• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Your son will own a lot of cars but he will only have one chance to own his grandfathers guns. Once you sell them they are gone for ever.
    I think that this says it very well. Having a first car that isn't the best isn't a bad thing! My first car was nice by my standards but by no means amazing. Even a nice car will not be near as nice in 2 to 3 years... Keep the guns! Your son will appreciate any vehicle and cherish its memory in the long run, especially when he one day has his grandfathers gun with the meaning behind them. But that's just my opinion.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I say take him out to shoot some of the guns and on the trip home (While he is still smiling from the gun powder smell) explain to him about what your able to do about getting him a vehicle. Hopefully you haven't mentioned anything to him about selling them to purchase a vehicle. If you did and he would rather have the Vehicle it could cause some dislike for the guns, at least temporarily.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Years from now, every time you reflect back to those guns you sold, you get this empty gut feeling that leaves you physically sick and depressed.

I know I still do....:(

Don't do it.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I assume you are in Indiana and even if he turns 16 soon it will still be 6 months before he can get his license. You should have known the advice you would get on this forum (which all of it I agree with 100%) especially when you post the pics of those wonderful old Smiths and Walthers. My first car was a '62 chevy biscayne that I bought from my Dad for $150 that I saved up by mowing lawns, etc.
    I wish I still had that one. Fortunately my wife's Dad is still alive and bought our son his first vehicle which wasn't new by any means but was a great little Ford ranger. He drove it for several years then we passed it down to our daughter. The great thing about those older cars is, like everyone here is saying if they bang it up it's no big deal. We have been fortunate enough to be able to pass down cars, but I also both of my kids have shot my Dad's guns and wouldn't let me sell them for a car because they already know which ones they want when I go to the happy hunting grounds
    Like I said a lot of good advice here and he will thank you years down the road when he has the great stories about his first vehicle.
    And about those guns in the pics, all I can say is WOW

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    get the junk car the other kids on there phones will hit it in the school parking lot happen twice to my first car, old Plymouth k car loved that car cause it saved my life got t boned by a driver that ran a light at 50 mph didn't even get scratched.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    A family heirloom is irreplaceable. I'd say this about any family treasure, not just your Pop's guns. Like others up thread have said, having a serviceable, but maybe not that great a set of wheels is a character builder. Kids need to struggle through a few things as they grow. Set a budget and help him shop, its a good learning experience for him. Craigslist can yield some good finds (No, this isnt mine)

attachment.php

Attachments

• truck.JPG
      truck.JPG
      23.4 KB · Views: 185

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I got a hearty handshake on my 16th and I think a $20 in a card.

I have bought and insured every motorcycle and car I have had in my life.
    My family also isn't very firearm friendly so I buy all of my firearms as well.

I know I would have turned cartwheels had either of these items ever been a gift from my family. :rockwoot:

My sister has gotten several cars and until she got married, never paid an insurance bill. Her husband took those over, buying her cars and insuring them until the divorce. Pop has decided to pick both up again for her though so her record remains unblemished. She has picked out many cars but hae yet to buy or insure one in her entire life. :(

Much like Warthog, nobody ever gave me anything. I had to earn/buy anything I needed/wanted. When I was younger I had some resentment towards my parents. They have been divorced since I was 18 (I was in boot camp USMC) when I got the letter that my Dad had moved out. Anyway back on topic, I think you should look around for a decent first car without selling your fathers guns. Once sold, you will never get them back. If you had to sell some, I would NOT sell the Smith's, that was one thing my Dad did pass on to me was the love of a good Smith & Wesson revolver. Both of my parents are still alive and both are still financially irresponsible. I have very little contact with either one of them for various reasons.
    That could be a topic for another thread. Let's just say I've never had it easy......ever! It does/has build/built character to buy your own stuff. You take care of it much better than when it's handed to you.
    YMMV.
    Gunner

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I couldn't agree more with the advice you're getting. When my daughter was growing up, we did a lot of "matching", payments, and "I'll give you xxx amount, and the rest is up to you." She's always been really responsible, I'd like to take some credit for that, but it may be that we just got lucky! I'd keep those guns until you really don't want them, if that time ever comes!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Whatever you do, don't part with the guns. You can always help him get a car, but you won't be able to get those guns back.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Crappy first car. Look, he's a new driver. Statistically he's going to crash it, at least a little. There's ZERO reason to start a new driver off in an expensive car. Let him cut his teeth on something safe but inexpensive, save on the insurance and the inevitable dents and dings depreciation, and hold on to those guns.

When he's a grown man, this car will be nothing but a hand full of memories and a story or two. Those guns will be something he can pass on to HIS children.
    Take note. I have one of them there 16 year old things. 7 days after license - dads bmw had the entire passenger side rearranged. A week later, he backed the same side into a basket ball pole... just saying... He is now looking for his own car in the $2500 and under range. Yes, I still let him drive mine, and it is fixed (mostly)...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've got to agree with the others. If he's into guns at all then 20 years down the road he will much rather have the sentimental value of grandpa's old guns than the memories of the nice car he used to drive. Most of us have great stories about the piece of crap cars we had when we were his age anyway. A nicer car now may be instant gratification, but when he's a little older and wiser he will be glad to have the history and family connection.

Good post.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Agree with all of the above posts about crappy first cars. Mine was a 1977 Ford Granada 2 door and I tore the hell out of it.

If it had been a new truck, I would have tore the hell out of it too.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Maybe I'm just sentimental but I can't imagine selling anything that I inherited from my dad that I know he loved. I say keep the guns, enjoy them with your sons (or daughters) and when the time comes, hand the guns down to them.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Kids don't need nice cars. They neglect them, wreck them, and race them.

They need rusty 4 cylinders with lots of airbags and a tapedeck.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Crappy first car. Look, he's a new driver. Statistically he's going to crash it, at least a little. There's ZERO reason to start a new driver off in an expensive car. Let him cut his teeth on something safe but inexpensive, save on the insurance and the inevitable dents and dings depreciation, and hold on to those guns.

When he's a grown man, this car will be nothing but a hand full of memories and a story or two. Those guns will be something he can pass on to HIS children.

This...^^^^^^^^.....But.....If you decide to let one go please pm me regarding the model 17 Smith....I am a bit of a tramp when it comes to K 22's...:)

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

Agreed.....

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Kids don't need nice cars. They neglect them, wreck them, and race them.

They need rusty 4 cylinders with lots of airbags and a tapedeck.

Don't forget seats that recline.............all the way back. :):

Hmmm-
    Maybe we shouldn't be promoting that. :rolleyes:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

YES, my first car, was a 1966 Plymouth Station Wagon. I was laughed at. BUT, I had wheels, and a lot of "friends" that needed rides.

Anyway, I raced and wrecked, and fixed it myself..... My dads rules, were I paid insurance, and TIRES.

By the way, Don't sell the S&W's, unless I get 1st pick.....

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    A nice care will mean a lot to him today. But if you have passed down your (and your father's) love of firearms, passing the collection to him some day will mean a lot more. I have a few firearms that were my grandfathers. I haven't even taken them out of the safe in years. But I wouldn't get rid of them for the world. Something to think about.

Top Bottom