S&W M&P9mm Compact (CC/Magazine/External Safety questions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    If you've ever atteneded a pistol match you'll quickly see who does and who does not practice their draws when the thumb safeties come out. All too often a good shot will forget to turn it off and you know they've never practiced drawing their gun from the holster.

I shot USPSA with my M&P and IDPA with my Ruger SR9c. Not only is it a pain to remember to disengage the safety, I also have to remember to rack the slide after a reload with the Ruger.

M&P with no safety and built in automatic slide release for me!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I got a 17 rounder from Midway 2 weeks ago for, I think, $32. Who knows if any are left.

I have been looking for a 17 round mag the last 2 days and i cannot find ANY, ANYWHERE. I wanted to at least just have one since i'm getting the 9c but i guess thats not possible.

I contacted my local lgs about finding an M&P 9c with the thumb safety from one of his dealers because i cannot find them anywhere. I can find them without the thumb safety but not with.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Daily carrier of a .40c with no ext safety for over three years and always with one in the chamber. No reason to have the ext safety on this one unless YOU want it (or feel more comfortable that way). For me, following the basic safety rules means the gun doesn't go bang unless you want it to. No real reason to put any unnessary steps/points of failure on a gun you could be defending your life with. Can you be just as fast/effective if you've practices carrying with a thumb safety, sure you can, but should something ever happen and cause you to pull your weapon, I want as few of steps as possible before I can discharge my weapon.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have been looking for a 17 round mag the last 2 days and i cannot find ANY, ANYWHERE. I wanted to at least just have one since i'm getting the 9c but i guess thats not possible.

I contacted my local lgs about finding an M&P 9c with the thumb safety from one of his dealers because i cannot find them anywhere. I can find them without the thumb safety but not with.

get what you can. jmho. where are you finding them? I may pick one up for myself.

go to a gun show and pay through the nose for the mag.

order a grip extender soon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    get what you can. jmho. where are you finding them? I may pick one up for myself.

go to a gun show and pay through the nose for the mag.

order a grip extender soon.

I've just called around to gunstores in the Terre Haute area and some have the compact but none of them have it with the thumb safety. I'm going to a gun show sunday, so i'm going to see if i can find a 17 round mag as long as they aren't picked over by sunday.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've just called around to gunstores in the Terre Haute area and some have the compact but none of them have it with the thumb safety. I'm going to a gun show sunday, so i'm going to see if i can find a 17 round mag as long as they aren't picked over by sunday.

They'll be gone by Saturday.

Maybe Friday night.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    After talking with dozens and dozens of IN gun shops asking if they had the m&p compact w/ thumb safety availible all of them said no.

At about 4:00, one of those called me back (Midland Guns and Ammo) and said he had talked to his dealer rep who was allocating some and he was only allowed to purchase one of them, FOR ME!

So, come Wednesday, i will be a new owner to the M&P line.

Thanks for all the help guys!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    After talking with dozens and dozens of IN gun shops asking if they had the m&p compact w/ thumb safety availible all of them said no.

At about 4:00, one of those called me back (Midland Guns and Ammo) and said he had talked to his dealer rep who was allocating some and he was only allowed to purchase one of them, FOR ME!

So, come Wednesday, i will be a new owner to the M&P line.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Congrats! Be sure to give us a shout when you get the new one home!

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    My wife has the compact and demanded the safety. She feels very much more comfortable with it at this time. I would get what you think you will be comfortable with. Do not let anyone talk you away from the safety if you really would rather have it. Im comfortable with my g19 but it took me a long while to feel ok carrying with a round chambered. I carriedbwithout one chambered but with the trigger set or cocked for quite awhile without an ad or nd (if a round had of been chambered) before I felt ready. On top of that, if I go to a new holster and theres any question whatsoevervabout it I will not chamberca round untill im sure of the safety facter. My opinion...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Congrats! Be sure to give us a shout when you get the new one home!

I finally got it in today from Midland Guns & Ammo in Jasonville, IN I would suggest this guy to anyone! He didn't even know me when i called into his shop last week asking for the hard task of tracking one of these down. I called 26 different Gun Shops before someone could find this (because it has the thumb safety) and he bent over backwards to help out a customer he didn't even know. Great guy to deal with!

He also had 9mm ammo (keyword: had) and even though it is TulAmmo, I got 5 boxes for $11.15 a box! Small selection, but great prices and owner

Brand new M&P 9c and even though its the same as all others, THIS ONE'S MINE!:rockwoot:
    IMG_1298.JPG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Fantastic! And congratulations! I think the M&P9c is a brilliant gun! Excellent choice and thanks for the pics. Be sure to let us know how she shoots!

Will do! a fellow INGOer just got done cleaning up/fixing my old .38 S&W Model 10-7, so i'll be taking them both out for the first time on the same day. There's nothing better then adding new guns to the collection!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You will love your M&P 9c. I used to carry mine (w/o safety) all the time and I love shooting it. Trust me, the safety is a non-issue but it makes you feel better and that is all that matters. It is one gun that I can't ever see myself selling even though it has been demoted to home defense only now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Great gun! As you know, I have the same one. I added a couple of 17 round mags with the X-Grip and after some shooting, I replaced the flat baseplate on the second mag with a pinky-hook baseplate that I got from Midway for a couple of bucks. Now get some shooting in and enjoy!

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I have an MP9c, nice little gun. Unlesd you pull the trigger, it will not fire. I've tried numerous drops & other tests I shouldn't admit with a blank round chambered. It won't fire unless you need it to. Not taking into account any modifications that may be done to MPs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have an MP9c, nice little gun. Unlesd you pull the trigger, it will not fire. I've tried numerous drops & other tests I shouldn't admit with a blank round chambered. It won't fire unless you need it to. Not taking into account any modifications that may be done to MPs.

I'm pleased with it so far although i haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. I'm new to carrying so i got the thumb safety simply for peace of mind. I just figure if i get comfortable with it always on my hip and loaded, then i can always take it out.

Top Bottom