• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Keep the guns.Do NOT sell them to buy a car. Even if your child does not care about the guns, you do, and will continue to in the future. Like has been said on here already and I speak from experience. You child will wreck it(at least once) inside of 9 months. Maybe not total it (lets hope not), but will at the LEAST give it some VERY noticeable dents and dings. I know because I gave ...yes GAVE my 17 year old son my paid for(low mileage) old 1993 GMC truck that had NO dings, dents, rust etc..to drive when he was in high school. Three months into it he RAKED the side of it from the front of the bed to the rear wheel well on the corner of a brick garage in a alley that I had told him was to tight to drive down. Then about 4 months later he hit a parked car in a parking lot with it by trying to fit in a spot that was to narrow. So it will happen. I beg you KEEP THE GUNS. Buy a old beater for the child.:twocents:

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    First car is not supposed to be nice. Just safe. Your son should provide the money to upgrade to a nicer car, if he wants.

Like ken others have said, builds character. Gotta do it early and often or it might not happen at all.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    We did not allow ours to drive some rattle trap, piece of junk, condemmed car/truck. No car till Sophmore yr of College! (20 soon to 21). We found a 6yr old Pickup, loaned my wife's car(8yrs old) to Son to commute to College. Two rules: Make your grades count, if you are busted for booze, or other, you are walking.

We kept insurance up, basic maintenance, and never had the smash up as others warned us. He did run a 80K speedo to 120K in 3yrs. When we decided to trade up, he got the 9yr old pickup, and we sprung for the Wifey new wheels. I had never owned a new car, in being married for 30 yrs. Yes it is mucho expensive. If the car hits the 8-10 yr old mark, they can still be decent. Never had a 3am, no start or broken down scenario. We do our stuff, it does it's stuff. Plugs, wires, fluids, battery, brakes, we attempt to handle ourselves. Major engine or tranny.... just never really had those. Have to refer to Mechanic.

As far as the guns: I had a lot of side jobs. As a investment and a hobby, built my own collection. Son's College took preference, sold off a ton, kept a couple, not really heirlooms, but everyday firearms. He also worked on campus, and home summer jobs, to help earn and learn. He did.

Only the OP can decide. I agree it's a one way deal. Sold, they are gone. Sometimes it may be best. Keep a couple, allow kids to mature with age. Driving is a big move.
    Yes, I attended some 10-50's and young drivers involved. It happens. Insurance does charge you plenty for that. Rather be over insured than under, even though it is at the rated requirements. We are still a little nervous and Son is in Grad School.

Good luck in your decision.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Guns are chunks of metal, they have no emotions, no magical attachments to humans, just make sure the car your children drive are as safe as possible, your children ain't coming back if they are killed in a old jeloppi with no airbags, or rotten rust.
    My children have always drove a car way better than me, for this reason, their not replaceable, your Guns are.

Top Bottom