• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I got the chance to hold both today, compact and full size. I'm not sure the compact is going to fit my hand without the extended mag. The full size felt great, I'm just not sure I like my pinky hanging below the mag.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I thought the same thing when I bought mine. I just knew that I would never use the flat base because my hands are wide but my fingers are short. Now that is the only base I use. It conceals better. I got used to not having my pinky on the grip and feels just as good to me. I use the pinky extension mag when I'm shooting for fun though. And I got a couple of 17 rnd mags just to keep from reloading so much while paying for time at the range.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Copperwires~was the extension mag enough to keep you pinky on the grip? I'm pretty long but skinny fingered, my whole pinky is off the standard mag. I guess it something I can get use to so long as the recoil isn't so bad that the gun wants to rotate out of my hand. I havn't held one with the extended mag yet, that'll probably allow me to decide. I'd love the compact simply for ability to conceal, but I know that if it's not comfortable, I won't carry it. No point in getting something I won't want to carry.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The feel between the M&P and Glock is as different as night and day. I was a little off with my brick comment. I should have said a brick with stubble. ;)
    While I agree with both feeling completely different, comparing my M&P9 and my G23, the G23 feels much better in my hand, and it's even slightly smaller in my gigantor hands.:twocents:

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Copperwires~was the extension mag enough to keep you pinky on the grip? I'm pretty long but skinny fingered, my whole pinky is off the standard mag. I guess it something I can get use to so long as the recoil isn't so bad that the gun wants to rotate out of my hand. I havn't held one with the extended mag yet, that'll probably allow me to decide. I'd love the compact simply for ability to conceal, but I know that if it's not comfortable, I won't carry it. No point in getting something I won't want to carry.

Yes, the extended grip fits my whole hand perfectly. With the flat base mag, my ring finger is perfectly flush with the bottom of the grip. At first I didn't want to use the flat base mag. I would switch them out when I would leave the house. Then I got really busy and didn't have time to switch mags as I ran out the door. I ended up leaving the flat base mag in all the time. I practice for real life which meant that I had to practice with the flat base mag in. I accidentally got used to it. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

If you were closer, I would let you shoot it as much as you want before you buy one.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    If you were closer, I would let you shoot it as much as you want before you buy one.

Greatly appriciate the offer. I've been fortunate enough to find someone (ISHOOTHTS's) nearby who is willing to meet me at the range and shoot both, his compact and full size. I'm not sure if he's got the extended mags or not, either way it'll be a great opportunity for me to figure out what I want. Can't say thank you enough to both of you for the offers as I havn't found any rentals to shoot. I think we're goona try and meet late this week or sometime next.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Awesome, I didn't realize that it came with one of each. Have you guys had any experience with the adapter for the higher cap mag's. I think it allows 15 round mags in the .40. Please excuse the bayonet, this pic was copied from another forum.

Here's a link on where it's avail for purchase. I think with this I would have no worries about the compact if the pinky rest wasn't enough by itself.

X-Grip Magazine Spacer Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9/40

Last edited:

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    That spacer is so that you can use the full size mags in a compact and add grip to the mag or else wise you will be have your hand on the mag stuck out the end of the mag well.

Full size mags fit in compacts and work just fine but that spacer is just for grip.

.40 comes in 15 round mags. 10 round mags are for california compliant guns.

Compact .40 comes in 10 compact size round mags.

I will post a picture of what I mean later on tonight.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The magazines in my M&P9 do not sit flush in the cavity. There is at least 1/8" gap between the floor plate and the bottom of the well. What's up with that?

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    That spacer is so that you can use the full size mags in a compact and add grip to the mag or else wise you will be have your hand on the mag stuck out the end of the mag well.

Full size mags fit in compacts and work just fine but that spacer is just for grip.

Compact .40 comes in 10 compact size round mags.

I believe I understand what you mean. For the adapter to work, I know I'd have to buy additional full size mags. My point was, that if I'm not comfortable with the regular compact mags, I could always buy these and be fine.

So, since this is possible, sounds like my biggest question is how "snappy" the compact is compared to the full size.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    anyone with an Apex sear installed going to be at Friday Night Steel?

I'd like to pop off a few rounds to see how it feels. I've shot the 9Pro and would like to see what the Apex feels like.

I personally thought the Vanek Trigger in my Glock was better than the 9Pro (which was a little better than the 3.5 trigger and .25 polish job), but I'm interested in testing out the Apex.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    anyone with an Apex sear installed going to be at Friday Night Steel?

I'd like to pop off a few rounds to see how it feels. I've shot the 9Pro and would like to see what the Apex feels like.

I personally thought the Vanek Trigger in my Glock was better than the 9Pro (which was a little better than the 3.5 trigger and .25 polish job), but I'm interested in testing out the Apex.

Why, yes we will:yesway:, the Apex that Nick installed on my .40 M&P,, I may or may not shoot on this first go around, but I will bring the Pro and the .40, maybe even the Kimber:D

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I have a full size 9 in my holster as I type this.

-Shoots well, seems to point quite well.
    -I have about 1500-rounds through it, not a single hiccup.

Things I wish were different:
    -The ramped rear factory sight doesn't belong on a defensive firearm. It doesn't give you much to catch it on to run the slide one handed should you need to.
    - I dislike the Ruger-type lever in the mag well that needs to be thrown for disassembly. Try doing that in a dark ditch some night - not that many of us ever will, but then again they named the pistol the 'MILITARY and Police.'
    -I find the trigger guard edge cuts into my strong hand middle fingers second knuckle. So do all Glocks, and like the Glock, the problem was easily solved with a file and some sand paper.

My copy has no manual safety or magazine disconnect, nor would I want either.

Over all, I'm quite happy with it. I find the large grip insert helps me control my trigger just a little better. When I dry fire, the smaller grip pannel seems to allow me to flex my entire hand a minor amount, which causes more front sight bounce when the trigger breaks. That's obviously an operator issue and not the guns, but the large grip helps me cover up my own shooting problems just a bit.

Good pistol, and I'll probably keep carrying it until I decide to try something else out.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    I believe I understand what you mean. For the adapter to work, I know I'd have to buy additional full size mags. My point was, that if I'm not comfortable with the regular compact mags, I could always buy these and be fine.

So, since this is possible, sounds like my biggest question is how "snappy" the compact is compared to the full size.

Heres full size mag in compact, without the grip spacer. Yes you could buy the full size mags and add the spacer but will be harder conceal if that was an issue for you. I dont care about consealing but im not that open with it either.

picture.php

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom