMMO SOLD AT WALMART. YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. Don’t call me if your gun does not work with this ammo. Any high base heavy loads should work fine in all guns, including buckshot, slugs, and steel shot waterfowl ammunition.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    After the initial 10 rounds of Wallychester, I fired 10 Rem slugs (Buckhammers, I think) on gas pos. #1. When I went back to the low brass, they all fired without any FTE's on #2.

I ordered a Tromix DIY TG and FCG from Miss. Auto, and the Vltor AR->AK adaptor and a Magpul Moe from Brownell's. Warming up the Dremel.... :ar15:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Will @ Red Jacket built my S12, and the only issues I have had with the gun were due to my tinkering with it.

news12pics_003.jpg

Things I have learned from my own experiences.
    Mags.
    1) The MD20 drum has been flawless in operation for me, more reliable than any of the current 10rd stick mags. I had some issues with the AGP 10rd mags that required some massaging. (There is actually on AGP website showing how to correct sticky followers.)
    2) The factory 5rd mags and the Korean 5rd mags have also performed flawlessly for me.

Gasplug.
    Gunfixr's gas plug did improve reliability while using lower powered loads. However, Like Jugs mentioned earlier, it is not a necessity.

Gas pucks.
    I tried the E-tac gas puck, gun hated it. went back to factory gas puck and reliability returned.

I am currently running a Poly choke on my gun, Poly - Choke II for Saiga 12 [S12polychokeii] - $99.95 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories , I have found it to be good at pattern adjustment but not much in recoil management.

I also had the AMS mini red dot mount with a TNVC RDPII installed on my S12, it is a very good method for mounting a mini dot sight. However, since my S12 has H&K sights I found that they two didn't work well together. The H&K sights obstructed the red dot a bit too much for my taste. If I didn't have H&K sights, the AMS mount and TNVC RDP is a great combo, I have gone to using just the H&K iron sights. ( I would be willing to sell the AMS mount and TNVC RDP if your interested.)

Also, the above picture is a bit old. As I have mentioned I no longer run the AMS RDP combo. I have also dithched the VFG and use a MagPul AFG AFG™ - Angled Fore Grip . I have also made some significant mods to the ACE buttstock check rest for comfort sake.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Here's mine... big ol' plus one for the gunfixer knob for changing settings on the fly. I really want to try an auto regulator when they come out.

picture.php

I'm gonna remove my magpul sights and use the chaos hk ones made for the chaos rail (just came out).

If you need help with your conversion, let me know, i've done a few.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Here's mine... big ol' plus one for the gunfixer knob for changing settings on the fly. I really want to try an auto regulator when they come out.

picture.php

I'm gonna remove my magpul sights and use the chaos hk ones made for the chaos rail (just came out).

If you need help with your conversion, let me know, i've done a few.

The gunfixer knob is on my list, or maybe an auto regulating one if they pan out. I don't want to change too many things at once... makes trouble shooting more difficult.

To BigCraig: what type of of foregrip are you running? The Chaos with the HK sites looks pretty good, but I'm not married to anything yet. My 1st priority is to get it converted and reliable... not that it hasn't been but 55 rounds isn't enough!

Any comments on the peening in the earlier pics I posted?

barryG: I don't think my S12 throws hulls anywhere near that far... Is that normal for mag/high brass? Maybe it's the camera angle?

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    reference your foregrip question (though not directed at me), i find this excellent for
    the ak platform and i use one obviously. It's the canted vertical grip adapter. It allows you to put your vertical grip wherever you want and not get in the way of "rockin n lockin" your magazines. You can put whatever vertical grip you want on it.

images

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    reference your foregrip question (though not directed at me), i find this excellent for
    the ak platform and i use one obviously. It's the canted vertical grip adapter. It allows you to put your vertical grip wherever you want and not get in the way of "rockin n lockin" your magazines. You can put whatever vertical grip you want on it.

images

While not a fan of VFG's on (semi-auto) AR's, I can see the possible benefit on an S12. Have you tried the Magpul AFG(?)?

barryG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    I use and AFG on mine and so far I like it. It helps me maintain a consistent hold.

As to how far the brass is ejecting on my video, the camera angle makes it seem like it is going further than it is .. It ejects low brass about 6 feet. That video was with walmart Federal bulk packs.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    To BigCraig: what type of of foregrip are you running? The Chaos with the HK sites looks pretty good, but I'm not married to anything yet. My 1st priority is to get it converted and reliable... not that it hasn't been but 55 rounds isn't enough!

In the above pic the VFG is an ACE K-grip, they use to be my go to VFG for all my guns. I am currently using the MagPul AFG on my S12, AFG™ - Angled Fore Grip , it just feels more comfortable on that particular gun. The forearm is the DPH railed forearm, I am still using that now, but I have a newer non-railed forearm enroute.

Top Bottom