• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    well ingo i need some advice. my dad passed almost 8 years ago and left me quite a few guns that he loved. some he shot and some were safe queens. my oldest son is about to turn 16 and i told him i would help him buy his first car or truck but i haven't had much luck saving the money i thought i would. i know if my parents were still here they would have helped him too but they're not. my dad liked s&w's, walthers, and winchester pumps(1890's,12's, 42's, 61's, and 62's)but he loved his grandsons. my question is should i sell some queens that i dont shoot or should he just get a crappy first car with the money we've saved? i know i wont sell them all or might save them for my 3 boys not sure. which will be worth more 30 yrs down the road when my grandchildren need something? here are a few pics of some at the front of the safe.
    20141214_021707_zps6f9305d8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20141214_023411_zpsb7a057b1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20141214_0235531_zps413c6a4f.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    c30d00f9-2017-4724-9247-3611f8def18f_zpse5119c7a.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    b2e0a086-3f88-4623-b003-066e0489de04_zpsd183ed34.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought all but 1 of my 1st cars. Matter of fact, except for a 4WD beast my Fiance now my wife bought me I have purchased every car I have ever owned.
    It builds character.
    JMHO of course.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Crappy first car. Look, he's a new driver. Statistically he's going to crash it, at least a little. There's ZERO reason to start a new driver off in an expensive car. Let him cut his teeth on something safe but inexpensive, save on the insurance and the inevitable dents and dings depreciation, and hold on to those guns.

When he's a grown man, this car will be nothing but a hand full of memories and a story or two. Those guns will be something he can pass on to HIS children.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Agree with the guys above. Keep the guns. A cheap/junker first car makes for better stories 10+ years later anyway. He may not like it now, but he'll like it then.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Actually my daughters first car we called the zen bucket. Hardly paid anything for it and when you shut the door it left little rust piles.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just get a junk first car. Like above, statistically, it's just going to get wrecked. Plus, kids just thrash cars anyway. It'll also teach them to appreciate a nice car once they get one.

And I'm sure they'll end up thanking you for keeping those heirlooms in the future.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    why not tell him you will match what he saves for a car up to a point? that gives you both options - you can put some cash aside for his car and buy him one, and if need be, sell a safe queen or two?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In regards to car ownership, the best gift you can give your child is the experience of saving for, buying, and maintaining his/her own vehicles by themselves. It has been my experience that pride in ownership is maximized when the child's hard earned money is at risk.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    well my plan was to match him but he told everyone he wants money for Christmas so he might have more than me come February lol . he still keeps hinting he needs a quad cab duramax 4x4 . i laugh and tell him good luck.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In regards to car ownership, the best gift you can give your child is the experience of saving for, buying, and maintaining his/her own vehicles by themselves. It has been my experience that pride in ownership is maximized when the child's hard earned money is at risk.

Boy, I have to agree with this.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    my parents bought my sister and i our first cars - other than that, everythign was on us (to a point - when my trans blew up, i obviously couldnt afford that...) - him saving for it will certainly add to the experience

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Crappy car ... crappy car... crappy car ... crappy car ... crappy car!

He doesn't need nice wheels. For a 16 year old any car will provide the same sense of freedom, independence and mobility. Plus, insurance is much cheaper with a beater. He will at least be paying for his own insurance right?

You will regret selling your Dad's guns ... especially when the boy wrecks his first car. And he will wreck it eventually.

I paid $800 for my first car, so I didn't care when I smashed it up 2 years later. I bought the next one for $500.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    You should remember, maybe from experience; give a 16yo a new car and it will be a beater in no time. That is some beautiful iron in your pics. They are valuable now and ain't never gonna get worth less.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I got a hearty handshake on my 16th and I think a $20 in a card.

I have bought and insured every motorcycle and car I have had in my life.
    My family also isn't very firearm friendly so I buy all of my firearms as well.

I know I would have turned cartwheels had either of these items ever been a gift from my family. :rockwoot:

My sister has gotten several cars and until she got married, never paid an insurance bill. Her husband took those over, buying her cars and insuring them until the divorce. Pop has decided to pick both up again for her though so her record remains unblemished. She has picked out many cars but hae yet to buy or insure one in her entire life. :(

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Your son will own a lot of cars but he will only have one chance to own his grandfathers guns. Once you sell them they are gone for ever.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Unless you're going to use ALL those 'safe queens' as a SMALL deposit on a true collectors car (Ferrari Dino, etc.), keep the firearms.

HELP him buy his first car (as you agreed to do), but let him ALSO help himself. In 30 years, when he's 46, he'll understand and appreciate it much more as something the two of you did together.

And he'll have those same 'safe queens' to show the next generation of INGO'ers, and something of which he can still (then) be proud.

You can replace a 'first car' but you can't replace a 'legacy'.

JMO.

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    Perhaps ask him if he would rather have a couple of the pistols when he's old enough, or if he would rather you sell them to put toward the car?
    If he likes firearms he might pick the pistols.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Most cars are bad investments... If you really want to be good to your boys. Hang on to the guns for now and wait for college. That will be worth the cost of getting rid of a few guns as that is an investment

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Those pistols need to not even be on the table until you're "done" with them, to quote my beloved pop.
    Help the boy buy what HE can afford. And make him pay his own insurance, and make sure he drives something large. Safety gets a lot better every model year, but there's no substitute for mass. Passengers of larger cars do better in a crash.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I've got to agree with the others. If he's into guns at all then 20 years down the road he will much rather have the sentimental value of grandpa's old guns than the memories of the nice car he used to drive. Most of us have great stories about the piece of crap cars we had when we were his age anyway. A nicer car now may be instant gratification, but when he's a little older and wiser he will be glad to have the history and family connection.

Top Bottom