• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A crappy first car that I paid for with my own money was a right of passage for myself and many of my peers when I was a young'n.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The only possession I own that I would never sell is my grandfathers old .22 rifle. I never shoot it and if I was given the option to sell it and get the cash at 16 year old I probably would have, but I had good parents. I will give it to my son some day and hope he treasures it as much as I do.

Take that for what its worth.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Keep the guns and let him buy a **** box.

I worked my tail off to by my first car. Took me until I was 18. I was not like my friends that had already been through three cars purchased by parents.

I took care of the car and actually sold it a year later for a profit to buy a newer truck. Drove that truck 10 years and sold it for a bag of money.

Let him learn the value of a dollar and let him work for it. When the day comes and he has become a man give him his grand daddy's shooting irons.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    well ingo has spoken. im glad i asked here instead of the national hotrod forum. lol. but seriously thanks for the input. it made me look at it a little different. i would have never sold the 42's because one of them was my first gun and me and dad beat the brush rabbit hunting with them when i was a just a little kid. i couldn't sell the the mod 12's because i always wanted to shoot trap and win a trophy and shoot at the grand like my dad did. never shot with him there but i did get to bust alot of clays at izaak walton on saturday nights, and skeet on suday mornings. cant sell the red labels or the woodside because i bought all 3 of them for him to repay him the money i borrowed to buy tools i needed to start a new job. my boys would kill me if i sold the pump .22's because thats what they would shoot with their pap. cant sell the muzzle loaders cause we took them elk hunting in colarado and had some great times on shield mountain. cant sell the ruger 77 .270 because he took his royal elk with her. cant sell the 20g.fox model b because he rode his bike from the farm into town and bought with his milking money. wouldent think of getting rid of my granpas, great grampas guns, and grampas great great grampas pistol he carried in the civil war. etc. damn i miss my dad and mom. anyway i thought i could sell some of the pistols that he/we never shot but now that i shot and deer/ squirrel hunted with the smiths ive made memories for the boys. sure glad you guys convinced me im not too sentimental. thanx ingo
    theyre all just things and i would throw all of them in the crusher to have 1 more year, month, day with my mom and dad. enjoy your families while you still have them. Merry Christmas

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm a firm believer that kids should must buy their own cars, pay for the gas, insurance and repairs. It's a lesson on finances. Plus chances are, they won't have the money by age 16. Most 16 year olds have no business with a car. If they don't have the money for a repair, gas or insurance. It gets parked until they do have the money.

I started telling my oldest at about 13 or 14, if you want a car, get a job. She didn't take me seriously, she finally got her first car just prior to turning 18. She's now 41, and thanks me periodically for those type of lesson's as a kid.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Crappy first car. Look, he's a new driver. Statistically he's going to crash it, at least a little. There's ZERO reason to start a new driver off in an expensive car. Let him cut his teeth on something safe but inexpensive, save on the insurance and the inevitable dents and dings depreciation, and hold on to those guns.

When he's a grown man, this car will be nothing but a hand full of memories and a story or two. Those guns will be something he can pass on to HIS children.
    This ^^^ absolutely all the way to the bank... it's the truth...

You will regret it every minute of your life if you sell these guns to buy a nicer car for your son and he turns around and wrecks it. Statistically speaking, your son is quite likely to wreck it even if he is a very good driver, there are just some things that you have to learn the hard way, in the driver's seat.

IMHO, wait longer to buy him a car... there is nothing that says he has to have his own car when he starts out driving...

I also agree with chruchmouse, if it were me I would make him buy his own. When I got my license I was permitted to drive the old family clunker or buy my own. I drove the old clunker until I couldn't stand it anymore, and I bought my own... You can do something similar by either having him buy his own, or offer to buy him a clunker (assuming you don't have one already). If he doesn't like the option of you buying him a clunker then he better start saving... and you can contribute the money you planned to spend on the clunker towards the purchase of whatever he chooses...

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    Crappy first car. Look, he's a new driver. Statistically he's going to crash it, at least a little. There's ZERO reason to start a new driver off in an expensive car. Let him cut his teeth on something safe but inexpensive, save on the insurance and the inevitable dents and dings depreciation, and hold on to those guns.

When he's a grown man, this car will be nothing but a hand full of memories and a story or two. Those guns will be something he can pass on to HIS children.

^^^^This! Keep The Guns!!!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I could not sell any of the handguns, if it were me. Your Dad bought quality guns made to last a lifetime and I am sure his intent was that you have them, then the grandkids. I am doing the same with my guns and kids.
    Cheaper cars are much easier to come by than family heirloom, vintage guns of the quality we see in the pictures.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That M17 is so beautiful . . . cannot . . . continue . . . typing *tears*

I know...I know....I wanted to say, "Well I would sell the crappy .22 revolver to at least help your boy get a down payment and if you want to pm me I will take it off your hands..." But I opted with "Keep the guns but if you EVER decide to sell that Model 17 PLEASE shoot me a PM..."

What little integrity I have hurts sometimes.....Here is my 250 rounds per week mid 70's 17-3....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    No matter what you help him get, it will be battered in 6 months, so better start with a junk car than let him create one out of an expensive car. Kids will give a vehicle as much care and respect as they have put time and money to obtain. If they work their butt off for it, they'll take better care of it than if it's been handed to them with little input on their part.

BTW, your dad had good taste in firearms.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    While everyone would love the chance to get a couple of your guns, keep them. They become priceless later. I wouldn't sell my granddads or dads guns for anything. :twocents:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would sell some guns and buy him a decent vehicle. I'm sure he would really appreciate a decent ride. If you ask this question on a board that isn't a gun owners board, you would have much different response. He may or may not care about having any old guns in the future. Not all people like or care about guns.

Top Bottom